+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

College provided wrong document - Refusal of PGWP

sood.prabal

Oct 14, 2015
Hello,

My college provided me with a wrong transcript which did not state that I had graduated. I applied for PGWP thinking that I had all the required documents. But now CIC refused my application and have told me to re-apply under restoral of status and have given me 90 days for that.

Now I want to know what is my next step as it was not my fault and George Brown College, Toronto provided me wrong document.

1. Should I ask CIC to re-open my application and accept an apology letter from George Brown along with the correct documents for reconsideration on the PGWP application? Also do they even reopen an application?
2. Should I go ahead with restoral of status? Also how can I apply for PGWP under this?

tonero

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-01-2016
IELTS Request
22-01-2016
File Transfer...
22-01-2016
Med's Request
28-01-2016
Med's Done....
28-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2016
LANDED..........
18-07-2016
Hmm dosent make sense? I would re apply right away if your within the 90 days. I mean they never make those types of mistakes because on your transcript at the worst it shows if you have finished all the required course credits

sood.prabal

Oct 14, 2015
tonero said:
Hmm dosent make sense? I would re apply right away if your within the 90 days. I mean they never make those types of mistakes because on your transcript at the worst it shows if you have finished all the required course credits
Tonery, the college did not update their database so they provided me with an old transcript. I was not aware that it was an old transcript. It just stated all my grades from the semesters but did not say that my course had completed and I had graduated. Also, my diploma was issued few days before this but it took a long time to reach me by mail so I was able to upload only a transcript for my PGWP application.

kennykay

Nov 23, 2015
sood.prabal said:
Hello,

My college provided me with a wrong transcript which did not state that I had graduated. I applied for PGWP thinking that I had all the required documents. But now CIC refused my application and have told me to re-apply under restoral of status and have given me 90 days for that.

Now I want to know what is my next step as it was not my fault and George Brown College, Toronto provided me wrong document.

1. Should I ask CIC to re-open my application and accept an apology letter from George Brown along with the correct documents for reconsideration on the PGWP application? Also do they even reopen an application?
2. Should I go ahead with restoral of status? Also how can I apply for PGWP under this?
tonero,you will be best served by making a new application (on paper,I will suggest ),and including in your restoration application,the apology letter and an explanation letter detailing the circumstances that led to you submitting a wrong document.Please,if your Study permit has expired, apply for a renewal.Mentioning it in your explanation letter without filling a new study permit ,i think will suffice.It did for me.

sood.prabal

Oct 14, 2015
kennykay said:
tonero,you will be best served by making a new application (on paper,I will suggest ),and including in your restoration application,the apology letter and an explanation letter detailing the circumstances that led to you submitting a wrong document.Please,if your Study permit has expired, apply for a renewal.Mentioning it in your explanation letter without filling a new study permit ,i think will suffice.It did for me.
I'm applying for post-grad work permit so I won't be applying for another study permit now.
You mentioned that I should apply for restoration of status, but how do I do that for post grad work permit? Also under restoration of status, I need to pay $455 which is quite steep for a mistake I didn't commit.

mahi0204

Jan 11, 2016
Does your study permit expired now? Your study permit is valid until 90 days after your graduation date. If your study is expired you need to renew it. So apply restoration ($200) pgwp( $255) and study permit renewal ( $150) . You have to pay $605 in total. Be careful in paying the fees this time. Good luck

sood.prabal

Oct 14, 2015
mahi0204 said:
Does your study permit expired now? Your study permit is valid until 90 days after your graduation date. If your study is expired you need to renew it. So apply restoration ($200) pgwp( $255) and study permit renewal ( $150) . You have to pay $605 in total. Be careful in paying the fees this time. Good luck
As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't want to pay $455-600 for a mistake I did not make. Either my college is responsible since they provided me an older transcript because their databases were not updated, or CIC is who refused my application without giving me even a day to provide them with correct document. And yes, my study permit has expired by now.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

sood.prabal said:
As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't want to pay $455-600 for a mistake I did not make. Either my college is responsible since they provided me an older transcript because their databases were not updated, or CIC is who refused my application without giving me even a day to provide them with correct document. And yes, my study permit has expired by now.
1. I somehow doubt that the college is going to pay for their mistake, and IRCC is surely not, as you sent the wrong information, so it falls on your shoulders.
2. Remember IRCC is not your mother, they won't question your actions, but will base their decision on the action that you took.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PMM said:
HI

1. I somehow doubt that the college is going to pay for their mistake, and IRCC is surely not, as you sent the wrong information, so it falls on your shoulders.
2. Remember IRCC is not your mother, they won't question your actions, but will base their decision on the action that you took.
Totally agree. Either you pay the required fees yourself or forget about getting a PGWP.

sood.prabal

Oct 14, 2015
scylla said:
Totally agree. Either you pay the required fees yourself or forget about getting a PGWP.
Thanks for your reply. Why do you guys feel that I should be paying for it? The database of college which falls under Ministry of Ontario (Government) provided me wrong document which was in turn refused by CIC (Government). I do not see my mistake here.

