Co-op Work Permit

Firefly18

Aug 2, 2016
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
13-09-2016
Hello,

My husband has been issued a co-op work permit from September 2016-March 2017. He will be doing his co-op with a company from September 2016-Dec 2016 only. My question is can he work full time after Dec 2016 too as his co-op work permit will still be valid? Can he work for any employer full time from Jan 2017-Mar 2017?

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No he can't work full-time after DEC 2016. He can't work for any random employer after his co-op term. If you look at co-op permit, under employer section, your college name would be there. So, basically you can only work for those jobs which is approved by co-op department of your school.

"The co-op work permit is only for work that is for credit and is a required part of your academic program such as official college/university co-op work terms and practicum placements. It cannot be used for work that is not part of your official academic program of study. For example, it cannot be used for internships required by external funding organizations or for any other kind of work that is not essential to your program of study (‘essential’ means that you cannot graduate unless you complete the work term)"
Firefly18 said:
Hello,

My husband has been issued a co-op work permit from September 2016-March 2017. He will be doing his co-op with a company from September 2016-Dec 2016 only. My question is can he work full time after Dec 2016 too as his co-op work permit will still be valid? Can he work for any employer full time from Jan 2017-Mar 2017?

Tejashree.t27

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
No he can't work full-time after DEC 2016. He can't work for any random employer after his co-op term. If you look at co-op permit, under employer section, your college name would be there. So, basically you can only work for those jobs which is approved by co-op department of your school.

"The co-op work permit is only for work that is for credit and is a required part of your academic program such as official college/university co-op work terms and practicum placements. It cannot be used for work that is not part of your official academic program of study. For example, it cannot be used for internships required by external funding organizations or for any other kind of work that is not essential to your program of study (‘essential’ means that you cannot graduate unless you complete the work term)"

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

I am currently doing my internship (Full time paid). My college requires 255 hrs. internship.

I have co-op valid till August 2022. My question is can I continue my internship after my 255 hrs (Minimum requirement of college) is finished. My last semester (i.e. current internship term) is ending in April 2022. And I would like to continue my internship till April 2022, am I allowed to do it?

I have also read on the official site that "Internship should be 50% of total course duration". My total course duration is 915 hrs (I think it includes 255 hrs of internship as well, but I am not sure). So 50% of 915 hrs or 50% of 660hrs (915 - 255 = 660)?

I was not able to find the answer to my question . Kindly help.

Thank you !!