Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
"Co-Op" !
What is it ?
What r its benefits ?
Where can we enrol for it ?

The term "Co-Op" stands for "Co-operative Education" in Canada. Which is basically an 'Adult Learning Programme' and is aimed at newcomers with 'overseas quals & exp'.

Co-Op programs are unpaid and generally take 18 weeks to complete, in Ontario. Incidentally, Ontario is highly, pretty much, into this 'induction training' for newly landed immigrants... is fully-funded by the Govt. [CIC & other agencies]...while other provinces r a bit lacking behind.

Most regions of Ontario are seriously imparting this awesome & deeply beneficial programme, Eg. Toronto, Peel District etc... whose programs are geared towards helping newcomers get Canadian work experience. These programs include an 'in-school' component with secondary school credits; and a 'real-time' placement with various employers - both Govt., Quasi-Govt. and the Corporate sector.

The "Co-Op" benefits

Several Co-operative education (Co-Op) programs are available through the various "Adult Day Schools" to help adults get Canadian work experience [not entirely for newcomers only]. These FREE programs can help you:
- Get Canadian employment experience,
- Apply your skills in a workplace setting,
- Learn business communication skills,
- Develop the skills and knowledge needed to become confident in the workplace, and
- Get current references from actual employers.

Where do we go to get that

In Toronto, the following TDSB [Toronto District School Board] Adult Day schools offer co-op programs:
1. Burnhamthorpe Adult Learning Centre
2. City Adult Learning Centre
3. Emery Adult Learning Centre
4. Scarborough Centre for Alternative Studies
5. Yorkdale Adult Learning Centre

In Peel, www.dpcdsb.org [Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board] run these wonderful programs:
1. Business Leadership Co-op
2. Office Accounting Co-op
3. Foreign Trained Professional Co-op
4. Office Administration or Customer Service Co-op

Course Contents

Part 1: In class for 7 weeks. Learn how to job search, write a resume, practice interviewing, research companies for your unpaid work placement and more! This course will get you ready to succeed on your work placement! English must be your second language to join this program.

Part 2: 9 weeks unpaid work placement in a company that is in your field or occupation of choice! Gain weeks of Canadian work experience, references, networking and a good chance for paid work in your field! The work placement allows you to get your foot in the door - so you can show all the experience you have brought with you to Canada.

St. Gabriel Centre
3750 Brandon Gate Drive, Mississauga-ON, L4T 3M8

http://www.dpcdsb.org/CEC/CNE/Adult+Centres/St+Gabriels+Centre/

Located at Malton-Mississauga, this is by far the best centre for "Co-Op" as it runs classes around-the-year, unlike other centres which have limited [usually 2-3] programs in a year. Thus, if a newcomer gets late to join them, and a course is already on -- s/he doesn't have to wait much to enrol in the next... which would run again in 1-1.5 months max.

Success Stories

Usually, while on a Co-Op placement, one could get either placed in the same org, as a permanent employee, or could/would develop enough links to fetch his/her next proper placement. A wise idea is to be deeply co-operative, courteous & respectful to the instructor - who, 99%, has a pre-know of the 'nicer' postings - those that lead to a 'full-time job'. Obviously, such postings r sparse, so s/he gets to 'pick' the more 'nicer' students for these placements... get the hint?**

“I worked full-time to search companies & job advertisements... I sent my cover letter and resumes to several hundred companies, but I did not get a chance to have a job as a mechanical engineer.... I took part in your co-op program & I got a job offer.”
Ali M
Mechanical Engineer

“I am pleased to announce that we have hired 3 of your students... this program has provided some highly educated individuals.”
Brian Roland
Goodrich Landing Gear Division

Fees

The Co-Op programs are FREE, however a minuscule 'material fees & registration charges' apply [$30 currently]... this can be paid by personal check, visa, money order or cash. U receive a 'Registration Card'.

How to Register for a Co-op Program

For St. Gabriel Centre, call them at 905-362-0701 and make an appointment for a 40 minute English test. Bring two things:
1. Your resume
2. Your PR card, citizen card or Canadian passport. All status documents must be original documents, not photocopies.
(A 40 minute English test for non-native speakers is required followed by an interview)

Hope that helped...

Qorax
**Thanx Explorer101 for this hint.

ei8ht

Star Member
Jan 11, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
15 Aug 2009
Awesome information,,,, +1 sir.

pandey.ved

Star Member
Jul 20, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011
Doc's Request.
sent with app
AOR Received.
24-03-2011
IELTS Request
sent with app
File Transfer...
Med's Request
23-5-2012
Med's Done....
23-6-2012
Interview........
no interview.....
VISA ISSUED...
July 2012
LANDED..........
Sept 2012
great information...

so does it mean if one want to have canadian expereince can join these programs??... and how about job chances do they arrange employment too??

