+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming Foreign Work Experience

beemir

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
Guys,

Is the consensus that if you are unable to get any kind of reference letters from previous employers then DO NOT claim it in your EE profile?

If, for example, someone is getting maximum attainable points for foreign work experience with 3 years or more experience, then technically it is not required to try to claim anymore than that as the points awarded for foreign experience have reached the maximum level, right?

Basically I might be facing a challenge getting experience reference letters from previous employers, but I have been with my current employer for almost 5 years in the past 10. I understand the rest has to be put in personal history.

I used the CRS tool to see if it made a difference in foreign work experience points by choosing "6 years or more..." which is what I put in my EE profile, then reducing by 1 year at a time. The points don't change until you reach less than 3 years of foreign work experience. So I thought since I'm facing difficulty in obtaining the reference letters from the past, I came to the conclusion don't bother.

Or am I missing something here? Are there other factors that affect ITA because I am considering declining the current ITA I have and remove the previous employment experience so as not to claim points for them and hope to receive ITA again.

Please advise if you can.

Thanks in advance!

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,

Is the consensus that if you are unable to get any kind of reference letters from previous employers then DO NOT claim it in your EE profile?

If, for example, someone is getting maximum attainable points for foreign work experience with 3 years or more experience, then technically it is not required to try to claim anymore than that as the points awarded for foreign experience have reached the maximum level, right?

Basically I might be facing a challenge getting experience reference letters from previous employers, but I have been with my current employer for almost 5 years in the past 10. I understand the rest has to be put in personal history.

I used the CRS tool to see if it made a difference in foreign work experience points by choosing "6 years or more..." which is what I put in my EE profile, then reducing by 1 year at a time. The points don't change until you reach less than 3 years of foreign work experience. So I thought since I'm facing difficulty in obtaining the reference letters from the past, I came to the conclusion don't bother.

Or am I missing something here? Are there other factors that affect ITA because I am considering declining the current ITA I have and remove the previous employment experience so as not to claim points for them and hope to receive ITA again.

Thanks in advance!
You need not to decline ITA for this reason !

Feel free to remove the experience and move it to your personal history. Writing letter of explanation , just drop in few lines stating that you were not able to secure the Experience letter from a former employer hence you have removed. This is not going to affect your CRS score.

Just double check that you can still secure 67 marks without 6th year of experience.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

Look into my signatures and click FAQs to get more idea if you have more questions.

G luck.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,

Thanks in advance!
you can refer to farazs post - he has made valid points

beemir

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
You need not to decline ITA for this reason !

Feel free to remove the experience and move it to your personal history. Writing letter of explanation , just drop in few lines stating that you were not able to secure the Experience letter from a former employer hence you have removed. This is not going to affect your CRS score.

Just double check that you can still secure 67 marks without 6th year of experience.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

Look into my signatures and click FAQs to get more idea if you have more questions.

G luck.
Thanks for the clarification @farazafzal

I totally forgot to consider the FSW factors out of 100!! (which I believe is more essential than the CRS score itself)

I did some playing around and I do get well above 67 points even if I drop my experience down to 1 year. Although I would not need to, say I go with just my current employer that brings me to the 4-5 year range which is considered 13 points in the grand scheme of things. 6 or more would give 15. The thing I'm struggling with is not even the 6th year of experience...I was going all the way back for the full 10 years! I now realize I do not essentially have to claim that experience. I can just stop at 6 if I wanted to.

I am trying my best to secure the experience letters but if push comes to shove, I will just remove the remaining from my work experience and leave it in my personal history. Reason being my deadline is coming up at the end of August and I know it seems like a long time from now, but where I currently reside (Saudi Arabia) things move at a snail's pace! Plus technically I don't have the full month, I've got two weeks more or less and then I have to travel.

EDIT: The thing is, it's a scenario where, does one do the bare minimum (current work) or go the extra mile and provide the rest? To me it now seems as long as you're over 67, you're good to go. Would it matter HOW much more over 67 you are? Say 85 vs 92 for example?

Last edited:

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the clarification @farazafzal

I totally forgot to consider the FSW factors out of 100!! (which I believe is more essential than the CRS score itself)

I did some playing around and I do get well above 67 points even if I drop my experience down to 1 year. Although I would not need to, say I go with just my current employer that brings me to the 4-5 year range which is considered 13 points in the grand scheme of things. 6 or more would give 15. The thing I'm struggling with is not even the 6th year of experience...I was going all the way back for the full 10 years! I now realize I do not essentially have to claim that experience. I can just stop at 6 if I wanted to.

I am trying my best to secure the experience letters but if push comes to shove, I will just remove the remaining from my work experience and leave it in my personal history. Reason being my deadline is coming up at the end of August and I know it seems like a long time from now, but where I currently reside (Saudi Arabia) things move at a snail's pace! Plus technically I don't have the full month, I've got two weeks more or less and then I have to travel.

