+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming bankruptcy after being ok,d To sponsor

jdstone1

Dec 23, 2008
Was just wondering if some one has been ok,d to sponsor. And then claims bankruptcy after the visa has been issued to the person sponsored b4 they arrive in canada what happens then?? Is there a responsability to tell this to the government is it red flagged or what?? Just a curious question.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
It would be wise to wait until the process is finalized before you file for bankruptcy. Just because the sponsorship was initially approved in Mississauga doesn't mean you're in the clear - the overseas visa office also assesses the eligibility of the sponsor before issuing the PR visa. So it would be best to wait until everything is done and your partner has landed.

kam1982

Feb 12, 2011
I have a similar question.
Can a sponsor fie for bankruptcy in Quebec, after the PR has been granted to my wife? What are the implications of that?
Will we run into problems when time comes for her to renew her PR?
For how long am responsible for her as a sponsor?

Any information is appreciated, given the scenario.
Thanks

medellinguy

Jul 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2010
Doc's Request.
Everything in order I guess
AOR Received.
07-04-2011
File Transfer...
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
07-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
maybe you should rethink of sponsoring someone if you need to file for bankruptcy? How are you going to support the other person?

Just think about it for a minute...

kam1982

Feb 12, 2011
please don't take this the wrong way. I am thinking about it, and hence gathering all the information I can.

any feedback to the questions I have?
thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
medellinguy said:
maybe you should rethink of sponsoring someone if you need to file for bankruptcy? How are you going to support the other person?

Just think about it for a minute...
This is the smarter way to look at it.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Baloo said:
This is the smarter way to look at it.
ditto. Cause if your wife has to go on welfare cause you can't take care of her, i believe you have to pay the government back.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HoneyBird said:
ditto. Cause if your wife has to go on welfare cause you can't take care of her, i believe you have to pay the government back.
Most certainly right on that; A sponsored person making a claim at any time during the sponsorship period (currently three years) will place the sponsor in default.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kam1982 said:
I have a similar question.
Can a sponsor fie for bankruptcy in Quebec, after the PR has been granted to my wife? What are the implications of that?
Will we run into problems when time comes for her to renew her PR?
For how long am responsible for her as a sponsor?

Any information is appreciated, given the scenario.
Thanks
1. This poster has already sponsored his spouse and PR has been granted. So that part is finished. There are NO implications and it will not pose a difficulty to renewing PR.
2. Depending on when you sponsored her and she was granted PR, you are responsible for her for either 3 or 10 years. Pre-2004 = 10 years.

kam1982

Feb 12, 2011
rjessome said:
1. This poster has already sponsored his spouse and PR has been granted. So that part is finished. There are NO implications and it will not pose a difficulty to renewing PR.
2. Depending on when you sponsored her and she was granted PR, you are responsible for her for either 3 or 10 years. Pre-2004 = 10 years.

From what i read, it will be 3 years. Now is this 3 years for both Canada immigration and Quebec?

Here are he detail of a scenario:

I am approved as a sponsor, and PR is granted. Living in Quebec.
Let's say she is employed without restrictions, and at this stage, i file for personal bankruptcy.
Will this will have any impact on her PR, renewal of PR after a few years,or other related issues with regards to immigration and my ability to fit as a sponsor? (Don't' forget, PR is granted in this scenario)
sorry, just wanna double check

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kam1982 said:
From what i read, it will be 3 years. Now is this 3 years for both Canada immigration and Quebec?

Here are he detail of a scenario:

I am approved as a sponsor, and PR is granted. Living in Quebec.
Let's say she is employed without restrictions, and at this stage, i file for personal bankruptcy.
Will this will have any impact on her PR, renewal of PR after a few years,or other related issues with regards to immigration and my ability to fit as a sponsor? (Don't' forget, PR is granted in this scenario)
sorry, just wanna double check
3 years total - doesn't matter that you reside in Quebec.

No issues with her renewing her PR. However, if you are thinking of sponsoring someone else (parents/grandparents) there is an issue.