+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed Work Permit But loosing job in few months

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
cee12345 said:
Normally when your spouse receives her Open Work Permit (same validity as your Work Permit), she can work to any employer she wants until it is expired.
I am talking about a situation when the principal applicant for temp work visa who received closed work visa get fired and his spouse because of him had received OWP.
It is logical that the spouse shouldn't be able to work, because for the principal applicant to work, he need new LMO and the spouse with OWP can change the jobs every couple of months.
It seems that it is better to have OWP then TWP.

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-12-2014 (Received in Ottawa on May-14-2014)
Doc's Request.
Sent PCC on Sep-4-2014 (without any request from CIC)
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Dec-23-2014 (by Dr. Gabor Lantos - Uploaded via eMedical on Jan-13-2015. ECAS updated to Medical Received on Jan-16-2015)
Passport Req..
March 23, 2015 at 9:37PM (ECAS Status changed to Decision Made on March 24, 2015)
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
actonis said:
I am talking about a situation when the principal applicant for temp work visa who received closed work visa get fired and his spouse because of him had received OWP.
It is logical that the spouse shouldn't be able to work, because for the principal applicant to work, he need new LMO and the spouse with OWP can change the jobs every couple of months.
It seems that it is better to have OWP then TWP.
Actonis - I think you need to read more. I do not know why you are always giving false information.
Once you receive your WORK PERMIT (Be that through your SPOUSE or any other Route) will have a validity or expiry date.
In most cases, if it is under SPOUSE then IT WILL HAVE THE SAME EXPIRY DATE as the Principal Work Permit Holder.
If the Principal got fired or has resigned before the expiry of his WORK PERMIT, technically he is still AUTHORIZED under his WORK PERMIT (even if in actual he is no longer working with the same company).

Upon renewal/extension, it will be again under his SPOUSE (if there is a new work permit) or the Spouse apply for new work permit under LMO route.

Please understand carefully the points/cases before you comment.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Hi cee12345

If I understood you well, you are saying that if the principal applicant loose or resign from his job it will not affect the spouse/partner with OWP. Even though the principal is not allowed to work somewhere else unless he get new LMO and applied for new work visa, the spouse/partner can continue working or change jobs at will.

I didn't find specific explanation about this situation on the CIC website. Maybe I can't find the right section. But above situation does not look logical to me.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

actonis said:
Hi cee12345

If I understood you well, you are saying that if the principal applicant loose or resign from his job it will not affect the spouse/partner with OWP. Even though the principal is not allowed to work somewhere else unless he get new LMO and applied for new work visa, the spouse/partner can continue working or change jobs at will.

I didn't find specific explanation about this situation on the CIC website. Maybe I can't find the right section. But above situation does not look logical to me.
One proviso, the work permit holder leaves Canada, then the SOWP is invalid.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Hi PMM

You mean if the principal applicant leaves Canada then the OWP visa is invalid?
Or you mean that if the principal applicant resign or loose hos job he needs to leave Canada and then the OWP visa is invalid?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

actonis said:
Hi PMM

You mean if the principal applicant leaves Canada then the OWP visa is invalid?
Or you mean that if the principal applicant resign or loose hos job he needs to leave Canada and then the OWP visa is invalid?
If the principal applicant leaves Canada, then the OWP is dead.

bib003

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2014
Doc's Request.
17-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP-G SENT WITH APP.
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
actonis said:
@ bib003

you said that your work permit was for 2 years ending in Sep 2015. That means that you started to work in Sep 2013. In order to apply for CEC you need 1 year of full time Canadian experience.

While I am no expert, I thing that you are allowed to stay up to 90 days after you loose your job in Canada unless you apply for different visa... then you can stay till the decision is made. At least this is my understanding ....
Happy New Year everyone,

Sorry for late reply as moving to new place. I got the job in Jan 2013 on OWP which expired in July 2013. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you all.

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
bib003 said:
Happy New Year everyone,

Sorry for late reply as moving to new place. I got the job in Jan 2013 on OWP which expired in July 2013. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you all.
If you don't mind me asking this how did you convert your CWP to OWP? I have a similar situation as yours was.

Rpatel22

Sep 21, 2018
Been in canada for over 5 years....i have Closed work permit with employer restrictions exp 2019 sep....applied for Pr application through pnp programme

july 2017 application
March 2018 medicals done

expecting ppr next month.
Got fired from my job.

I cannot work with closed work permit. Please advice what to do.

Will this affect my pr application, should i be informing cic or pnp office about it. Scared to death. Please help.

maurmore13

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Been in canada for over 5 years....i have Closed work permit with employer restrictions exp 2019 sep....applied for Pr application through pnp programme

july 2017 application
March 2018 medicals done

expecting ppr next month.
Got fired from my job.

I cannot work with closed work permit. Please advice what to do.

Will this affect my pr application, should i be informing cic or pnp office about it. Scared to death. Please help.
I am in the same situation. What have you done?