EDIT: The thing is, it's a scenario where, does one do the bare minimum (current work) or go the extra mile and provide the rest? To me it now seems as long as you're over 67, you're good to go. Would it matter HOW much more over 67 you are? Say 85 vs 92 for example?
Won't matter at all. As long as you are eligible with 67 score and CRS at the cut off, you will be processed like any other ! No priority or plus point whatsoever. Don't do unnecessary struggle to get more than 5 years experience letter, save your efforts, and file application without it ! You are all set ! G Luck

beemir

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
I've got a quick question. If an employer has shut down or no longer exists, would it be appropriate or inappropriate to obtain a reference letter on that company's letterhead by my ex-manager? The purpose of the letterhead would be to show what the address and company details were at that time. Or would I instead be required to have my ex-manager write the reference letter on a plain piece of paper and sign it. I'm not sure if he has a business card. The letterhead is as close as we can get. There literally is nothing else.

EDIT: There is something else, an experience letter with basic information during the time the company was up and running. Just indicates my position and start date and that's about it. I think I needed it for banking purposes or visa purposes at that time. Not quite sure but I was able to dig it up in my email.

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've got a quick question. If an employer has shut down or no longer exists, would it be appropriate or inappropriate to obtain a reference letter on that company's letterhead by my ex-manager? The purpose of the letterhead would be to show what the address and company details were at that time. Or would I instead be required to have my ex-manager write the reference letter on a plain piece of paper and sign it. I'm not sure if he has a business card. The letterhead is as close as we can get. There literally is nothing else.

EDIT: There is something else, an experience letter with basic information during the time the company was up and running. Just indicates my position and start date and that's about it. I think I needed it for banking purposes or visa purposes at that time. Not quite sure but I was able to dig it up in my email.
Well to me it does not look right to have it on letter head when it does not exist any more. I mean you will have it dated with current dates, on a letter head of a company which is not in function any more ! To me it looks more appropriate to have it on a plain paper with your manager signature and contact details.

I invite you to send this specific question to open forum so as to have more opinions, instead of following what I say !
G Luck

beemir

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
Yeah I had a feeling it wouldn't be right even considered as misrepresentation. Back dating is not ethical either. I'll stick to plain paper then.

I did ask in the other threads, that are more relevant, but nobody replied so figured might give it a go here too. Thanks again.

beemir

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
It seems my current HR is reluctant to provide the required format either. Sigh. HR has not responded with a reply to my email, but they are taking their sweet time. I know they will either reply verbally (which won't be documented) or they will respond in Arabic (as we are based in the Middle East), which again is a problem. Worse case scenario I will get that response translated.

I will now ask my boss to sign the experience letter. However, would it be acceptable to put it on company letterhead, or should that also be on plain paper? The only thing that won't be there is the company stamp. I can attach his business card, and my payslips too (how far back should one go regarding payslips).

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems my current HR is reluctant to provide the required format either. Sigh. HR has not responded with a reply to my email, but they are taking their sweet time. I know they will either reply verbally (which won't be documented) or they will respond in Arabic (as we are based in the Middle East), which again is a problem. Worse case scenario I will get that response translated.

I will now ask my boss to sign the experience letter. However, would it be acceptable to put it on company letterhead, or should that also be on plain paper? The only thing that won't be there is the company stamp. I can attach his business card, and my payslips too (how far back should one go regarding payslips).
Well Normally, HR will have a specific format. They can put your designation and the hiring date as well as salary. This is very normal practice that your Manager or Senior can exactly write your duties and responsibilities.
So on a company letter head get your Manager to write your duties and responsibilities and working hours per week (Ask him to write this) and in the end his credentials. Company stamp is not a requirement.
2 People from my old employer did the same and I too have done same. Manager writes while HR provide general information. Two letters together will do the job. Company seal is not mandatory at all.

G Luck

Reactions: beemir

beemir

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
If my ex-boss is writing me a reference letter with all the details on plain paper, when he signs and dates it, what should he write as his position and email address...the same ones at the time of employment (in the past) or his current position and email address (which are totally unrelated to the company I used to work for as he has moved on)?

beemir

Star Member
Apr 26, 2015
Well Normally, HR will have a specific format. They can put your designation and the hiring date as well as salary. This is very normal practice that your Manager or Senior can exactly write your duties and responsibilities.
So on a company letter head get your Manager to write your duties and responsibilities and working hours per week (Ask him to write this) and in the end his credentials. Company stamp is not a requirement.
2 People from my old employer did the same and I too have done same. Manager writes while HR provide general information. Two letters together will do the job. Company seal is not mandatory at all.

G Luck
Thanks for the heads up, I will go this route then for my current employer.