+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conditinal pr

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
Hi me and my partner are planning to apply for PR common law nxt year, However we are confused if we are still under conditional PR if our application got approve. We 're in relationship for 2years now and by the time we apply for PR nxt year our relationship will turns to 3 years. We don't have children.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
superman2012 said:
Hi me and my partner are planning to apply for PR common law nxt year, However we are confused if we are still under conditional PR if our application got approve. We 're in relationship for 2years now and by the time we apply for PR nxt year our relationship will turns to 3 years. We don't have children.
How long will you have lived together by the time you apply for PR? If it's less than three years - PR will be conditional. If you have lived together for three years or more at the time you apply - PR will not be conditional.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
scylla said:
How long will you have lived together by the time you apply for PR? If it's less than three years - PR will be conditional. If you have lived together for three years or more at the time you apply - PR will not be conditional.
We live year before we apply for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
superman2012 said:
We live year before we apply for PR.
Then your PR will be conditional.

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
A permanent resident with condition 51 is still a full permanent resident. The condition is just a way by which the PR status can be investigated and revoked, if the new PR and their sponsor cease living together.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
Majromax said:
A permanent resident with condition 51 is still a full permanent resident. The condition is just a way by which the PR status can be investigated and revoked, if the new PR and their sponsor cease living together.
Hi thanks for your insight. I hope our application next year will be fine and for now we are gathering many evidence as we can and by next year hopefuly we gonna apply for PR

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
scylla said:
Did the laws change? I was certain that it was 2 years, then went to check CIC and it's 2 years (news release from 2012):

"Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the Regulations) which apply to spouses, common-law or conjugal partners in a relationship of two years or less with their sponsor and who have no children in common with their sponsor at the time they submit their sponsorship application. The sponsored spouse must cohabit in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day on which they receive their permanent resident status in Canada. If they do not remain in the relationship, the sponsored spouse’s status could be revoked. The conditional measure only applies to permanent residents whose applications are received on or after October 25, 2012—the day that the amendments came into force.

Aside from the need to satisfy the two-year requirement, conditional permanent residence does not differ from normal permanent residence.
"

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp (under "What is conditional permanent residence?")

OP has been in a common-law partnership with the future sponsor for 2 years, and plan to apply after 1 year from now (vide quote below), totalling 3 years of common-law partnership by the time the application is submitted. They will have satisfied the two-year requirement.

superman2012 said:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MiriamT said:
Did the laws change? I was certain that it was 2 years, then went to check CIC and it's 2 years (news release from 2012):
No - the laws haven't changed. You have to be in a common law relationship for 2 years before you apply to avoid conditional PR. Being common law for 2 years means you have to live together for 3 years. You aren't common law until you have completed the first year of living together - you then need an additional 2 years of living together - that makes 3 years of living together to avoid conditional PR.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
MiriamT said:

"Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has introduced amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (the Regulations) which apply to spouses, common-law or conjugal partners in a relationship of two years or less with their sponsor and who have no children in common with their sponsor at the time they submit their sponsorship application. The sponsored spouse must cohabit in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day on which they receive their permanent resident status in Canada. If they do not remain in the relationship, the sponsored spouse's status could be revoked. The conditional measure only applies to permanent residents whose applications are received on or after October 25, 2012—the day that the amendments came into force.

Aside from the need to satisfy the two-year requirement, conditional permanent residence does not differ from normal permanent residence.
"

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp (under "What is conditional permanent residence?")

OP has been in a common-law partnership with the future sponsor for 2 years, and plan to apply after 1 year from now (vide quote below), totalling 3 years of common-law partnership by the time the application is submitted. They will have satisfied the two-year requirement.
Hi. Our relationship is 2 years now. We are in long distance relationship for 2 years and now I'm here in Canada as intl student. By 2015 we will apply for common law sponsorshilp 'coz next year will be our first year of living each other and it will be our 3 years anniversary at the time we will apply for PR nxt year.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
scylla said:
No - the laws haven't changed. You have to be in a common law relationship for 2 years before you apply to avoid conditional PR. Being common law for 2 years means you have to live together for 3 years. You aren't common law until you have completed the first year of living together - you then need an additional 2 years of living together - that makes 3 years of living together to avoid conditional PR.
Wow that's an easy to miss bit of math, but makes sense.

What bugs me about this whole conditional nonsense is they don't take into account married people who have lived together long before they are married. If they accept 3 years for common-law why not give credit for this as married people?
The only reason I can think of is it would take a more complicated application to prove your common-law and marriage, whereas a marriage date is a simple matter. Ah well no big deal.

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
What conditional permanent residence means for you
If you have been granted conditional permanent residence, you must live together with your sponsor in a legitimate relationship for two years from the day you receive conditional permanent residence. The condition ends after the two-year period.

Am I affected by this new measure?
Yes, if your application was received on or after October 25, 2012.

Yes, if you have been in a relationship of two years or less and do not have children in common with your sponsor.

No, if you have been in a relationship with your sponsor for more than two years.

No, if you had children in common with your sponsor at the time of your sponsorship application.

Guys I think I will not be consider as conditional PR (as stated above) since me and my partner will be having 3 years in relationship upon submitting the application. I

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why does it even Matter??? You are in a GENUINE relationship so condition or NO condition makes no difference...really! No need to STRESS yourself out...Its to weed out people who try to get PR by marrying their sponsor and then ditch him/her As Soon as they get PR..

superman2012

Nov 20, 2014
VioletBlue said:
Why does it even Matter??? You are in a GENUINE relationship so condition or NO condition makes no difference...really! No need to STRESS yourself out...Its to weed out people who try to get PR by marrying their sponsor and then ditch him/her As Soon as they get PR..
Nope, I'm not stressing my self. I'm just curious about this conditional PR that's why am posting this thread to help many people here who have the same question as mine.

M

mikeymyke

The only people who would really be worried about Condition 51 are either the ones who want to stay in Canada no matter what, whether divorced or not, or one spouse has a job outside Canada.

Otherwise, there is no reason to really worry about it, as long as you're in a genuine relationship, Condition 51 will come and go without any action on your part.