SmGrGe

Jun 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2011, cc charged on 12-08-2011
Doc's Request.
Submitted including PCC
AOR Received.
29-09-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted, 8.5 band
File Transfer...
In Process at VO: 22-11-2011
Med's Request
23-11-2011
Med's Done....
15-01-2012
Passport Req..
02-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2012
I have just filed my application - still very encouraging and useful information!
Hats off!

mayankpandya

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2011.
Doc's Request.
PER on 24- MAR- 2011.
AOR Received.
20-APRIL-2011
File Transfer...
In-Process on 30 May 2011
Med's Request
14 July 2011
Med's Done....
22 July 2011
Passport Req..
14 -Jul- 2011 Passport send on 26-Jul-11
VISA ISSUED...
29-AUG-11
LANDED..........
16-OCT-11
Thanks Qorax for again wonderful thread.

Regards
Mayank

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Qorax for making such a wondeful post. With this Co-op one can add Canadian experience to the resume and it helps a lot in job search. It is better to join Co-op after landing and simultaneouly apply for jobs. As qorax stressed be nice to the coordinator and other staff.
Few things one should take care in Co op/ job in Canada.
1. Never talk in native( non english ) language, a lot of times boss/ co op teacher think that u r saying something against them. And this is also a fact, so their suspecion is not baseless.
2. Be smart but do not try to be oversmart.
3. Never pose that u r better than boss/ co op teacher and they know nothing and u know everything.
4. Never gossip in Co op class / make groups.
5. Be careful of gossiping in washrooms. U never know who is listening there.
6. Be regular, punctual, neat and tidy.
7. Do not make mistake of thinking that co op class is just a formality to get a job. Take it very seriously.
8. For the guys- stricly no crush, fling etc etc towards the co op teacher or fellow students. While talking to anyone , do not enter in their private space. Canadians do not like office romance.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
explorer101 said:
Thank you Qorax for making such a wondeful post. With this Co-op one can add Canadian experience to the resume and it helps a lot in job search. It is better to join Co-op after landing and simultaneouly apply for jobs. As qorax stressed be nice to the coordinator and other staff.
Few things one should take care in Co op/ job in Canada.
1. Never talk in native( non english ) language, a lot of times boss/ co op teacher think that u r saying something against them. And this is also a fact, so their suspecion is not baseless.
2. Be smart but do not try to be oversmart.
3. Never pose that u r better than boss/ co op teacher and they know nothing and u know everything.
4. Never gossip in Co op class / make groups.
5. Be careful of gossiping in washrooms. U never know who is listening there.
6. Be regular, punctual, neat and tidy.
7. Do not make mistake of thinking that co op class is just a formality to get a job. Take it very seriously.
8. For the guys- stricly no crush, fling etc etc towards the co op teacher or fellow students. While talking to anyone , do not enter in their private space. Canadians do not like office romance.
Thanx Explorer101 for that useful rejoinder.
Qorax

silly_chantell

Star Member
Aug 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
7 Jul 17
Nomination.....
02 Aug 17
AOR Received.
26 Oct 17
Med's Done....
18 Sep 2017
Passport Req..
15 Dec 2017
VISA ISSUED...
18 Jan 2018
LANDED..........
23 Jan 2018
always hewrad about this but wasnt too sure how it worked. :eek: now i am pleasantly informed!!! ;)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Canadian4U said:
Thanks Qorax and Explorer.

Pls confirm whether branch available in Vancouver.

Thanks
There could be / should be -- but I can't substantiate that.

arashid5

Feb 13, 2011
Q8
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad Pakistan
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
17 Feb 2010
AOR Received.
2AOR 17 08 2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Documents
File Transfer...
24 Feb 2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Most Probably Waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting for HUKM-E-RABI
qorax said:
Thanx Explorer101 for that useful rejoinder.
Qorax
Dear Qorax

I want to disscuss with you regarding my case, I got 2nd AOR in 18 august 2010,,, and the status is still RBVO....should I email/Contact London Visa office or wait for themmmmmm......

Please advise

edmonta

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0711 & 9212
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-May-2010
Doc's Request.
30-sept-2010
AOR Received.
1st-30th Sept 2010,2nd-08th June 2011
IELTS Request
done-7 band
File Transfer...
dont know what is this..in process from 26 april 2012
Med's Request
19-July-2013
Med's Done....
30-July-2013,ECAS updated with Medicals received on 18-Aug-2013
Interview........
not been called for..
Passport Req..
19-July-13
VISA ISSUED...
On 4th October 2013
LANDED..........
July 2014
http://www.accc.ca/english/services/i-services/bt_programs.htm

found this info. while searching for other province like Alberta.

Seems that there are enough options available for the bridging programmes in other provinces too..
Regards

Edmonta