+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated immigration issue-please help!

AB81

May 5, 2010
I am a British citizen, and I have lived and worked in Toronto for almost 2 years.
However, my job description has changed and my Human Resources department cannot apply for a Labour Market Opinion for me, despite the fact that they have offered me another extension of my contract if I can somehow stay.

It seems my only other options are to find another job immediately (with an employer willing to go out of their way to help me get a positive Labour Market Opinion which I heard would take about 4 months), or to apply for Permanent Residence status, which takes 14-16 months.

I will have 22 months skilled worker experience by the time my visa expires, but I don't think this is enough for CEC. This is because I was forced to stop working for 2 months last summer due to an error in the HR department regarding the extension of my current visa.

Does anyone have ANY ideas as to what my options are? I have a home, partner and great friends, and I don't want to be forced to leave this behind. My current visa expires in June 2010.

Thanks

pending

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-2009
Do you qualify for common law with your partner and they can sponser you??

AB81

May 5, 2010
We don't live together, so I am assuming that this isn't an option. Thanks for your reply though

pending

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-2009
No it is not unless you guys are willing to get marrie dnad then you can apply for an open work permit while your file is being processed.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
AB81 said:
We don't live together, so I am assuming that this isn't an option. Thanks for your reply though
Best to look for an employer now who's willing to submit LMO for you. Apply for extension/change of status to wait out the processing of LMO/work permit, before the expiration of your current status. You'd be on implied status till you hear from CPC-V.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp

AB81

May 5, 2010
Hi,

I am doing everything I can think of right now to find an employer who will help me get a positive LMO. Few seem keen though, because of the delays it would create regarding the job's start date.
I spoke to a lawyer who suggested applying for my work permit without an LMO-that way I would have maybe 6 weeks of implied status, even though the work permit application will be rejected.
Is there any other way I can get extended/implied status so that I can work towards getting the 24 months work experience needed for CEC?

Thanks for your advice

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
No.....I am sorry but applying for the work visa extension will give you a little more time, but without a LMO the visa will be rejected and you have to stop work immediately.

Why does your current employer not want to apply for an LMO, apart from advertising costs the actual paperwork costs nothing.

Unless you can find an employer whom is willing to apply for a LMO, and the actual initial work involved ie advertising locally as well as nationally can take a few months before the application can be sent in, you will probably be forced to stop work at some point.

Good luck.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Oh the other option is for your employer to apply for a PNP.

Is this an option???

Would they be willing to sponsor you in the PNP programme, if so, depending on the Provence, it will take up to 16 weeks for the approval and you can continue working on 'implied status' until a decision is made. Once an approval of the PNP is made, usually you can continue working as you apply for your PR.

I don't know much about the PNP route, try looking at the forum here.

AB81

May 5, 2010
hi
thanks for your response. unfortunately my work will not consider the PNP option.
i sounds like it would have been perfect too...