London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
superman2012 said:
Hi. Our relationship is 2 years now. We are in long distance relationship for 2 years and now I'm here in Canada as intl student. By 2015 we will apply for common law sponsorshilp 'coz next year will be our first year of living each other and it will be our 3 years anniversary at the time we will apply for PR nxt year.
The two years timer to avoid being initially imposed with Condition 51 starts AFTER your 12 months of continuous cohabitation to qualify for common-law status and does not include any time before that date. The 2 years of "long distance relationship" will not be considered. CIC consider this to be "dating" and not a CIC recognized "formal" relationship.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
superman2012 said:
What conditional permanent residence means for you
If you have been granted conditional permanent residence, you must live together with your sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years from the day you receive conditional permanent residence. The condition ends after the two-year period.

Am I affected by this new measure?
Yes, if your application was received on or after October 25, 2012.

Yes, if you have been in a relationship of two years or less and do not have children in common with your sponsor.

No, if you have been in a relationship with your sponsor for more than two years.

No, if you had children in common with your sponsor at the time of your sponsorship application.

Guys I think I will not be consider as conditional PR (as stated above) since me and my partner will be having 3 years in relationship upon submitting the application. I
Unfortunately, you misunderstood the legislation and you will be subject to conditional PR under Condition 51. Sorry, but that's the way it works...

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
which again, NO Biggie really....doesn't affect genuine couples one bit ;)

zardoz said:
Unfortunately, you misunderstood the legislation and you will be subject to conditional PR under Condition 51. Sorry, but that's the way it works...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
VioletBlue said:
which again, NO Biggie really....doesn't affect genuine couples one bit ;)
Absolutely agree..

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
I saw many people asked about this question again and again.....I really don't understand about their minds . If you guys are worry about Conditional PR , it means you guys are not ready for commitment or not ready to sponsor your common law or your spouse.

I think Canada is not really tough in spousal sponsorship compare to USA , please correct me if I am wrong because I read it on the internet and not have any experience about spousal sponsorship in USA.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sunsun said:
I saw many people asked about this question again and again.....I really don't understand about their minds . If you guys are worry about Conditional PR , it means you guys are not ready for commitment or not ready to sponsor your common law or your spouse.

I think Canada is not really tough in spousal sponsorship compare to USA , please correct me if I am wrong because I read it on the internet and not have any experience about spousal sponsorship in USA.
Sometimes CIC do get it wrong and incorrectly apply Condition 51 to an application. In those cases, it's reasonable to question the rules and understand them. They did this in my application and had to reissue a corrected COPR document.
In this particular case however, there is no confusion of the rules and conditions will apply to the OP.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
Agreed with many other posters.

My Partners PR is subject to Condition 51 despite having been a relationship for nearly five years as we only lived under the same roof for two of those 4.5 years prior to applying. His work visa kept him in a town that was 350 km away, he used my house as home base on the weekends and as a permanent address, but our relationship was not considered common-law during that time because we didn't live together full time.

It doesn't make a lick of difference, nor do either of us care that the condition is there. We are committed just like a legally married couple and certainly are staying together for far more reasons that his PR status.

Often people make a wincing expression (jokingly) when we tell them that his PR is conditional for two years, it certainly is difficult to have peers take a common-law relationship seriously, people assume we're just "dating" .

Perhaps thats because common-law gets tossed around so much to describe long term relationships? I don't know.

OP, yes you will be subject to conditional PR, but it should be a moot point if you are applying for residency under spousal class IMO.