+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit / Job offer / LMIA exemption / Flagpoling

Wirazo

Dec 29, 2019
Hi,

I have some questions about flagpoling to change my status in Canada, and I wanna share some information so that you can know what my situation is:

- I am a Peruvian Electrical engineer with over 10 years of professional experience in my country.
- I landed in Canada in January 2019 under a studt permit.
- I studied at a private college, that is why I am not eligible for the PGWP.
- My family; wife and 2 kids joined me by the end of March 2019, my wife has an open work permit, and mi kids visitor visa.
- As a Peruvian electrical engineer, and given that there is a FTA between Canada and Peru, I am exempt of the LMIA.
- An employer called me in October telling me that he was going to give me a job offer taking into account that LMIA exemption.
- Last week, after some negotiation, I received the job offer and the offer of employment number to get the work permit.
- I plan to travel alone, my family will stay in Toronto.

So my questions are:

1. The job offer should consider any minimum wage? (considering a future express entry application)
2. As I am from a non TRV excepmt country, do I need a visitor visa for flagpoling?
3. I have a USA tourist visa, and I travel regularly there because I have family there, is there any issue if I try to do this? or is better to spend a night maybe in Niagara US?
4. Taking into account that I am already living in Canada, do I have to provide a health insurance?
5. Taking into account that I am already living in Canada, do I have to provide Proof of funds?
6. Taking into account that I am already living in Canada, do I have to provide a Medical examination report?
7. Do I have to provide evidence of plans to return tu Peru? I dont have return tickets.
8. Is there any particular day/days and times for flagpoling? I read it is better from Tue-Thu.
9. I have all my support documents for the job offer, such as diplomas, credentials, job reference letters, translated by a peruvian certified translator, is that enough? or it should be translated by a Canadian translator.
10. I already have an ECA from ICAS, should I provide that?
11. Do I need anything special to drive to the US? I think that is the cheapest option, I have a G Ontario licence.
12. Should I provide biometrics at the port of entry? how much is that?

Thanks in advace

Last edited:

Wirazo

Dec 29, 2019
Any help? I decided to take a flight next Friday, would it be the same process bun easier ?

Regards

ruyit

Sep 18, 2019
2. As I am from a non TRV excepmt country, do I need a visitor visa for flagpoling?

About this question. If your student visa allows multiple entries and is still valid, you don't need a visitor Visa

ruyit

Sep 18, 2019
Any help? I decided to take a flight next Friday, would it be the same process bun easier ?

Regards
Please let us know how it went, I'm planning to flagpole next week and I have the same questions .
Thank you!

Wirazo

Dec 29, 2019
Given that nobody replied, well I found some good information browsing, and I finally went to NYC last Friday, and came back on Saturday, I gathered a lot of documents, work an education evidence, bank statements, and so on. Well once landed and was waiting on the line, I was called by a migration officer to check my passport, I let him know I wanted to ask for a work permit because I had a job offer, so he told me to go to the modules on the back, after 20 minutes another officer called me and I explained him I was asking for a work permit because I had a job offer. Then the officer asked me for an "A" number, which is the number CIC provided to my employer when he registered the position on the CIC portal, I explained him I am exempt of the LMIA because of some FTA between Peru and Canada, then he replied that as I was not from an elegible country which doesn't need a TRV, so I should get it while I am in Canada and I almost die... I asked him that I didn't need the TRV because I hold a valid study permit, I asked this twice until another officer approached us and told him that indeed, I can ask for the work permit, because when you travel to the USA it doesn't count as an internationa tripl, so finally they issued me the closed work permit and well, they never asked me university diplomas, work evidence, resume, nothing, only the A number and the job offer, and now I will start working tomorrow, if anyone wanna ask me anything, you can contact me.

Reactions: ruyit

vijaybg2003

May 30, 2016
Given that nobody replied, well I found some good information browsing, and I finally went to NYC last Friday, and came back on Saturday, I gathered a lot of documents, work an education evidence, bank statements, and so on. Well once landed and was waiting on the line, I was called by a migration officer to check my passport, I let him know I wanted to ask for a work permit because I had a job offer, so he told me to go to the modules on the back, after 20 minutes another officer called me and I explained him I was asking for a work permit because I had a job offer. Then the officer asked me for an "A" number, which is the number CIC provided to my employer when he registered the position on the CIC portal, I explained him I am exempt of the LMIA because of some FTA between Peru and Canada, then he replied that as I was not from an elegible country which doesn't need a TRV, so I should get it while I am in Canada and I almost die... I asked him that I didn't need the TRV because I hold a valid study permit, I asked this twice until another officer approached us and told him that indeed, I can ask for the work permit, because when you travel to the USA it doesn't count as an internationa tripl, so finally they issued me the closed work permit and well, they never asked me university diplomas, work evidence, resume, nothing, only the A number and the job offer, and now I will start working tomorrow, if anyone wanna ask me anything, you can contact me.

Hi good to know that you got it.
I wanted to apply for extension of my open work permit flagpoling.. I ha e already applied for open work permit online but the processing time is 90 days. My employer said I cannot work if my existing work permit is expired. I tried to convince them I am on implied status, but they didnt understand.

Can I apply for open work permit again by flagpoling and get it there itself same day?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi good to know that you got it.
I wanted to apply for extension of my open work permit flagpoling.. I ha e already applied for open work permit online but the processing time is 90 days. My employer said I cannot work if my existing work permit is expired. I tried to convince them I am on implied status, but they didnt understand.

Can I apply for open work permit again by flagpoling and get it there itself same day?
On what grounds are you applying for an OWP extension?

Asive

Aug 28, 2019
I have the same situation, i want to apply for work permit but i only have a job offer letter

Asive

Aug 28, 2019
what type of permit are you eligible for? If closed, you need a LMIA.
what type of permit are you eligible for? If closed, you need a LMIA.
Thank you for your response; I want to flagpole for an open work permit. To tell you more about my situation;
Am currently on a TRV.
My study permit expired 31 March 2023.
I studied 1-year course and completed it last year in October. ( I believe I have missed the deadline for PWGP already)
The only thing I have is a job letter offer.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your response; I want to flagpole for an open work permit. To tell you more about my situation;
Am currently on a TRV.
My study permit expired 31 March 2023.
I studied 1-year course and completed it last year in October. ( I believe I have missed the deadline for PWGP already)
The only thing I have is a job letter offer.
Why didn’t you apply for a PGWP a year ago? Your study permit expired 90 days after graduation so did you change your status to visitor. You cannot flagpole for an open work permit. You are not eligible for an open work permit on a TRV. You need an approved LMIA from your employer to apply for a closed work permit.

Asive

Aug 28, 2019
I was unfortunately stuck in Turkey during the earthquake I got affected. Yes, I changed my status to visitor before the Study permit expired. My work don’t issue LMIA.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was unfortunately stuck in Turkey during the earthquake I got affected. Yes, I changed my status to visitor before the Study permit expired.
So you couldn’t apply for a PGWP because you had 6 months to do so (October-March)? What is your citizenship?