+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concerns on FBI Clearance Forms

Oct 25, 2007
I've followed along with this outline carefully, but have questions when it comes to the "Principal Applicant" questionnaire fields. Surname, Given Names, etc. are straightforward enough. But some of the latter questions are ambiguous.

1) "Date and Placr of Birth"
Date is obvious enough. But is place of birth supposed to include city and state/province, or is all that's needed the country of birth? See, there isn't really any room for the former.

2) "In this space list all addresses and dates of residence in [country/countries]"
Now are they asking for all current addresses, or all historical ones? My wife has lived in the U.S. all her life, and only one state since she was eighteen. She has, however, had numerous addresses in the same town, most of which she has little or no record of. Obviously, there's only room for one address in the space provided... so I tend to assume the latter. Are we safe with writing in her current address, and "date-of-birth to current" for date of residence?

I'm not sure how much these things matter, but there aren't clear instructions and I don't want to make any mistakes that may result in our request being refused.

As well, we got my wife's fingerprints taken this morning, and I have a few concerns:

3) On the FBI cover letter, is it okay for the "mail to" address to be my name and address, in Canada? Or does it need to be my American wife's name, C/O me, or something?

4) The FBI instructions here specify "Obtain proof of identity, which consists of a set of your fingerprints (original card, no copies), with your name, date of birth and place of birth." We got my wife's fingerprints taken on the official card, from the local jail. Trouble is, even though the technician asked for her place of birth, it doesn't appear to be printed on the completed fingerprint card. In fact, this card, while I'm sure it's official, is a little different than this one the FBI links to, and I don't think this one even has a field for place of birth.

As well, all the other printed information wasn't calibrated properly for the card, and while social security number, name, D.O.B., etc. are all there, they're not in (or sometimes even near) the boxes they're supposed to be in. The technician had her sign the card, but it's in the box above where her signature is supposed to be. The electronically taken fingerprints also sometimes go over the lines just a bit.

Does any of this matter? Should we include a photocopy of her birth certificate or driver's license to show her city and state of birth? Should we draft our own cover letter to be added, and include that information in it?

Thank you!

Oct 25, 2007
Ack, I noticed that the Canadian guide specifies that you include "Attn: SCU, Mod D-2" in the address. I didn't do this... I just used the address on the FBI site:

FBI CJIS Division - Record Request
2000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia

Will that be okay? Or might not including that attn. delay the processing of my request? Should I pen it in a little ways beneath the zip code on the address label?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
There's a cover letter on the FBI's website that you should use (or should have used).

The fingerprint form doesn't have to be completely filled out - only certain sections. You'll probably be ok.

I think the address you used will be ok. You mentioned "record request," and that sums it up.