+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law partner/spouse?

SAMANTALA

Dec 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I call my partner as husband because we cohabited for a year? Or is it I have to call him partner since we are not married, that the husband and wife is only use for married couples?

We have cohabited for a year but we call each other as husband and wife. Some says it doesn't matter.

Zuky

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Warsaw
App. Filed.......
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-07-2017
Med's Request
12-06-2017
Med's Done....
28-06-2017
Passport Req..
21-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2018
LANDED..........
??
The terms that is generally used, at least in some provincial legislation that I'm familiar with, is "spouse". A spouse can be either your husband/wife, or your common-law partner.

I personally think that husband/wife implies marriage, but that's just me. If you're communicating with the government, I would look up their definition of "husband/wife", "spouse", and "partner", and see which one applies to you.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
If you are applying for pr via sponsorship you need to be married to be classed as husband and wife.

If you aren't married but have lived together continuously for a year or more you're common law.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp

Spouse
A legal marriage partner. This term includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships but does not include common-law partnerships.

Common-law partner
Related term:
Common-law spouse
A person who has been living with another person in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. The term refers to opposite-sex and same-sex relationships.

See the legal definition of common-law partner.

Conjugal partner
A person outside Canada who has had a binding relationship with a sponsor for at least one year but could not live with their partner. The term refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex relationships.

SAMANTALA

Dec 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all for the replies...

We were applying Common law Outland November 2017 Philippines. We call each other as husband and wife and honey and sweetie...
My Sponsor was already approved January 30, 2018, had my medical and police requests too. Latest was March 15 an email from the Canadian embassy Manila Procedural Fairness giving me 30 days to comply and that's what I'm doing. Gather as much proofs to satisfy the officer that we really cohabited for a year...

Thank you again for the replies:)

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Thank you all for the replies...

We were applying Common law Outland November 2017 Philippines. We call each other as husband and wife and honey and sweetie...
My Sponsor was already approved January 30, 2018, had my medical and police requests too. Latest was March 15 an email from the Canadian embassy Manila Procedural Fairness giving me 30 days to comply and that's what I'm doing. Gather as much proofs to satisfy the officer that we really cohabited for a year...

Thank you again for the replies:)
If you are talking about how you refer to your partner in general, I guess you can call him whatever you want (husband, spouse, partner, etc). I guess if you are making reference to him in writing regarding immigration documents, it's probably best to refer to him as (common-law) spouse or partner.
Good luck providing your proof of evidence!

SAMANTALA

Dec 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are talking about how you refer to your partner in general, I guess you can call him whatever you want (husband, spouse, partner, etc). I guess if you are making reference to him in writing regarding immigration documents, it's probably best to refer to him as (common-law) spouse or partner.
Good luck providing your proof of evidence!
Thank you very much:)

I'm constructing now the explanation letter while waiting from my sister's statement letter from Japan sent through courier to deliver this week (could be Thursday or Friday or Saturday). I will send the documents next week to the embassy...

Reactions: majesty