+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Completed Soft Landing at Peace Bridge [24 February 2021]

arputh

Feb 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
I decided to do soft landing after reading ad1987's post and picked a date - 24th February 2021.

Started around 8am, clear sunny day. Reached Fort Erie border around 12:15pm. Only one booth was open and didn't see anyone. Pulled next to the booth, officer asked about my intention, replied that I'm here for completing my landing procedure. He asked for my passport, no other document, Verified and pulled out yellow slip and started filling it. Asked how long I'll be staying in Canada and I said I'll return today itself. After asking few more questions, told me to pull over to parking spot next to the building.

I parked my car, went inside and waited. Another CBSA officer called me to his window and asked about my intention. I replied and passed my passport and CoPR. He asked basic questions and signed my CoPR and returned. i mentioned that I'll be going back to US today in between. Then he asked if I'll be staying in my US address for next few weeks. I replied yes. He said that my PR card will be sent to US address. I told him I've my friend's Canadian address where I'll be staying when I move. He said they cannot send it to friend's address as I have to sign and accept the mail. I asked him again just to make sure if they send PR card to US address and he said yes.

Moved on to goods to follow list and I gave him the list. He switched to another window and started added information into the system. Called me over there and inquired about the total value of the goods. Another officer next to him asked for my US driver's license, inquired about my car, whether I own the car etc as I have my car in the goods to follow list.

The officer went back to his desk after stamping and giving a copy of my BSF186 & BSF186A. I had a few questions about goods to follow and the officer who asked about my car details took time to explain everything while the other CBSA officer was waiting for me to get back to him. I went back and he explained about SIN, Health Card etc. After all processes, he gave a sheet of paper to show at US border and walked me out of building and told to bring my car to him. I did and he showed me the US exit.

Crossed the bridge, again just one booth open at US side. Officer asked the usual questions and let me though. Everything took about 30 minutes. I felt excited and relieved as I drove away from the border. Went straight to Tim Hortons and ordered a double double!

Let me if you have any questions and Good Luck for anyone going for landing!

rajgrk

Apr 17, 2019
Hel
I decided to do soft landing after reading ad1987's post and picked a date - 24th February 2021.

Started around 8am, clear sunny day. Reached Fort Erie border around 12:15pm. Only one booth was open and didn't see anyone. Pulled next to the booth, officer asked about my intention, replied that I'm here for completing my landing procedure. He asked for my passport, no other document, Verified and pulled out yellow slip and started filling it. Asked how long I'll be staying in Canada and I said I'll return today itself. After asking few more questions, told me to pull over to parking spot next to the building.

I parked my car, went inside and waited. Another CBSA officer called me to his window and asked about my intention. I replied and passed my passport and CoPR. He asked basic questions and signed my CoPR and returned. i mentioned that I'll be going back to US today in between. Then he asked if I'll be staying in my US address for next few weeks. I replied yes. He said that my PR card will be sent to US address. I told him I've my friend's Canadian address where I'll be staying when I move. He said they cannot send it to friend's address as I have to sign and accept the mail. I asked him again just to make sure if they send PR card to US address and he said yes.

Moved on to goods to follow list and I gave him the list. He switched to another window and started added information into the system. Called me over there and inquired about the total value of the goods. Another officer next to him asked for my US driver's license, inquired about my car, whether I own the car etc as I have my car in the goods to follow list.

The officer went back to his desk after stamping and giving a copy of my BSF186 & BSF186A. I had a few questions about goods to follow and the officer who asked about my car details took time to explain everything while the other CBSA officer was waiting for me to get back to him. I went back and he explained about SIN, Health Card etc. After all processes, he gave a sheet of paper to show at US border and walked me out of building and told to bring my car to him. I did and he showed me the US exit.

Crossed the bridge, again just one booth open at US side. Officer asked the usual questions and let me though. Everything took about 30 minutes. I felt excited and relieved as I drove away from the border. Went straight to Tim Hortons and ordered a double double!

Let me if you have any questions and Good Luck for anyone going for landing!
Hello @arputh Great to hear this! I am planning to do the same in next few days. I have below questions, could you please answer:

1. What are the questions asked by the CBSA officer?
2. Did you drive your car? Do you own it? I mean Title and Registration.
3. Did you had the quarantine plan? And was there any discussion regarding it?
4. Did they tested you for COVID at the border?
5. At US side, do you have valid VISA?

Many thanks.

arputh

Feb 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Hel

Hello @arputh Great to hear this! I am planning to do the same in next few days. I have below questions, could you please answer:

1. What are the questions asked by the CBSA officer?
2. Did you drive your car? Do you own it? I mean Title and Registration.
3. Did you had the quarantine plan? And was there any discussion regarding it?
4. Did they tested you for COVID at the border?
5. At US side, do you have valid VISA?

Many thanks.
  1. Some basic questions like what's my employment, when am I planning to move permanently, goods to follow list, total value of goods etc
  2. I did drive in my car. I own the car, paid off the loan a week back. Didn't get the title yet. They asked me the same question, do I own the car. But didn't ask for any proof. Also they mentioned they are not initiating any customs stuff now as I'm doing a soft landing.
  3. I didn't have a quarantine plan. They did not ask about it.
  4. No Covid-19 test was conducted nor asked for any test results.
  5. I do have a valid visa. Officer at US border asked if I'm a permanent resident of Canada now, what's my status in US. I replied I'm on H1B. That's it.

