+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming asylum in canada with student visa

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I know I can't have both but the guy above was saying he got his work permit and worked for a year then after getting enough amount of money to go to school, he applied for a study permit and got approved. So what I'm saying is if I get my work permit then work until school starts and when I know I saved good amount of money applying for study permit and losing the work permit status, couldn't I do that?
Yes, but you are saying you want to start studying in September 2021. You shouldn’t be working now as you are no longer a student. Once you apply for asylum then you apply for a work permit. It may be May or June. So you will not have enough money by Septembe.

Reactions: rbnmarquez

Sevnarrian

Jun 21, 2018
Couldn't I apply work permit with the asylum together and does it take that long to get a work permit? If it takes that long how does the government consider that I'm going to live with no income?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Couldn't I apply work permit with the asylum together and does it take that long to get a work permit? If it takes that long how does the government consider that I'm going to live with no income?
You have access to homeless shelters if you are in need. If you are working you have been working illegally since you stopped attending school and if the school reported you for not attending you also have no status so you need to make a move no matter what. Hopefully you didn't apply for CERB while not studying.

Sevnarrian

Jun 21, 2018
You have access to homeless shelters if you are in need. If you are working you have been working illegally since you stopped attending school and if the school reported you for not attending you also have no status so you need to make a move no matter what. Hopefully you didn't apply for CERB while not studying.
No it's not like that currently I am attending school since I already paid for this fall semester which ends in January 2021. But for winter semester from January2021- April 2021 I don't think I will be able to pay since my country is in a civil war and my parents are in danger ,which will eventually happen same thing to me if I go back to my home country. So my plan is to claim an assylum after I finished this semester in Mid december 2020 and then get work permit sooner hopefully and after I get my work permit to work until September 2021 and apply for study permit to continue my current education. So my main concern is
1- If I would get work permit fast so that I can save money for school
2- What happens to my current study permit which will expire in July 31, 2021
3- When should I apply for a study permit to continue my education in September 2021 while holding a work permit at that moment?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No it's not like that currently I am attending school since I already paid for this fall semester which ends in January 2021. But for winter semester from January2021- April 2021 I don't think I will be able to pay since my country is in a civil war and my parents are in danger ,which will eventually happen same thing to me if I go back to my home country. So my plan is to claim an assylum after I finished this semester in Mid december 2020 and then get work permit sooner hopefully and after I get my work permit to work until September 2021 and apply for study permit to continue my current education. So my main concern is
1- If I would get work permit fast so that I can save money for school
2- What happens to my current study permit which will expire in July 31, 2021
3- When should I apply for a study permit to continue my education in September 2021 while holding a work permit at that moment?
1. Once you apply for asylum. You will have the opportunity to apply for a work permit. There is no expedited or quick process. Everyone has to wait so Expect it to take 4-5 months so April or May 2021. If you aren’t going to school in January & apply for asylum, you can’t work for the winter months.
2. If you drop out in January, your school may send notification so your study permit may be cancelled before it expires. So then you need to reapply for a new one and show that you can afford the tuition.
3. Again if you want to go to school in September, you can’t do both due to processing times as study permits take months too. If you can’t afford school, working full time for four months isn’t going to get you near enough for tuition.

Sevnarrian

Jun 21, 2018
1. Once you apply for asylum. You will have the opportunity to apply for a work permit. There is no expedited or quick process. Everyone has to wait so Expect it to take 4-5 months so April or May 2021. If you aren’t going to school in January & apply for asylum, you can’t work for the winter months.
2. If you drop out in January, your school may send notification so your study permit may be cancelled before it expires. So then you need to reapply for a new one and show that you can afford the tuition.
3. Again if you want to go to school in September, you can’t do both due to processing times as study permits take months too. If you can’t afford school, working full time for four months isn’t going to get you near enough for tuition.
Ok let's say I get the work permit by April or May 2021 and what if I managed to get someone from here in Canada to help me pay for the tuition and if I want to apply for study permit in June 2021 to start class in September 2021 couldn't it be possible eventhough I am refugee claimant?

And the other One I forgot to add is if I apply for study permit after being a refugee climant am I going to extend the one I had which is going to expire in July 31,2020 by putting the UCI number or do I have to apply a whole new study permit?

And I really appreciate it how you engage in helping me out getting reasonable informations :)

Last edited:

JANET121

Jun 30, 2020
Canada Mother country for all have fear of life gender issues religious matter make canada new home as a refugee

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ok let's say I get the work permit by April or May 2021 and what if I managed to get someone from here in Canada to help me pay for the tuition and if I want to apply for study permit in June 2021 to start class in September 2021 couldn't it be possible eventhough I am refugee claimant?

And the other One I forgot to add is if I apply for study permit after being a refugee climant am I going to extend the one I had which is going to expire in July 31,2020 by putting the UCI number or do I have to apply a whole new study permit?

And I really appreciate it how you engage in helping me out getting reasonable informations :)
If you have a work permit, you apply for a new study permit so you have to show that you can pay for tuition plus proof of funds. EST 14 weeks for application.