+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CO-OP work permit problem

SumiTomar

Oct 26, 2018
Hi ,

I am in problem and seeking for some advice.

I had a work term in my program and later i extended it for another semester.
I was not being paid for my first co-op but was getting minimum wage in second one.
Later 1 and a half month after starting my second co-op i found out that work permit was needed for my co-ops.
that too when i was asked from the bank to switch my account from student to regular.
Than only , i came to know that co-op work permit and immediately i discontinued my on going co-op work..

I consulted from the college , they switched my program to non co-op one without my permission, though i was aware of it and they asked to fill the application, but they switched without taking my application/permission.

The problem is now that i am not authorized to work which means i am on unauthorized break.

How is it going to impact my Work Permit after completing my studies?

Please let me know any solution, i am very much stressed and under extreme pressure.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is too complicated a situation for an internet forum. I would strongly recommend that you consult with a good immigration lawyer.

SumiTomar

Oct 26, 2018
This is too complicated a situation for an internet forum. I would strongly recommend that you consult with a good immigration lawyer.
Can you suggest any. I don't know where to find a lawyer and under whom guidance i can proceed.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
As you are an International student, the college should have had advised you that you needed work permit for CO-OP terms in the first place. What I don't understand, is you say they switched the course to non co-op? So when did they switch it? While you were on the co-op? You say you are unauthorized to work, but why would you be working if they switched your course? Sorry just trying to get my head around what happened.

How long is your course. Be aware if you are on an unauthorized break, your study permit may be cancelled.

SumiTomar

Oct 26, 2018
College issued a letter for work permit but didn't gave explicit guidance at any point.
Though it was written on letter(i regret i didn't heed towards it).

They switched my course last Thursday.
I was on co-op but when i found out about co-op work permit i discontinued on immediate basis.
they switched when i asked about the co-op work permit to kind of help me.
but my semester started earlier in September.
so , i can not go to school.

My course is of 2 years.

I don't want my work permit get cancelled.
Is there anything i can do about it?

I was totally unaware of the co-op work permit.
Please let me know what can i do.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
So the college did advise you then. Still don't understand about switching your course. They switched it from what to what?

I don't want my work permit get cancelled. You have a study permit, not a work permit. Your study permit WILL get cancelled if the college report that you are not studying. There is not really anything you can do about that now, as the college advised you to get work permit and you didn't. I doubt a lawyer can help you as the college is not a fault. You have to find out if your study permit is still valid. Maybe you could change your status to visitor. You are in a mess and sure go to a lawyer and they can advise, but I don't really think they will be able to help you to get PGWP.

SumiTomar

Oct 26, 2018
They switched the course to non co-op.

By this " I don't want my work permit get cancelled " i meant is, I don't want any problem in PGWP , which is issued after school.
See , i am studying and have a valid study permit.
All i want to know , how can i avoid any inconvenience in PFWP.
I don't get it why you said if my study permit is valid.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
As I have stated several times, if you are not studying for an extended period (90 days) or if your college reports you are not studying (unscheduled break) your study permit will automatically be cancelled. Concerning your PGWP, unfortunately since you have now had an unscheduled break, you will not get your PGWP. You really need to get the advice of a lawyer, as you MAY be out of status right now.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You need to do research on the internet etc, to find a lawyer that will deal with this sort of situation. If you actually post where you are in Canada, somebody on the forum may be able to suggest one, but do your own research.

SumiTomar

Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for your help.

I am live near Brampton , Mississauga and Etobicoke.
If there is anyone(lawyer) you know, Please please let me know.