+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CO-OP IN PGWP AFTER GRADUATION

jeevananth

Oct 31, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I was enrolled in a one year course (Jan - Dec 2018) in ON. My last semester is a co-op term (Sep-Dec 2018). Once I complete my Co-op I will be graduating.

I am now in my co-op term and my company is willing to extend my co-op for one more term (Jan - Apr 2019).

My job profile falls in the code NOC A.

My question is If I accept this offer, will my full time Co-op for the 4 months in PGWP (which I have to apply) will be considered as a Canadian experience?.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Myra, but my co-op for 4 months from jan-april 2019 will be after graduating.

So, this raises the question if it will be considered as a work experience or not.
Well, if it is after graduation , it is not co-op. Your company should not call it a co-op, since that means they would be using co-op funding illegally. (employers receive government funds for co-op STUDENT placements). And if your employer insists on calling it a co-op, you will have a headache, because IRCC will likely refuse it, regardless of whether it is before or after you graduate.

You CAN do a paid internship after graduation, and it will count as work experience, as long as you have your PGWP and it is paid as an INTERNSHIP (not a co-op).

jeevananth

Oct 31, 2018
Well, if it is after graduation , it is not co-op. Your company should not call it a co-op, since that means they would be using co-op funding illegally. (employers receive government funds for co-op STUDENT placements). And if your employer insists on calling it a co-op, you will have a headache, because IRCC will likely refuse it, regardless of whether it is before or after you graduate.

You CAN do a paid internship after graduation, and it will count as work experience, as long as you have your PGWP and it is paid as an INTERNSHIP (not a co-op).
Thanks .I have applied for my PGWP and it is yet to be approved. But I applied for PGWP before starting this new paid internship. will that be counted as a work exp?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

vnkt_krish

May 30, 2020
Hey Jeevananth, Not sure if you would see this, but I’m in a similar situation and would like to know if you were able to get an answer later in time. Kindly let me know.

regards,
Venkat

miliano

Dec 8, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I was enrolled in a one year course (Jan - Dec 2018) in ON. My last semester is a co-op term (Sep-Dec 2018). Once I complete my Co-op I will be graduating.

I am now in my co-op term and my company is willing to extend my co-op for one more term (Jan - Apr 2019).

My job profile falls in the code NOC A.

My question is If I accept this offer, will my full time Co-op for the 4 months in PGWP (which I have to apply) will be considered as a Canadian experience?.

Hi Jeevananth,
Were you able to get your answer? I assume you're already a PR. Did the officer allow the period of JAN - APR 2019 to be counted as Canadian experience? I have a similar situation and would really like to know more about this, please.

miliano

Dec 8, 2022
Hey Jeevananth, Not sure if you would see this, but I’m in a similar situation and would like to know if you were able to get an answer later in time. Kindly let me know.

regards,
Venkat

Hello, were you able to get your answer?