Only after PGWP was refused by CIC, they had stated the reason that the document was wrong.

I have talked to a lawyer and will be filing this in Federal court. As far as I see, the college will be held responsible for providing the wrong document.

ayay

Feb 24, 2013
best of luck buddy!

Same thing happened with a friend of mine and she got her pgwp refusal because the graduation date was not written on transcript. She did not file her case in the court but she tried to talk with admin of GBC but nothing happened. I am a graduate of gbc as well and same happened with me but I was lucky enough that my friend had told me her unfortunate story and I told the guy to give me a new transcript with the graduation date. I could easily notice by his bodylanguage that he was just being lazy and was a slacker.

In order to get your pgwp you need to follow some steps. You have to pay for workpermit /restoration/studypermit fee. Someone needs to pay it. Be it yourself or gbc. The fee is 450-600 depending on your case and status.

If you are filing case in court just make sure you requested for your transcript at least 3 weeks after graduating. Because I had applied 2 weeks after graduation and the guy had to manually find me from database. Wish you good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sood.prabal said:
I have talked to a lawyer and will be filing this in Federal court. As far as I see, the college will be held responsible for providing the wrong document.
It was entirely your responsibility to ensure the application was complete - not the college's or CIC's.

Do you know how much it typically costs for legal representation for a Federal court appeal? The fees for the restoration are far less. You won't get your legal fees refunded even if you win the appeal.

Anyway - your life. Good luck.

kennykay

Nov 23, 2015
sood.prabal said:
sood.prabal,mine above of 5th March was wrongly directed to tonero .However, the advice contained therein have been validated by the gurus in the house.In my humble opinion, you can only blame (and Sue IRCC) when they are at fault. The two questions you should ask yourself are:first,which entity is at fault in this instance? Second,which action I take will be costlier in both the short and long runs? Good luck.

sood.prabal

Oct 14, 2015
scylla said:
It was entirely your responsibility to ensure the application was complete - not the college's or CIC's.

Do you know how much it typically costs for legal representation for a Federal court appeal? The fees for the restoration are far less. You won't get your legal fees refunded even if you win the appeal.

Anyway - your life. Good luck.
My responsibility was to provide CIC with the documents they have asked for, which in this case was Transcript and Application form. I provided both of them along with the fee. It's not everyday that I apply for Post Graduate Work Permit. It was obviously my first time and I did everything right on my part.

It was college's responsibility to provide me with correct piece of document and not an older, non updated one.

Here is a quote from CIC's official refusal letter given to me " As you have not submitted the required documentation in regard to the completion of your studies, you are not eligible for a work permit in this category. The transcript submitted does not indicated your date of graduation or a conferral date to establish completion of studies. "

CIC stated that transcript submitted 'does not indicate date of graduation'. It was CIC's responsibility to give me time to upload another document which stated the date of graduation and not straight away refuse to give PGWP.

Getting my legal fee refunded would be decided in court.

sood.prabal

Oct 14, 2015
ayay said:
best of luck buddy!

Same thing happened with a friend of mine and she got her pgwp refusal because the graduation date was not written on transcript. She did not file her case in the court but she tried to talk with admin of GBC but nothing happened. I am a graduate of gbc as well and same happened with me but I was lucky enough that my friend had told me her unfortunate story and I told the guy to give me a new transcript with the graduation date. I could easily notice by his bodylanguage that he was just being lazy and was a slacker.

In order to get your pgwp you need to follow some steps. You have to pay for workpermit /restoration/studypermit fee. Someone needs to pay it. Be it yourself or gbc. The fee is 450-600 depending on your case and status.

If you are filing case in court just make sure you requested for your transcript at least 3 weeks after graduating. Because I had applied 2 weeks after graduation and the guy had to manually find me from database. Wish you good luck!
Hey Ayay thank you for your reply. It's relieving to know someone faced the exact same situation and was able to tackle it well. You are correct about the lazy attitude of the student service centre.

Although CIC has mentioned in their refusal letter that going for a restoration of status is the next step, my lawyer has said that it would not be possible as my study permit has expired and the 90 days time after graduation is also gone. I am not sure who's right or who's wrong in this case. So please advise if restoration of status can still be done.

Also since it's not my mistake that college database was not updated, they will be the ones who would be paying to avoid me filing a court case against them.