+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming PR while inside Canada

Azo

Jun 20, 2017
Hello!

I should soon be able to claim my PR and I am currently within Canada. In reading http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22

I understood that I do not necessarily have to leave the country. Unfortunately, the web form link on the webpage is broken and I don't understand how this is potentially possible. Does anybody know more about this option?

Finally, if this does not work out I'd need to cross the Canadian border (i was thinking of using the one in White Rock, Vancouver) I wonder:

Do I actually have to enter the US (and thus make a visa/ETA)?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello!

I should soon be able to claim my PR and I am currently within Canada. In reading http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22

I understood that I do not necessarily have to leave the country. Unfortunately, the web form link on the webpage is broken and I don't understand how this is potentially possible. Does anybody know more about this option?

Finally, if this does not work out I'd need to cross the Canadian border (i was thinking of using the one in White Rock, Vancouver) I wonder:

Do I actually have to enter the US (and thus make a visa/ETA)?
The link and webform are working perfectly for me right now.

1. Inside Canada: You set an appointment at an IRCC office and you show up at your appointment with your COPR.

2. At the border: you do not need a US visa or ESTA--you will be "flagpoling" and be given an administrative refusal, but this will not be a negative in your visa history.
Yes, Canada advises that you need a valid visa to the US, but US officers are familiar with this process and will just refuse you entry and turn you back to Canada.

Azo

Jun 20, 2017
That is strange. The web form page looks like this for me.

I don't know where am I supposed to apply for a visit at this page.

Also, do you know if processing times for doing it directly through IRCC are lengthy?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12