+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Successfully Completed Soft Landing at Peace Bridge, Buffalo with Expired CoPR (Feb 2021)

ad1987

Feb 25, 2020
So, I officially became a permanent resident of Canada yesterday (2/4/2021) after competing soft landing at Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY.

I had initially received my CoPR document with stamped visa in the first week of March 2020 with an expiry date in the last week of July 2020. I knew I wouldn't be able to travel to travel to Canada because of Covid so I asked for an extension in June 2020. IRCC asked me to let them know whenever I was ready to travel. About 2 weeks ago, I received an email from IRCC asking me if I was able to travel anytime soon and if I was they would extend the validity of my expired CoPR and visa to fist week of June 2021. I answered yes and told them I would ideally like to travel in May. They replied to my email within a few days informing me of the extension of the validity of my CoPR and visa, and also informed me that I was required to travel before 3/26/2021 failing which they would keep my application open.

Last week PM Trudeau announced new travel restrictions for air travel into Canada and said land travel restrictions were coming soon. That's why I decided to take a chance at soft landing. I started from Philadelphia in a rental car and reached the Peace Bridge CBSA entry point (Fort Erie, ON) around 7:40 pm EST. There was only one lane open and mine was the only vehicle in sight. The officer asked me why I was there and I told him I was there to complete landing formalities for my CoPR and that I would turn back to the US right after. After checking my passport and documents and asking a few standard questions he directed me to park in a spot near their office building. I went inside the building and spoke to a different officer. He took my documents and asked a bunch of questions. He also asked for the Goods to Follow list (which I had prepared) and a Canadian address to mail my PR card. The whole process took about 30 minutes. The CBSA officer congratulated me at least three times on becoming a permanent resident and was very patient and helpful. I had some questions for him which he was more than happy to answer. When I was about to leave he told me he would send another officer out to show me the way to turn back to the US. To my surprise, not one but two officers showed up one after the other to help me. Well done, CBSA! You guys are great!

I turned around and the US CBP officer also let me pass after a few questions. His questions felt more like a short interrogation and at one point I felt he wouldn't let me back into the US (I had a valid non-expired H1B stamp in my passport). All in all, everything worked out great.

Good luck to anyone else who is trying to attempt a soft landing at one of the land borders!

Reactions: sam 1234 and rev3

ad1987

Feb 25, 2020
Congrats and thank you for sharing. Did you have to quarantine in NY since you have travelled from PA?
Thank you! Since PA is contiguous with NY, I was exempt from the travel advisory. However, I am self quarantining in my home in PA for 10 days as per PA state guidelines.

Last edited:

rev3

Feb 14, 2021
So, I officially became a permanent resident of Canada yesterday (2/4/2021) after competing soft landing at Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY.

I had initially received my CoPR document with stamped visa in the first week of March 2020 with an expiry date in the last week of July 2020. I knew I wouldn't be able to travel to travel to Canada because of Covid so I asked for an extension in June 2020. IRCC asked me to let them know whenever I was ready to travel. About 2 weeks ago, I received an email from IRCC asking me if I was able to travel anytime soon and if I was they would extend the validity of my expired CoPR and visa to fist week of June 2021. I answered yes and told them I would ideally like to travel in May. They replied to my email within a few days informing me of the extension of the validity of my CoPR and visa, and also informed me that I was required to travel before 3/26/2021 failing which they would keep my application open.

Last week PM Trudeau announced new travel restrictions for air travel into Canada and said land travel restrictions were coming soon. That's why I decided to take a chance at soft landing. I started from Philadelphia in a rental car and reached the Peace Bridge CBSA entry point (Fort Erie, ON) around 7:40 pm EST. There was only one lane open and mine was the only vehicle in sight. The officer asked me why I was there and I told him I was there to complete landing formalities for my CoPR and that I would turn back to the US right after. After checking my passport and documents and asking a few standard questions he directed me to park in a spot near their office building. I went inside the building and spoke to a different officer. He took my documents and asked a bunch of questions. He also asked for the Goods to Follow list (which I had prepared) and a Canadian address to mail my PR card. The whole process took about 30 minutes. The CBSA officer congratulated me at least three times on becoming a permanent resident and was very patient and helpful. I had some questions for him which he was more than happy to answer. When I was about to leave he told me he would send another officer out to show me the way to turn back to the US. To my surprise, not one but two officers showed up one after the other to help me. Well done, CBSA! You guys are great!

