CELPIP-G SENT WITH APP.
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and read quite bit about it. I have a closed work permit for two years but unfortunately I will loose my job in few months. I spoke today to CIC that I can apply other work permit which is another six months procedure as new LMO needed. I just want to confirm that I can stay legally until my closed work permit expires (Sept 2015) which the officer said yes but I can't work for anyone else. I will apply for PR application under CEC next month end.

Thank you all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can stay legally.

bib003

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2014
Doc's Request.
17-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP-G SENT WITH APP.
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
Thank you. One quick question. Is it possible that my employer can cancel my closed work permit?

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
bib003 said:
Thank you. One quick question. Is it possible that my employer can cancel my closed work permit?
AFAIK, the employer cannot cancel the WP, but if the employer informs HRSDC that the position is no longer required and the LMO can be canceled, then, your WP will be canceled. In that case, if you are notified by HRSDC, then they MIGHT ask you to leave the country.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BigBee said:
AFAIK, the employer cannot cancel the WP, but if the employer informs HRSDC that the position is no longer required and the LMO can be canceled, then, your WP will be canceled. In that case, if you are notified by HRSDC, then they MIGHT ask you to leave the country.
Don't scare the poor guy. This will not happen. Once the LMO is issued, HRSDC has no involvement in cancelling work permits (which CIC won't do) The OP can remain as a visitor as mentioned a number of times.

Reactions: Achilees

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

Don't scare the poor guy. This will not happen. Once the LMO is issued, HRSDC has no involvement in cancelling work permits (which CIC won't do) The OP can remain as a visitor as mentioned a number of times.
;D ha ha ha..... Certainly no intentions of scaring the OP....

I stand corrected PMM... the above statement was told to me when I asked this question a few months back... :eek:

bib003

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2014
Doc's Request.
17-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP-G SENT WITH APP.
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
Thank you guys for the information. I think I have to dig out some more information regarding HRSDC.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi bib003,

sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.
don't worry about the HRSDC,its the employer's thing not the worker.your only concerns should be with CIC.
once work permit is issued it can't be cancelled because LMO has already been used.
LMO can only be cancelled,revoked before the work permit issuance.
now focus about applying for your pr under cec and once your employment is terminated you can apply for EI while waiting for your new work permit to be issued.meanwhile you can start looking for another employer willing to hire you through the LMO route now since you have plenty of time till you work permit expires and im sure if you are determined and search hard you will find something.

good luck and happy new year :)

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi BigBee,

a quick note for you,please do not comment on such situations like this if you are not sure about the answer.the fact that someone gave you a wrong advice is not an excuse to spread it here.unless you are very sure about your answers do not publish them in this forum please.
make CIC your primary source of information,at least do some online research and you will see the correct statement in front of your eyes.

good luck and happy new years :)

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
@bib003

you said that your work permit was for 2 years ending in Sep 2015. That means that you started to work in Sep 2013. In order to apply for CEC you need 1 year of full time Canadian experience.

While I am no expert, I thing that you are allowed to stay up to 90 days after you loose your job in Canada unless you apply for different visa... then you can stay till the decision is made. At least this is my understanding ....

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
actonis,you are wrong.he can stay for the full period of his work permit this has been stated in this forum THOUSAND of times.if you are not an expert do not confuse people please.
the 90 days period is for people who's (work-study and visitor permits)expired already and they have not applied for an extension,cic gives them 90 days from the expiry date of their permits(as a grace period) to apply for a restoration of status.if the do not do so within 90 days they have to leave canada and apply from their home country.
as for CEC you are right(applicants need one year of full time skilled experience excluding the ineligible occupations defined by cic to apply)but i think the OP had another work permit before he got an extension in sept 2013 so he must be close to meet the one year of experience requirement hence he is going to apply for CEC end of next month.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
canadavisa13 said:
actonis,you are wrong.he can stay for the full period of his work permit this has been stated in this forum THOUSAND of times.if you are not an expert do not confuse people please.
the 90 days period is for people who's (work-study and visitor permits)expired already and they have not applied for an extension,cic gives them 90 days from the expiry date of their permits(as a grace period) to apply for a restoration of status.if the do not do so within 90 days they have to leave canada and apply from their home country.
as for CEC you are right(applicants need one year of full time skilled experience excluding the ineligible occupations defined by cic to apply)but i think the OP had another work permit before he got an extension in sept 2013 so he must be close to meet the one year of experience requirement hence he is going to apply for CEC end of next month.
First of all, I want to apologies If I meas-led someone, I am no expert as I stated... this is only my understanding.
Even if he lost the job and has closed work permit he can stay in Canada for the duration of the work permit?
This is not logical as he cannot work for different employer... The work permit is tied to the employer...
Maybe I am not informed well... I assume you know what you are talking... for the record I will be delighted if this is true, as I am coming as temp worker, and if this apply I wouldn't need to worry if I lot the job. Can you post a link for this?
Thanks

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
yes you can stay in canada until your work permit expires even if you lost your job but you are not allowed to work for a new employer before you get a new work permit.
this is given by cic to foreign workers as an opportunity to look for a new job and gain more canadian experience which may lead to permanent residence in the future.
but you are responsible for your self financially since you can't work,in some cases if you have enough hours and months you can apply for employment insurance.
i don't have the link but you can start reading here: www.cic.gc.ca for more informations.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Can my spouse work with her OWP while I am looking for new work or her permitted tightly is connected with mine?

cee12345

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC in Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May-12-2014 (Received in Ottawa on May-14-2014)
Doc's Request.
Sent PCC on Sep-4-2014 (without any request from CIC)
AOR Received.
June-25-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Dec-22-2014
Med's Done....
Dec-23-2014 (by Dr. Gabor Lantos - Uploaded via eMedical on Jan-13-2015. ECAS updated to Medical Received on Jan-16-2015)
Passport Req..
March 23, 2015 at 9:37PM (ECAS Status changed to Decision Made on March 24, 2015)
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2015
LANDED..........
May 10, 2015
actonis said:
Can my spouse work with her OWP while I am looking for new work or her permitted tightly is connected with mine?
Normally when your spouse receives her Open Work Permit (same validity as your Work Permit), she can work to any employer she wants until it is expired.