+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law, inland: Applying for OWP without AOR

compiler1234

Nov 13, 2023
Hello,

I'm planning to submit my PR application (common-law, inland) just shortly before my current PGWP will expire next month.

The plan is to then immediately apply for an open work permit after submitting the PR application, so I can maintain status as a worker.

According to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html, one can apply for the open work permit WITHOUT AOR as long as the PR application has been submitted AND the current work permit will expire in two weeks or less from that date.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and can share their experience with submitting the work permit application without AOR?

Anything to watch out for? Any technical difficulties/hick-ups/unexpected delays?
Did it work the way it is described in the link or is there something I'm missing that I should be aware of?

EDIT: I guess what I'm wondering is if there's any other requirements I missing to make use of this policy, i.e. submitting the PR application itself a minimum number of days before current PGWP expires to be eligible under this policy?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: