+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarificantion of immigration/citizenship status Question 13 on Citizenship Application

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am applying for citizenship at the end of this month and I have a question regarding question 13 which asks about immigration/citizenship status. I was brought to the US as a child under a visitor visa. This was on 2020. From then on I did not know my immigration status there until I was much older. I gained permanent residency on 2011/02 but it expired on 2013/02. From that 2013/02 I did not hold any status in the US so I put "foreign national." I was able to get a I-551 stamp which allowed me to work in the US but it last for 6 months 2014/01 - 2014/07. Then I put "foreign national" until I got another I-551 stamp. This kept happening until I moved to Canada and became a permanent resident. I also put "foreing national" for the period of after the I overstayed in the US until I got the permanent residency. This is the one question on the application process that is messing me up. Any help would be appreciated. Did I input everything correctly?

Also, certain parts of the application, eg. question 15 language evidence, needs to be filled out but the boxes are blank and do not allow me to write on them on the computer. Should I just hand write it after I put the completed file?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, you do not need to indicate your loss of status/"foreign national" in this question, as this only pertains to any permanent legal status you held.

I reckon your application will be non-routine based on your complicated US immigration history.

As for the question 15 issues, those are unusual. Something you did may have corrupted the file, so you can handwrite them or start filling out a new file.

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, you do not need to indicate your loss of status/"foreign national" in this question, as this only pertains to any permanent legal status you held.

I reckon your application will be non-routine based on your complicated US immigration history.

As for the question 15 issues, those are unusual. Something you did may have corrupted the file, so you can handwrite them or start filling out a new file.
Do you think I will be needing a lawyer to fill out the application application then? I did my permanent residency application by myself and everything went smoothly. When I applied for the permanent residence in Canada I ordered my gcms notes and in there it states the US permanent resident expiration date and shows that I was holding a I551 stamp.
I got the foreign national idea based on another member's posting where her husband over stayed in the US and when they submitted their citizenship application he didn't have any issue.

Money is tight at the moment so if I can submit things by myself without a lawyer it would be great. But if it a must bc of this question then I will have to figure something out.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I got the foreign national idea based on another member's posting where her husband over stayed in the US and when they submitted their citizenship application he didn't have any issue.
I see. That's totally up to you to leave it in then!
I was just going by the examples in the instruction guide, which were only: student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen

Money is tight at the moment so if I can submit things by myself without a lawyer it would be great. But if it a must bc of this question then I will have to figure something out.
Didn't mean to worry you there with my earlier comment, apologies if so, I'd just meant to say your application *might take longer than usual. You seem to have been honest and forthright so far about your immigration history to IRCC, and indeed, you've gotten PR without a hitch, which should've been the bigger hurdle.

Reactions: Fpm800

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
I see. That's totally up to you to leave it in then!
I was just going by the examples in the instruction guide, which were only: student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen

Didn't mean to worry you there with my earlier comment, apologies if so, I'd just meant to say your application *might take longer than usual. You seem to have been honest and forthright so far about your immigration history to IRCC, and indeed, you've gotten PR without a hitch, which should've been the bigger hurdle.
I try to be as honest as possible because there is no point in hiding anything because it will be found out one way or another. I understand that my application might take longer, hopefully not much longer than the 1 year it's currently taking lol, but on your opinion do you think I should get a lawye? Everyone always have told me that the permanent resident application in Canada is harder than the citizenship application. Is this true?

americandesimd

Aug 10, 2014
Hi There,

Do we even need to put the visitor information for this questions? The instruction sheet only specifies as (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).

I was on H1b in USA with the same employer for a couple of years. I got my I-797 updated twice. But I am putting "Date Obtained" as the day the first time I landed in USA and "End Date" as the date I landed in Canada from USA. Am I doing it right?

Instruction sheet details as below for quick reference:
Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)
  • Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Date you obtained each status(YYYY-MM-DD)
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status

Thanks

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Hi There,

Do we even need to put the visitor information for this questions? The instruction sheet only specifies as (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).

I was on H1b in USA with the same employer for a couple of years. I got my I-797 updated twice. But I am putting "Date Obtained" as the day the first time I landed in USA and "End Date" as the date I landed in Canada from USA. Am I doing it right?

Instruction sheet details as below for quick reference:
Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)
  • Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Date you obtained each status(YYYY-MM-DD)
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status

Thanks
I think we do need to put visitor information as that is one of the options on the drop down menu that is part of the question.

My rationale for including everything is that there are a lot of questions where they want specific dates and you can't have any missing periods otherwise your application gets returned.

Now the question is what happens for people such as me that have periods where one does not have a status while I am the US. If you go by what that one user responded in a previous post then you have to write down that period as well and put it under other. The fact that there an "other" option would make it seems that putting "foreign national" or something like it is a good idea if you have in between periods of no status. But I could be wrong lol.

Reactions: americandesimd

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Also, for question 11 which asks what have I been doing for the past 5 years from the date I sign the application (eligibility period), if I have the required 1095 days which allows me to apply but the 5 years period includes 2 years that I lived in the US prior to becoming a PR in Canada then should I include that period on the table?
So I landed in Canada March 2018 and that's when I got my PR in canada. March 2021 I become eligible to apply. 5 years back from the date I sign would date back to 2016 when I was in the US. Should I include that 2 years in the 5 years eligibility period?

americandesimd

Aug 10, 2014
Also, for question 11 which asks what have I been doing for the past 5 years from the date I sign the application (eligibility period), if I have the required 1095 days which allows me to apply but the 5 years period includes 2 years that I lived in the US prior to becoming a PR in Canada then should I include that period on the table?
So I landed in Canada March 2018 and that's when I got my PR in canada. March 2021 I become eligible to apply. 5 years back from the date I sign would date back to 2016 when I was in the US. Should I include that 2 years in the 5 years eligibility period?
Yes you need to include.
Check the question in pdf - it says inside or outside of Canada

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Yes you need to include.
Check the question in pdf - it says inside or outside of Canada
Thank you for the quick response. Asked to to get a clarification as my fiancé who is applying with me was questioning my understanding saying that it only means the period you are in Canada lol

Fpm800

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Fww I was brought to the US as a child in 2000 not 2020 as originally stated on the original post. It was a mistake.

summaiya_t

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
Hi people,
I also need help on Qs 13.
During 2013 to 2018 me and my family lived in Saudi Arabia. We had the Saudi Iqama or legal residence. My husband was on the work visa. While me and my kids were on the dependent visa. Do we need to mention this in Qs 13 of the citizenship application. If yes, what option should be selected in the status. There is option of Worker but no option of Dependent?
Or should we not mention Saudi Arabia and just state my Pakistan citizenship.

Any help from the seniors would be appreciated.

Momo2010

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017
Hi people,
During 2013 to 2018 me and my family lived in Saudi Arabia. We had the Saudi Iqama or legal residence. My husband was on the work visa. While me and my kids were on the dependent visa. Do we need to mention this in Qs 13 of the citizenship application. If yes, what option should be selected in the status. There is option of Worker but no option of Dependent?

What did you do? Did you find an answer . I have a similar situation.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi people,

You must mention all the statuses that are applicable to you. There is an option called 'Other' in the drop down and write 'Dependent Visa' on the 'Other' field.

Reactions: summaiya_t