+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming asylum in canada with student visa

YG2127

Sep 20, 2019
Yeah, I know people apply for study permit to just claim asylum here which is messed up- but mine is different. I clearly stated this on my application! And I'm afraid I am not international student ( considered as one of them because of the fact that i need a study permit and need to pay international fees) But rules aren't the same for me like international students. I can't stay here after graduation and aquire my PR through express entry, I can't leave Canada, I don't pay for Health/medical Insurance and other stuffs.. I suggest you give me detail info if you can!

I also have a friend from Turkey, him and his families come to Canada years before but never granted a PR, he is only 18 and he studied here (Hamilton) since middle school. He also had to apply for study permit but I don't think rules are the same. Thats what I'm outlining

And yes they know that Im a refugee claimant. Almost every scholarship is limited, ofcourse as you said- I had to show to them that I worth the fund, I've written to many essay's and Interviews, not only with Mount Allison but also with other universities. My social worker saw something in me so she were able to help and co-operate as well!! If you can travel extra miles for your needs nothing is impossible is what I am trying to say.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah, I know people apply for study permit to just claim asylum here which is messed up- but mine is different. I clearly stated this on my application! And I'm afraid I am not international student ( considered as one of them because of the fact that i need a study permit and need to pay international fees) But rules aren't the same for me like international students. I can't stay here after graduation and aquire my PR through express entry, I can't leave Canada, I don't pay for Health/medical Insurance and other stuffs.. I suggest you give me detail info if you can!

I also have a friend from Turkey, him and his families come to Canada years before but never granted a PR, he is only 18 and he studied here (Hamilton) since middle school. He also had to apply for study permit but I don't think rules are the same. Thats what I'm outlining

And yes they know that Im a refugee claimant. Almost every scholarship is limited, ofcourse as you said- I had to show to them that I worth the fund, I've written to many essay's and Interviews, not only with Mount Allison but also with other universities. My social worker saw something in me so she were able to help and co-operate as well!! If you can travel extra miles for your needs nothing is impossible is what I am trying to say.
After claiming asylum did you study without a study permit? You are still considered an international student even if there are differences between you and international students. You are not a domestic student. If you were a domestic student you wouldn’t need a study permit. As an asylum claimant you are in a grey zone.

Reactions: Buletruck

Waelsayed

Feb 6, 2020
When you apply for refugee then your current study permit will not be valid anymore. When you filing your case you will have the option to take a study permit as well with that you can study in Canada.

YG2127

Sep 20, 2019
After claiming asylum did you study without a study permit? You are still considered an international student even if there are differences between you and international students. You are not a domestic student. If you were a domestic student you wouldn’t need a study permit. As an asylum claimant you are in a grey zone.
It was clear at the top,after claming asylum-it was already fall so i had to wait a year and try sorting my finances. Then after i secure my funds I applied for my study permit. got it yesterday!

YG2127

Sep 20, 2019
When you apply for refugee then your current study permit will not be valid anymore. When you filing your case you will have the option to take a study permit as well with that you can study in Canada.
You certainly didnt read the whole quote, did you?

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It was clear at the top,after claming asylum-it was already fall so i had to wait a year and try sorting my finances. Then after i secure my funds I applied for my study permit. got it yesterday!
You said you "went" to Mount A which is why everyone is confused. Mount A is considered one of the best schools that provide primarily undergraduate education versus schools that provide more advanced and professional degrees. Too late now but for CS somewhere like Waterloo or U of T is better known for CS program.

YG2127

Sep 20, 2019
Waterloo was my first choise, and I was accepted, but I had to pay alot of fees, scholarship was very limited for Canadian Students no matter how hard i tried. So I had to move on. Had i gotten the funds, I would choose Waterloo. Its even better than U of T in computer science, i believe

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Waterloo was my first choise, and I was accepted, but I had to pay alot of fees, scholarship was very limited for Canadian Students no matter how hard i tried. So I had to move on. Had i gotten the funds, I would choose Waterloo. Its even better than U of T in computer science, i believe
You aren’t considered a Canadian student.

