+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship INLAND

Clothilde

Sep 28, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a US citizen living with my Canadian boyfriend in Toronto. He is Canadian and I have a tourist visa which is always renewed because I constantly cross the border back to the US.

I was told that I can apply for Canadian immigration through Family Class Sponsorship, ONLY after having officially lived with my bf for a whole year, so now we are the stage of living together for a year before we are considered Common Law by Canadian standards.

When we fill out our Statutory form to become Common Law, will we receive any notice from Canada to accept or reject our declaration? Or can we immediately proceed to start the immigration process? Should a copy of that Statutory declaration form be attached to the immigration application?

Will we send his request to be a sponsor, and my application to immigrate together or separately? what about the payments and fees?

And once we sent off the applications, I read somewhere that Inland applications take about a year and a half? During that time, am I allowed to leave and return to Canada?

Once, and if, i am accepted to immigrate, will I receive a greencard? And Will I be allowed to work immediately? Or is there more waiting there?

Thank you for any answers!!!

Hasan9999

Champion Member
Sep 28, 2013
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
SVO
App. Filed.......
August 2013
LANDED..........
December, 2016
Clothilde said:
I am a US citizen living with my Canadian boyfriend in Toronto. He is Canadian and I have a tourist visa which is always renewed because I constantly cross the border back to the US.

I was told that I can apply for Canadian immigration through Family Class Sponsorship, ONLY after having officially lived with my bf for a whole year, so now we are the stage of living together for a year before we are considered Common Law by Canadian standards.

When we fill out our Statutory form to become Common Law, will we receive any notice from Canada to accept or reject our declaration? Or can we immediately proceed to start the immigration process? Should a copy of that Statutory declaration form be attached to the immigration application?

Will we send his request to be a sponsor, and my application to immigrate together or separately? what about the payments and fees?

And once we sent off the applications, I read somewhere that Inland applications take about a year and a half? During that time, am I allowed to leave and return to Canada?

Once, and if, i am accepted to immigrate, will I receive a greencard? And Will I be allowed to work immediately? Or is there more waiting there?

After one year cohabitation, your common law partner will proceed to include your name with CRA. After obtaining your PR (like US green card) you can work in Canada. Outland application takes less time. The only problem is CBSA may refuse your re entry to Canada if they think you would not return to USA within approved time frame. But that possibility is very less for a US citizen. Proof of relationship is very important for you.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Clothilde said:

APPLY OUTLAND!!!! It takes 6- 10 months for current applications to be processed! An outland applicant can still be IN canada while the application is mailed in AND processed. That seems to be the biggest misconception for applicants. Do NOT apply inland! As an outland applicant, you are free to travel back and forth. While denial at the border is minimal for US applicants, it happens more than people realize - especially with couples who are NOT married, commonlaw, or have applications submitted. Obviously how long you are allowed to visit is in the hands of the border agents you meet at entry.

If you intend to travel back and forth frequently, why not just get married? This might be the safer route for regular entry, and it will allow you to apply much sooner than having to wait a year to prove commonlaw. Remember, the application can NOT be submitted until after commonlaw is proven. Once married and a PR application has been received, it is easier to cross the border.

Both the applicant and sponsor applications get mailed TOGETHER in the same package. CIC will review both for completeness, process the sponsor's application, then send the applicants to the proper visa office. WHEN you apply outland, this will be the ottawa visa office. US applications generally ONLY get kicked back to the US if there are red flags/issues in the application.

The sponsor fee and the principle applicant fee must be paid upfront, the right of permanent residency fee (RPRF) can be paid upfront or during the pocess.

Canadian PRs do not get greencards. That is a us thing. Currently it takes about 2 months to receive your pr card after landing. You can start working as soon as you land and get your SIN number and driver's license. There are no restrictions, and your COPR can be used to confirm residency in most cases until you receive your pr card. Depending on the province you settle in, you will have to wait up to 3 months to begin receiving OHIP benefits.