+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-op Work Permit Please Help

enatatious

Star Member
Mar 7, 2021
I am applying in fitness and health promotion at Durham College.

https://durhamcollege.ca/programs/fitness-and-health-promotion

The course has field placements in year 2 (4th semester).

I have received LOA but the Co-op/Work Experience Component which is generally included with most LOA's is not included.

I have sent countless email to Durham College International section to provide me the letter or an explanation but they have been utterly useless.

Now my understanding is that i have to answer yes to the below questions in study visa form.

Is work an essential component of your studies?
Yes

If I Answer Yes then i have to attach below evidence in Study Visa.

Evidence of Work Requirement in Study (required)

Reply from agent:
Please Note Co-op work letter is not required to upload to IRCC. Student will get it 3 to 4 months before starting the co-op. Regards.

Now if i go ahead and answer No to the work experience component, won't that be misrepresentation.

Also if I answer yes then i don't have the co-op letter to attach.

Someone with expertise kindly please advice.

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021

I have received LOA but the Co-op/Work Experience Component which is generally included with most LOA's is not included.

I have sent countless email to Durham College International section to provide me the letter or an explanation but they have been utterly useless.

Now my understanding is that i have to answer yes to the below questions in study visa form.

Yes

Reply from agent:
Please Note Co-op work letter is not required to upload to IRCC. Student will get it 3 to 4 months before starting the co-op. Regards.

Now if i go ahead and answer No to the work experience component, won't that be misrepresentation.

Whilst you are in the process of applying for COOP permit , there are two specific question I saw , one, when does your status in Canada expire ? That roughly translate to you'll need to be in Canada else have study permit issued to you. Also one can't file for COOP permit outside Canada. Two, after answering all the preliminary questionnaire a document checklist is generated which specifically asks you to upload Coop letter.

So you'll need to have a status , study permit to apply for Co-op permit.

Cheers

enatatious

Star Member
Mar 7, 2021
Whilst you are in the process of applying for COOP permit , there are two specific question I saw , one, when does your status in Canada expire ? That roughly translate to you'll need to be in Canada else have study permit issued to you. Also one can't file for COOP permit outside Canada. Two, after answering all the preliminary questionnaire a document checklist is generated which specifically asks you to upload Coop letter.

So you'll need to have a status , study permit to apply for Co-op permit.

Cheers
Thanks for your reply. But i think your info is wrong. One can apply Co-op along with student permit while submitting an initial study permit application while not in Canada.

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021
Thanks for your reply. But i think your info is wrong. One can apply Co-op along with student permit while submitting an initial study permit application while not in Canada.
I apologize, yes you can apply co-op permit with study permit.
The checklist will have " Evidence of work requirement in study" (required).

Dorabach

Star Member
Jun 2, 2021

Yes

Reply from agent:

I also reapplied this 18th of June after refusal on 14th. My school udpates me that I need to apply coop permit but on the LOA they have sent me says i dont neet coop. So, i under" is work essential on your studies" i answered no. Do you think it wouldn't affect my application and i will just apply coop.permit once i will be issued student visa?

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
I also reapplied this 18th of June after refusal on 14th. My school udpates me that I need to apply coop permit but on the LOA they have sent me says i dont neet coop. So, i under" is work essential on your studies" i answered no. Do you think it wouldn't affect my application and i will just apply coop.permit once i will be issued student visa?
A friend of mine was in the same position as you and she was issued S-1 visa. The term before the co op term, she has one course that prepares them for the co op and the professor there gave the students a co op letter and told them to apply for the co op work permit using that. It was issued with no problems whatsoever.

Dorabach

Star Member
Jun 2, 2021
A friend of mine was in the same position as you and she was issued S-1 visa. The term before the co op term, she has one course that prepares them for the co op and the professor there gave the students a co op letter and told them to apply for the co op work permit using that. It was issued with no problems whatsoever.
So, there isnt any issue in the immigration. Once my student permit will get approve then i can apply my coop permit once i arrive canada? What if immigration found out that my course needs coop.permit but i answered no in the "is work essential in your.studies?

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
So, there isnt any issue in the immigration. Once my student permit will get approve then i can apply my coop permit once i arrive canada? What if immigration found out that my course needs coop.permit but i answered no in the "is work essential in your.studies?
You can apply for it inside Canada for free.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018

Yes

Reply from agent:

What’s listed in box #24 of your LOA?

Aug 27, 2022

Yes

Reply from agent:

Hi, Can you please advise me on the same? How did you apply? Did you apply for co-op or did it after reaching Canada?