Sevnarrian

Jun 21, 2018
Okay so my case is same as yours but a little different. Currently I am a Second year international student in a collage located in Edmonton. My study permit expires in July 31, 2021. Right now I have to drop from my program for a semester because there is a civil war happening in my country and I couldn't get any fund from my parents. And If I go back I would also be in danger since I couldn't contact with my families . I feel like I have to make an assylum claim here but the thing that I'm concerned is if I would be able to continue my study in the fall of 2021 being an assylum seeker? And I would really appreciate it if you recommend me the steps that I should take to continue my studies being an assylum seeker.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Okay so my case is same as yours but a little different. Currently I am a Second year international student in a collage located in Edmonton. My study permit expires in July 31, 2021. Right now I have to drop from my program for a semester because there is a civil war happening in my country and I couldn't get any fund from my parents. And If I go back I would also be in danger since I couldn't contact with my families . I feel like I have to make an assylum claim here but the thing that I'm concerned is if I would be able to continue my study in the fall of 2021 being an assylum seeker? And I would really appreciate it if you recommend me the steps that I should take to continue my studies being an assylum seeker.
If you claim asylum, you still need a study permit and have to pay international tuition. So you can claim and then extend your study permit while your claim is in process.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/refugees-protected-persons.html

Sevnarrian

Jun 21, 2018
If you claim asylum, you still need a study permit and have to pay international tuition. So you can claim and then extend your study permit while your claim is in process.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/refugees-protected-persons.html
What I was thinking is working until the coming fall, and my current study permit expires in July 31,2021. So After I get my work permit do I have to extend my study permit 3 month prior to the current expiry date or would I be able to extend even if my current study permit expires?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What I was thinking is working until the coming fall, and my current study permit expires in July 31,2021. So After I get my work permit do I have to extend my study permit 3 month prior to the current expiry date or would I be able to extend even if my current study permit expires?
When are you planning on claiming asylum? You can‘t do both. You either apply for a work permit or study permit. You need to read through everything on claiming asylum. Once you claim, you aren’t eligible for immigration programs so you need to be sure that you have all the documentation that your life is in danger. And you are confident, your claim will be approved because the process is long. It may be years.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/work-study.html

Sevnarrian

Jun 21, 2018
When are you planning on claiming asylum? You can‘t do both. You either apply for a work permit or study permit. You need to read through everything on claiming asylum. Once you claim, you aren’t eligible for immigration programs so you need to be sure that you have all the documentation that your life is in danger. And you are confident, your claim will be approved because the process is long. It may be years.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/claim-protection-inside-canada/work-study.html
I am planning to claim in a month or so. But what I was referring to is if I can work with a work permit until 2021 September and switch to study permit after September 2021 to continue my studies in college.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am planning to claim in a month or so. But what I was referring to is if I can work with a work permit until 2021 September and switch to study permit after September 2021 to continue my studies in college.
When you claim, you can’t work until the work permit is processed which is around 4-5 months. So if you claim in a month, you may not get a work permit until May. So you shouldn’t be working now or until the work permit is processed. Becaus you have dropped out, you have no status as the school may have informed IIRC and your study permit is canceled. So you shouldn’t be working at all. You need to decide do you want to study or work, you can’t do both. Also you still need to pay international fees.

Last edited:

Sevnarrian

Jun 21, 2018
When you claim, you can’t work until the work permit is processed which is around 4-5 months. So if you claim in a month, you may not get a work permit until May. So you shouldn’t be working now or until the work permit is processed. Becaus you have dropped out, you have no status as the school may have informed IIRC and your study permit is canceled. So you shouldn’t be working at all. You need to decide do you want to study or work, you can’t do both. Also you still need to pay international fees.
I know I can't have both but the guy above was saying he got his work permit and worked for a year then after getting enough amount of money to go to school, he applied for a study permit and got approved. So what I'm saying is if I get my work permit then work until school starts and when I know I saved good amount of money applying for study permit and losing the work permit status, couldn't I do that?

Last edited: