+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-signer residency for dependent child sponsorship visa

himu2016

Dec 17, 2015
Hello all,

Me and my wife both are permanent residents. My wife was pregnant and had to leave Canada and go to my home country for some personal reasons. My child was born outside Canada. Currently both my wife and my child are in my home country. I am now applying for sponsorship visa for my child. My question is can my wife be a CO-SIGNER in the form IMM1344 Undertaking ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

Me and my wife both are permanent residents. My wife was pregnant and had to leave Canada and go to my home country for some personal reasons. My child was born outside Canada. Currently both my wife and my child are in my home country. I am now applying for sponsorship visa for my child. My question is can my wife be a CO-SIGNER in the form IMM1344 Undertaking ?
Sure, she can be a co-signer.

Hopefully you're aware that you will only be able to submit the application once at least one of you has moved back to Canada.

himu2016

Dec 17, 2015
That sounds good. Thank you Scylla. Yes I currently live in CANADA and will be in Canada at the time of Application submission.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That sounds good. Thank you Scylla. Yes I currently live in CANADA and will be in Canada at the time of Application submission.
Are you planning on remaining in Canada during the whole sponsorship period? If your wife is going to remain in her home country during the sponsorship she shouldn't co-sign.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck78,

Let me explain you my whole situation here... In addition to my initial email, I have recently submitted Temporary resident Visa application to IRCC and that application was made outside CANADA - IMM5257 Application form. When I called IRCC they suggested me to first apply for TRV, get it approved, call my family here in CANADA. Once my wife and my child both are here in CANADA, I can then apply for the sponsorship visa for my child. However, I do not know how long the TRV Visa will take to be approved, so I decided not to waste my time and lets apply for sponsorship visa as soon as possible. So the answer to your question is it depends when will the TRV Visa be approved based on which my wife and my child can come here. Basically as soon as the TRV Visa is approved, they will be here. Yes I am planning to be remained in CANADA during the whole sponsorship period, except I will be on VACATION for 4 weeks to my home country from mid January to mid February.

What do you suggest based on my situation ? Shall I apply for Sponsorship Visa now OR shall I wait for my family to come here.
Also, what difference does it make if my wife is CO-SIGNER or not in the sponsorship application ? Shall I not include my wife as a CO-SIGNER and leave that field as NOT APPLICABLE ?

Regards,
Please delete your personal information. Would submit the sponsorship now and there is no need for your wife to cosign. Would discourage you from being out of Canada for so long. 2-3 weeks seems to be overlooked by IRCC but when it's longer than that might create problems for your application. TRV is not guaranteed for your child. It is a bit hit or miss. If the TRV gets denied you should try for a TRP.

himu2016

Dec 17, 2015
Ok. So I will have to submit IMM5604 in that case. So how do I get this form WITNESSED BY A NOTARY PUBLIC ? Do you have any idea ?
I understand the need to be present in CANADA for the entire period of sponsorship.

Thanks,

himu2016

Dec 17, 2015
Hi Canuck78,

Can you also please delete my personal info from your account, the one on which you replied as I am not able to do so.

Thanks

himu2016

Dec 17, 2015
Hi Canuck78,

Can you also please delete my personal info from your account, the one on which you replied as I am not able to do so.

Thanks
Hi Canuck78,

Could you please let me know on what basis you are suggesting that the sponsors cant leave Canada for more than 3 weeks while their application is in process ? I mean is there any information on IRCC Website ?
Thanks.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Canuck78,

Could you please let me know on what basis you are suggesting that the sponsors cant leave Canada for more than 3 weeks while their application is in process ? I mean is there any information on IRCC Website ?
Thanks.
It's not a hard rule. But sponsors who are PR need to live in Canada during the sponsor process. You can take your chance if you choose to.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
y
Hi Canuck78,

Thanks.
Based on anectodal evidence. You are supposed to remain in Canada during your sponsorship application. A short vacation seems to be overlooked but 1 month is quite long. Most Canadians don't even month of vacation time every year from their employer.

Vinay S

Aug 20, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I have a similar situation. I have applied for visit visa for my, (then) 14 months old son in the month of April and it has been over 9 months now, yet there is no progress on the Visit visa. Some asked me to not apply for PR while the visit visa is in progress stating "dual intention could jeopardize the application & would result in visit visa being rejected and also PR will take an year or more to grant). Therefore, haven't applied so far. As I don't see any signs of progress, I have decided to take chance and apply PR as I don't see any concrete response from IRCC on the visit visa.

Both my wife & son are in India. My wife is PR. She would be accompanying my son once his visa is granted.

Now, my question is should I select "Yes" or "No" for the question, "Is there Co-signer on this application" in the IMM1344 application ?

If I select "Yes", is co-signer signature a MUST at the bottom of the form, in the signature of co-signer ?
If I select "No", do I need to furnish the documents in IMM 5604 (Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada (IMM 5604)), as I won't be travelling with my son, and they are coming to me ?

Appreciate your timely help !

Cheers
Vinay.

sbh34

Aug 1, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I have a similar situation. I have applied for visit visa for my, (then) 14 months old son in the month of April and it has been over 9 months now, yet there is no progress on the Visit visa. Some asked me to not apply for PR while the visit visa is in progress stating "dual intention could jeopardize the application & would result in visit visa being rejected and also PR will take an year or more to grant). Therefore, haven't applied so far. As I don't see any signs of progress, I have decided to take chance and apply PR as I don't see any concrete response from IRCC on the visit visa.

Both my wife & son are in India. My wife is PR. She would be accompanying my son once his visa is granted.

Now, my question is should I select "Yes" or "No" for the question, "Is there Co-signer on this application" in the IMM1344 application ?

If I select "Yes", is co-signer signature a MUST at the bottom of the form, in the signature of co-signer ?
If I select "No", do I need to furnish the documents in IMM 5604 (Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada (IMM 5604)), as I won't be travelling with my son, and they are coming to me ?

Appreciate your timely help !

Cheers
Vinay.

Hey Vinay,

Re visit visa: I think you missed the developments with Canada's visit visa process. Your son qualifies for priority processing and for all applications submitted before Aug 9 (I might be forgetting the exact day) they had opened a special web request form for the applicants to inform the IRCC that their application should be processed soon. The other choice was to just reapply using the new portal which is what you can still do. You can find the link to the new portal here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa.html

I would strongly encourage you to apply again using the new portal. In case you reapply, indicate the old application too. It will be automatically withdrawn and no guarantees that the old fee will be refunded. This is what they used to say in those days (August this year).

At any rate, your son's case is not ordinary since he is not an applicant who promises to return after six months. This would automatically disqualify a TRV application. In application for my daughter (born this year on May), I asked in the cover letter to grant her TRV or TRP, whichever applies. The officer cancelled the TRV application and asked me to submit fee for the TRP. Within a week of payment they issued TRP to my daughter.

Re PR application: I think this is all rubbish. The official stance - don't have the link - is that a TRV and PR applications are processed separately and the outcome of one does not impact the other. Just remember that you could submit the PR application only after you are back in Canada.

While your wife is out of Canada with your son, she cannot be a cosigner. Therefore you must say no to the option of having a cosigner. She will naturally not sign the application either.

When you say no, then of course you face the IMM5604 form. If it is convenient, just get it legally signed by your wife and include in your PR application. If it is not simple for you (it wasn't in my case due to our complicated situation), just write an explanation letter that your wife is a PR herself and this form is patently for cases when the wife is not a PR. If you search this forum, many people it did it like that and got their applications approved.

Hope this helps

Reactions: armoured

Vinay S

Aug 20, 2015
Hi,

Firstly, thank you so much for taking time out and comprehensive response ! I really appreciate for your help here.

Yes, I have read about it. This is what it says (Taken from IRCC official site). It also, says unless the situation changes, you don't have to submit again and they will process the applications.

If you applied before September 7, 2021, and you already told us that you qualify for a COVID-19 exemption
You do not need to submit a new application or write to us again.
We’ll process the application you submitted before September 7, 2021.

• It doesn’t matter if you applied via the IRCC Portal, via your IRCC secure account, or on paper.
We’ll send you an email if we need more information from you or when we reach a decision.

---

I have applied for visit visa for the first time on April 9th 2021 and looking at the above update from IRCC, I had submitted 2nd one on Oct 13th 2021. Both using my IRCC profile (GCKey) not through the new portal you have shared though, especially the 2nd application submitted after Sep 7th (i.e. Oct 13th 2021). The reason why I did not apply through it was coz, I did not find any option relevant to dependent child from the dropdown values.

Also, in your case, you are fortunate enough to have received reply from IRCC to pay the fee for TRP. But, in my case, they haven't responded to any of my inquires via mail nor from MP office.

Btw, thank you for the clarification on the co-signer part. Should I fill the IMM5604 form, sign and get it notarized, as I'm in Canada (& not accompanying my son) and my son is travelling with his mother. Please clarify.

I have sent you a personal note with my WhatsApp number. Would you mind giving me a buzz, so I can directly talk to about the options and try them out right away ?

Appreciate your time and help again !

Looking forward to your reply

Cheers
Vinay

Last edited:

Vinay S

Aug 20, 2015
I was filling the IMM5604 form and the following line is scary.

I have read and understand the contents of this letter and by signing and returning this letter, I am confirming that I fully understand that I may be permanently separated from my above-named child.

I'm supposed sign under this line which is sounding is weird.

In my case, do I really need to fill out this form ? We are happily married :D. My wife who is PR as well is stuck in India with my son (this application is for him) & she would be accompanying him to Canada to reunite with me. Do I still need to fill out the form "Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada" ? If yes, in this case, should I fill the form since I'm not accompanying my son from India ? Also, what about the line highlighted in blue ?

Cheers
Vinay