12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Doe123 said:
But the concern is that she [the person being sponsored] would be considered to be receiving social assistance due to the increase to the monthly disability payments. It's not a concern about if it's okay for myself to be receiving disability assistance. But if the increase to the monthly disability payments is intended to be for my wife or not. That presumingly would not be allowed and considered that she is also recieving disabiltiy assistance (or social assistance). So now the question remains; does the official definition of social assistance include disability? This may require the knowledge of someone in my exact situation.
Parker's already told her based on her experiences. She has been there, done that.

At this point, if you're still unsure, maybe you should contact a lawyer? I don't know if we can tell you anything else at this point. I'm not trying to be mean - it just seems like our experience/research isn't enough to assure you. Someone with legal experience might be able to where we cannot. You can try for a free consultation - that way it won't cost you a thing. Just google immigration lawyers near you and ask for a free consultation by phone or Skype. I did one by Skype for the same reasons. I was very paranoid about an issue in my application and the answers here didn't make me feel better. Hearing the lawyer back up the information I got here helped me calm down.

Good luck! :)

dawlex

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
06-Mar-2013
File Transfer...
07-Mar-2013 <br><i>- to Vancouver CIC (BRO)</i>
Med's Request
16-May-2013<br><i>- sent with original application</i>
Med's Done....
11-Jan-2013
Interview........
29-Apr-2013 (at Local CIC) <br><i> - AIP verbally approved at interview !! </i><br>AIP & OWP Rec'd: 10-May-2013<br>RCMP Check Req'd: 02-Aug-2013 <br><i>- sent 14-Aug-2013</i><br>DM: Rec'd letter 24-Oct-2013 <br><i>- letter dated 21-Oct-2012</i><br>Landing Interview/PR Rec'd: 12-Nov-2013<br>Rec'd PR card in mail: 18-01-2012
Doe123 said:
I will likely be in this situation anytime now. We're already married and need to wait until she has recieved permanent residency to qualify for the increased monthy payment. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks.
Hi, I just went thru this same situation. And the answer is YES, it is considered social assistance for you to collect additional money for your sponsored spouse. We had a hard, hard time finding out an answer to this question as well (even the call centre told me that it would be ok.. twice!! but my gut still told me it did not seem right). I recently received a call from my disability office because I reported to them I was married and sponsoring my spouse to Canada. We went into the disability office for a meeting with my caseworker and were told that my spouse HAD to be added to my benefits becuz he is now living with me and that is their policy. However, becuz we were not sure if collecting extra for him would be allowed, my spouse is technically added to my benefits, but we refused to accept any additional money for him.

We just had our interview at the local CIC yesterday (before AIP), and this is where I finally got a firm answer from the IO who interviewed us. He explained it was ok for me to sponsor, and collect disability benefits while sponsoring becuz I am Canadian and entitled to it .. however my spouse is not, so if my income increased that it would definately be seen as my spouse collecting social assistance (even tho the cheque is in my name) and that our application could have been disqualified for that reason (we didnt even have AIP yet). The IO told me that he had already spoken to my caseworker and he was informed that we refused the additional money for him. The IO was very impressed with that and told us that we did the right thing. We were also given verbal approval for AIP at the same interview, and I believe part of the reason is that the IO officer knew that we were honest, and looking out for the interests of Canada.

I know what you mean though, it is almost impossible to get an answer on this.. I searched for a long time and still did not get an answer until I spoke with our IO yesterday. The call centre didnt know, disability office did not know, I even called my MP... but there ya go.. strait from Immigration.. it is not okay to collect extra on your disability.

Good Luck with your immigration journey!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
dawlex said:
Hi, I just went thru this same situation. And the answer is YES, it is considered social assistance for you to collect additional money for your sponsored spouse. We had a hard, hard time finding out an answer to this question as well (even the call centre told me that it would be ok.. twice!! but my gut still told me it did not seem right). I recently received a call from my disability office because I reported to them I was married and sponsoring my spouse to Canada. We went into the disability office for a meeting with my caseworker and were told that my spouse HAD to be added to my benefits becuz he is now living with me and that is their policy. However, becuz we were not sure if collecting extra for him would be allowed, my spouse is technically added to my benefits, but we refused to accept any additional money for him.

We just had our interview at the local CIC yesterday (before AIP), and this is where I finally got a firm answer from the IO who interviewed us. He explained it was ok for me to sponsor, and collect disability benefits while sponsoring becuz I am Canadian and entitled to it .. however my spouse is not, so if my income increased that it would definately be seen as my spouse collecting social assistance (even tho the cheque is in my name) and that our application could have been disqualified for that reason (we didnt even have AIP yet). The IO told me that he had already spoken to my caseworker and he was informed that we refused the additional money for him. The IO was very impressed with that and told us that we did the right thing. We were also given verbal approval for AIP at the same interview, and I believe part of the reason is that the IO officer knew that we were honest, and looking out for the interests of Canada.

I know what you mean though, it is almost impossible to get an answer on this.. I searched for a long time and still did not get an answer until I spoke with our IO yesterday. The call centre didnt know, disability office did not know, I even called my MP... but there ya go.. strait from Immigration.. it is not okay to collect extra on your disability.

Good Luck with your immigration journey!
Thought I'd clarify because I have been talking to dawlex through PM and decided to talk to my caseworker.

It's actually okay for the spouse to be ADDED on. The spouse cannot be added on until they land however. If the cheque was in the sponsored spouse's name, then it's an issue.

Here's what my caseworker said in her e-mail to me explaining it "As each case for ODSP is different and unique I can really only answer to your case. As HUSBAND has his landed immigrant papers for your case he is eligible to be added to your benefit. If you remember we could not add him until all of this was completed."

So, once they land, they can be ADDED, but they cannot be the recipient of it. That said, it depends on the case, as my caseworker said. I would get in touch with your caseworker and have them do what you pay them to do with your taxes, and find out what works for your specific case :)

Sending you a PM dawlex :)

Doe123

Apr 15, 2013
parker24 said:
Thought I'd clarify because I have been talking to dawlex through PM and decided to talk to my caseworker.

It's actually okay for the spouse to be ADDED on. The spouse cannot be added on until they land however. If the cheque was in the sponsored spouse's name, then it's an issue.

Here's what my caseworker said in her e-mail to me explaining it "As each case for ODSP is different and unique I can really only answer to your case. As HUSBAND has his landed immigrant papers for your case he is eligible to be added to your benefit. If you remember we could not add him until all of this was completed."

So, once they land, they can be ADDED, but they cannot be the recipient of it. That said, it depends on the case, as my caseworker said. I would get in touch with your caseworker and have them do what you pay them to do with your taxes, and find out what works for your specific case :)

Sending you a PM dawlex :)
So we are close to being finished with the entire immigration process and this does continue to be somewhat of a concern of ours. Would you both then be in agreement that after my wife has confirmation of permanent residency, it's perfectly okay to receive the increase in disability payment? I wouldn't even know how to bring all this to my caseworker's attention.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Doe123 said:
So we are close to being finished with the entire immigration process and this does continue to be somewhat of a concern of ours. Would you both then be in agreement that after my wife has confirmation of permanent residency, it's perfectly okay to receive the increase in disability payment? I wouldn't even know how to bring all this to my caseworker's attention.
Call her haha. Or if you can e-mail, then that works too. She will need your wife's SIN, DL, Health Card (Which will be put on hold until she gets it obviously) and the COPR. Then when she gets the PR card, that as well. And she'll be added on! :) Yes, it's okay to add your wife, since the disability is in your name, not hers.