+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law outland sponsorship help

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Hi everybody I have noticed that people are very helpful here, and I had a couple of questions about my situation, I moved in with my common law in feb 2014 on a 2 years work permit , I am from morocco which is a muslim country, and my first question is whether it would cause a problem that I am applying common law in a muslim country where it only recognizes marriage, and whether the canada visa officers abroad are actually canadian? I just dont wanna get caught up in some grudge cause im not muslim enough, cause I am kind of a very secular person, Also I recently applied for a new work permit with lmia and I had to declare my common law in it since we are living together for more than a year now, would that be a problem, do you think there is a big chance my work permit would be refused? by the way my common law is canadian,
Also whats the best way to portrait my lack of care for religion, my common law is an agnostic leaning towards atheism and I am more like a person who identifies culturally with Islam but not much religiously, I kind of don't care with everything happening in the world to muslims and in muslim countries I kind of lost interest in religiousness.

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello! CIC doesn't care about other countries' definition of common law. As long as you have been living together for at least a year, you are common law in the eyes of the Canadian government. Even within Canada, different provinces have different definitions of common law but CIC only cares about their own definition.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Lower level workers at Canadian embassies may not be Canadian; upper level workers are Canadian citizens or PRs.

You can explain in a letter attached to your application that you are not religious. If there is a difference in religion, this can be a red flag. The key is to make sure the visa officer knows you two have discussed this issue and are in agreement.