+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CO-OP education

arvan903

May 16, 2024
Hello guys,

10 months ago I paid an agent to find an appropriate way for me to immigrate to Canada, he suggested I apply for a work permit, and I agreed and he found a job offer for me, before apply he suggested again apply for CO-OP education which means work and educate for an institute, and again I agreed and he found an institute and got the job offer and admission then submitted the application.
when I went to biometrics they said my application was a study permit, and in the IRCC tracker, they wrote study permit. but he is still saying it's co-op education.
now I want to know did he lie to me? my application is refused.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Think you are being scammed. For work permit you need a LMIA from a Canadian employer proving no Canadian/PR has the skills/education, only you.

If going to school, you get admission to a DLI (pay tuition and show min. $21k in funds) and attend school. There may be a co-op component but it is tied to completing the program. So usually you get a co-op job after completing a few semesters and must be completed to graduate.

arvan903

May 16, 2024
Think you are being scammed. For work permit you need a LMIA from a Canadian employer proving no Canadian/PR has the skills/education, only you.

If going to school, you get admission to a DLI (pay tuition and show min. $21k in funds) and attend school. There may be a co-op component but it is tied to completing the program. So usually you get a co-op job after completing a few semesters and must be completed to graduate.

my application number starts with S and also in the IRCC tracker application type was Study Permit.
If my application was co-op then the application type in IRCC tracker must be co-op work permit ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
my application number starts with S and also in the IRCC tracker application type was Study Permit.
If my application was co-op then the application type in IRCC tracker must be co-op work permit ?
What school did you get admission to? If the program is co-op then you apply for a study permit and co-op work permit at the same time. The co-op work permit will be in the name of the school as it is tied to program requirements.

How much have you paid this agent?

arvan903

May 16, 2024
What school did you get admission to? If the program is co-op then you apply for a study permit and co-op work permit at the same time. The co-op work permit will be in the name of the school as it is tied to program requirements.

How much have you paid this agent?

He did not say the name of the school, there wasn't anything about a co-op work permit in the IRCC tracker, there was only a study permit.

I paid 5500 CAD for myself and 1500 CAD for my wife

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
He did not say the name of the school, there wasn't anything about a co-op work permit in the IRCC tracker, there was only a study permit.

I paid 5500 CAD for myself and 1500 CAD for my wife
You cannot apply for a co-op work permit without a study permit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html

Eligibility
Some study programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if you meet all of the following conditions:

• You have a valid study permit.
  • You are required to work in order to complete your study program in Canada.
  • You have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree.
  • Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program.

You cannot apply for a co-op work permit as a stand alone (not connected to a DLI co-op program). Looks like you’re being scammed.

Reactions: forevermore76

arvan903

May 16, 2024
You cannot apply for a co-op work permit without a study permit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html

Eligibility
Some study programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if you meet all of the following conditions:

• You have a valid study permit.
  • You are required to work in order to complete your study program in Canada.
  • You have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree.
  • Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program.

You cannot apply for a co-op work permit as a stand alone (not connected to a DLI co-op program). Looks like you’re being scammed.

so it means that before I want to apply for a co-op work permit I must have a study permit yeah?

This means for this program I must have 2 valid visas:
1: Study permit
2: co-op work permit

I am right ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
so it means that before I want to apply for a co-op work permit I must have a study permit yeah?

This means for this program I must have 2 valid visas:
1: Study permit
2: co-op work permit

I am right ?
The study permit comes first so what school have you paid tuition and shown funds for? If not taking a Masters/PhD then spouse is not eligible for a work permit.

When applying for your study permit, you can select applying for a co-op work permit if your program has one.

arvan903

May 16, 2024
The study permit comes first so what school have you paid tuition and shown funds for? If not taking a Masters/PhD then spouse is not eligible for a work permit.

When applying for your study permit, you can select applying for a co-op work permit if your program has one.

I applied for an open work permit for my wife besides myself, was that allowed?
it was a college, not the university that I applied for a study and co-op work permit

I am asking this question because I think I am scammed as you said and they told me lie, they did mistakes on my application and my application is refuse is their fault.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
it was a college, not the university that I applied for a study and co-op work permit

I am asking this question because I think I am scammed as you said and they told me lie, they did mistakes on my application and my application is refuse is their fault.
IRCC will hold you responsible if the application is refused. It doesn't matter if you used an agent, you are still held responsible as the applicant.

No, you and your wife do not qualify for an open work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

What school did you apply to? You would have paid first year tuition and shown $21k in the ban when applying. Spouse is not eligible for a work permit.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
The chances are better of getting approval if the OP applies for student permit first and then gets a co-op once in Canada. Obviously, the intent is not to study, and instead work, so it's a more effective way imo.

OP is clearly being scammed as their consultant initially promised a work permit which is next to impossible in this case, and then went the study/co-op route. Eventually nothing will come out of it and OP will stand losing either a bunch of money or somehow land in Canada to realize what they signed up for.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The chances are better of getting approval if the OP applies for student permit first and then gets a co-op once in Canada. Obviously, the intent is not to study, and instead work, so it's a more effective way imo.

OP is clearly being scammed as their consultant initially promised a work permit which is next to impossible in this case, and then went the study/co-op route. Eventually nothing will come out of it and OP will stand losing either a bunch of money or somehow land in Canada to realize what they signed up for.
Agree being scammed as they have paid $7k and for what?

Reactions: forevermore76