I turned around and the US CBP officer also let me pass after a few questions. His questions felt more like a short interrogation and at one point I felt he wouldn't let me back into the US (I had a valid non-expired H1B stamp in my passport). All in all, everything worked out great.

Good luck to anyone else who is trying to attempt a soft landing at one of the land borders!
Congratulations!! Did you have to get a covid test done for soft landing? or was it asked for?

rev3

Feb 14, 2021
Thank you! No, I did not have to take a covid test nor was it asked for (since I went on the 4th).
Hi, I read this post and immediately planned for a soft landing. Thank you :)
My husband and I successfully completed the soft landing at Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY today at 2.30am. We didn't take a covid test. They did ask us for it but we told them that we'll be returning back to US and proceeded with further steps. The entire process took about 30 mins and it was pretty smooth. Yayyy so happy!! :) Thanks again!

Reactions: ad1987

ad1987

Feb 25, 2020
My husband and I successfully completed the soft landing at Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY today at 2.30am. We didn't take a covid test. They did ask us for it but we told them that we'll be returning back to US and proceeded with further steps. The entire process took about 30 mins and it was pretty smooth. Yayyy so happy!! :) Thanks again!
Congratulations! I am glad you found my post helpful.

Reactions: rev3

rajgrk

Apr 17, 2019
Hello, Did they ask you about 14-day quarantine plan? If yes, how did you convince them? Thank you.

Reactions: Anks86

rev3

Feb 14, 2021
Hello, Did they ask you about 14-day quarantine plan? If yes, how did you convince them? Thank you.
No, I wasn't asked for a quarantine plan as we were going back to US immediately. Also, we showed them our airbnb booking for 2 months.

arputh

Feb 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
No, I wasn't asked for a quarantine plan as we were going back to US immediately. Also, we showed them our airbnb booking for 2 months.
Hi, were you in similar situation of ad1987, like expired CoPR or expiring in 1-2 months? I would like to know if they allow soft landing for CoPR with validity more than 6 months.

rajgrk

Apr 17, 2019
Hello Rev3, thanks for your answer. You showed airbnb booking for quarantine in Canada? But, eventually, you cancelled it? Can you please tell me how the conversation regarding quarantine went? Did you mention that, if quarantine is mandatory, you will stay in this airbnb, else if they allow, you would return to US same day? Thanks.

rev3

Feb 14, 2021
Hello Rev3, thanks for your answer. You showed airbnb booking for quarantine in Canada? But, eventually, you cancelled it? Can you please tell me how the conversation regarding quarantine went? Did you mention that, if quarantine is mandatory, you will stay in this airbnb, else if they allow, you would return to US same day? Thanks.
Hi, I'll be moving to Canada permanently in a week or two. We did not cancel our airbnb booking because I'll be staying there for 2 months and look for a permanent place to live during that time.

rajgrk

Apr 17, 2019
Hi, I'll be moving to Canada permanently in a week or two. We did not cancel our airbnb booking because I'll be staying there for 2 months and look for a permanent place to live during that time.
Gotcha! Thanks! All the best!

Reactions: rev3

visu7190

Jan 11, 2021
Hi All, just wanted to confirm if CoPR holders issued after March 18 2020 are allowed to immigrate to Canada from the US now. CN someone please confirm. I M planning to move in the next 2 weeks.

arputh

Feb 21, 2021
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Hi All, just wanted to confirm if CoPR holders issued after March 18 2020 are allowed to immigrate to Canada from the US now. CN someone please confirm. I M planning to move in the next 2 weeks.
Hi,
Yes, you can immigrate. I got my CoPR issued in November 2020 and did soft landing day before yesterday. Might have to follow current travel requirement by Canadian government if you're moving permanently.