Hope I was able to answer your questions. Good luck with your landing.

rajgrk

Apr 17, 2019
  1. Some basic questions like what's my employment, when am I planning to move permanently, goods to follow list, total value of goods etc
  2. I did drive in my car. I own the car, paid off the loan a week back. Didn't get the title yet. They asked me the same question, do I own the car. But didn't ask for any proof. Also they mentioned they are not initiating any customs stuff now as I'm doing a soft landing.
  3. I didn't have a quarantine plan. They did not ask about it.
  4. No Covid-19 test was conducted nor asked for any test results.
  5. I do have a valid visa. Officer at US border asked if I'm a permanent resident of Canada now, what's my status in US. I replied I'm on H1B. That's it.

Hope I was able to answer your questions. Good luck with your landing.
Yes, thank you so much!

Did you fill your details in the ArriveCAN app? Just wanted to know what was your answer to 'when u r planning to move permanently'? Thanks.

arputh

Feb 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Yes, thank you so much!

Did you fill your details in the ArriveCAN app? Just wanted to know what was your answer to 'when u r planning to move permanently'? Thanks.
I did not use ArriveCAN app as I was coming back to US. I'm planning to move permanently to Canada within 6 months, I answered the same.

Only concern I've is about my PR card address. They said it will be send to my US address. I haven't heard of PR card being sent to an address outside Canada. Do you know anything about it?

kadkhiq81

May 10, 2017

arputh

Feb 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Thank you very much for the detailed write-up and Congrats on your successful soft landing. Please find the below link and it looks like its possible as its all depends on the Officer,

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-mailing-to-us-address.573911/

I do have a quick question and could you please help me with that?

1. Did you mention your car in the BSF 186 (accompanying) or BSF 186 A(Follow list)?

Congrats again!
Thanks Kadkhiq81.
I too believe it depends on the officer. I did some research yesterday and found the same link you posted. IRCC have an online address notification webpage where you can update your address.

I didn't mention anything in BSF186 form other than my name, Canadian address, place of export/import. Also checked settler box and signed. Everything including my car was in BSF186A (goods to follow) form. The officer just strike through description of goods & conveyances area in BSF186 form and wrote "See Attached List". Stamped, stapled both forms and gave back a copy.

Another officer sitting next asked me about my car like do I own the car, my US drivers license, etc. He later asked for a Canadian address and I provided the same I have entered in BSF186 form. So they have both my US & Canadian address. Not sure where my PR card will be sent. I'll update the address online anyways.

Hope you got the answer you're looking for.

kadkhiq81

May 10, 2017
I got few additional questions and could we please connect on kadkhiq @ gmail.com? it would be of a great help as I am unable to PM you.

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Hi @arputh ,1. Is GTF list mandatory for soft landing?
if i do not have plans to move immediately and did they ask any car related documents as my car is still under loan.
2. Can i cross the bridge on foot for PR processing and return back to USA on foot. will this allowed for COPR?
3.if i cross the USA border on same day then covid report and quarantine plan is required?

Please respond back to my questions. Thank you so much for your post.

arputh

Feb 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Hi @arputh ,1. Is GTF list mandatory for soft landing?
if i do not have plans to move immediately and did they ask any car related documents as my car is still under loan.
2. Can i cross the bridge on foot for PR processing and return back to USA on foot. will this allowed for COPR?
3.if i cross the USA border on same day then covid report and quarantine plan is required?

Please respond back to my questions. Thank you so much for your post.
Hi,

1. I'm not sure if GTF is mandatory. CBSA officers will definitely ask about goods you're bringing in. I've seen posts in forum where people did not provide GTF during soft landing. You can ask around.
    They asked if my car is under my name since it was listed in submitted GTF list. They did not ask for any documents. I didn't have my car title when I soft landed (I recently paid off my auto loan, waiting for title to arrive).
  2. I don't know.
  3. For me, no questions were asked about Covid-19 tests and quarantine plan at US border.

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Hi,

1. I'm not sure if GTF is mandatory. CBSA officers will definitely ask about goods you're bringing in. I've seen posts in forum where people did not provide GTF during soft landing. You can ask around.
    They asked if my car is under my name since it was listed in submitted GTF list. They did not ask for any documents. I didn't have my car title when I soft landed (I recently paid off my auto loan, waiting for title to arrive).
  2. I don't know.
  3. For me, no questions were asked about Covid-19 tests and quarantine plan at US border.
Thanks @arputh

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Hi All,
I went to validate COPR at peace bridge on 3/6 and was asked to quarantine, no U turn allowed. Soft landing isn't a problem if you can quarantine. I had to come back on 4th day of quarantine because my kid got an ear infection. I called covid hotline, they said I can leave if I keep quarantined in car and am not exposed to any Canadian.

Read section 8 on this link:
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=39482&lang=en

Used AVR while coming back. I 94 doesn't change. It's treated as if you never left the country. Just a stamp in passport.

I am worried if officers will go to my place of quarantine (Airbnb) and don't find me, will they just report me. Anyone getting calls after they made the u-turn?