+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

College/ University accessibility

Zhindouki

Aug 27, 2018
Dear all, hope thi message finds you well.
I received a refusal from uOttawa for their Master in Communications and I wanted some advices about my situation.

I'm currently a permanent resident living in Ottawa, I have a Bachelor's degree in commercial science with a management major.

I also have more than 6 years of experience in marketing and commumications in my home coutry and I'll close my first year of Canadian work experience next October.

I believed that my file was strong and solid, had fice recommendation letters instead of the two required.

I know where is my weakness in my application. My grades in University were note high, i was an average student 12 years ago.

My understanding is that the masters I applied for has limited places and a high demand, so it's okay.

But my concern i that my grades will be an issue for any other master application.

So my question are the folllowing:

- Is there any "complementary" courses that I can take to enhance my existing Bachelor's degree fron Algeria?

- Are they any "public degrees" that I can access in an easier way so I can have Canadian grades I can show for my next application?

I'm affraid to apply again to another master, pays the fees but without any chance for me to pass the minimum grades requirement.

I'm willing to pay for a private degree if I can then aim the degree i'm looking for.

I'm searching for degreea in marketing, communications or in international relations, the last one in a sweet dream I had for a long time but couldn't do in home country.

As i'm in Ottawa thought college la cité could be a good fit, do you think they'll accept me even with average grades?

Thank you for your help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When you say average how average? Getting into a masters program asa PR is usually harder than as an international student. There is a lot of competition from Canadian graduates. Most masters at U of O will need high 70s or 80s.

Zhindouki

Aug 27, 2018
When you say average how average? Getting into a masters program asa PR is usually harder than as an international student. There is a lot of competition from Canadian graduates. Most masters at U of O will need high 70s or 80s.
By average I mean that my grades were between 11 and 12 out of 20.
In North America I think it's like C, maybe C+?

I understand that it has to be competitive, and my work experience honestly speaks for me, but my grade from tes years ago are a handicap.
is there any way for me to emhance my academic resume? Maybe by taking courses or a major or something ?

I'm willing to pay if this will help me in my Canadian career.