+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Civil union advice

vixengrrr

Jun 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a Canadian citizen, getting married in Serbia next summer. What is generally needed for a civil union? Documents..ect. ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you are getting married in Serbia, you need to fulfil their conditions. I assume your spouse to be is in Serbia and that is why you are getting married there? If it is so, have your spouse look for requirements of paperwork needed. If not, try asking the Serbian embassy at http://www.serbianembassy.ca/

vixengrrr

Jun 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks,Yes, he is currently in Serbia and it is fact why we are getting married there.

Also, i have contacted the closest Serbian embassy and I'm awaiting a response about the ''Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad'' if its required or not.

glak1234

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vixengrrr said:
Thanks,Yes, he is currently in Serbia and it is fact why we are getting married there.

Also, i have contacted the closest Serbian embassy and I'm awaiting a response about the ''Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad'' if its required or not.
The statement I think is definitely required, we had to get it and we just got married in January.. it basically states you are not in any marriage or binding and are free to marry pretty much, from what I understood.. and you have to sign it infront of the consulate (I think that was his title).. I had to pay about 35 euros

What city are you getting married in? I think its the same for all Serbian cities. All we needed was that Statement In-Lieu, our birth certificates, his national ID card, and my passport.. I can't remember if there was a fee.. Your boyfriend should just drop by the city hall and ask them what documents are needed..

vixengrrr

Jun 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glak1234 said:
The statement I think is definitely required, we had to get it and we just got married in January.. it basically states you are not in any marriage or binding and are free to marry pretty much, from what I understood.. and you have to sign it infront of the consulate (I think that was his title).. I had to pay about 35 euros

What city are you getting married in? I think its the same for all Serbian cities. All we needed was that Statement In-Lieu, our birth certificates, his national ID card, and my passport.. I can't remember if there was a fee.. Your boyfriend should just drop by the city hall and ask them what documents are needed..
Thank you!!!!

We are getting married in Novi Sad. He is gonna get informed for all the documents needed, I'm just ready to get this all together so I'm worried free. You said something about signing it in front of the consulate? You mean we both sign it or I have to sign it here in Canada? Kinda confused lol thanks so much, youve been a big help!

glak1234

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna, Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vixengrrr said:
Thank you!!!!

We are getting married in Novi Sad. He is gonna get informed for all the documents needed, I'm just ready to get this all together so I'm worried free. You said something about signing it in front of the consulate? You mean we both sign it or I have to sign it here in Canada? Kinda confused lol thanks so much, youve been a big help!

No it was just me that had to sign it in front of him, my husband waited for me in the car it didnt take long.. To get all the information I called the Canadian embassy in Belgrade and talked to them in English asking them what we needed, they can tell you that way too.. After you get the Statement you and your husband will have to go to the Ministry of foreign affairds to submit that paper and for your husband to sign something, honestly I cannot remember what it was that we did, but we did call them and they told us to do all of that, so just give them a shout.

No problem, here to help :) feel free to ask

Serdj977

Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sep 2010
Doc's Request.
14 Dec 2010
AOR Received.
10 Nov 2010
File Transfer...
4 Nov 2010
Med's Request
6 Dec 2011
Med's Done....
1 Sep 2010 ; redo 20 Dec 2011
Interview........
20 Sep 2011
Passport Req..
2 Mar 2012
VISA ISSUED...
20 Mar 2012
LANDED..........
13 Apr 2012
When you get married you'll get Serbian marriage certificate. International marriage certificate is better option as you don't have to translate it. It can be obtained anytime in the city hall. It cost less than certified translation of Serbian marriage certificate and saves time. Maybe it is possible to get International certificate right away after the ceremony. You can ask about it at city hall when you go to schedule date for your wedding.

vixengrrr

Jun 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glak1234 said:
No it was just me that had to sign it in front of him, my husband waited for me in the car it didnt take long.. To get all the information I called the Canadian embassy in Belgrade and talked to them in English asking them what we needed, they can tell you that way too.. After you get the Statement you and your husband will have to go to the Ministry of foreign affairds to submit that paper and for your husband to sign something, honestly I cannot remember what it was that we did, but we did call them and they told us to do all of that, so just give them a shout.

No problem, here to help :) feel free to ask
I read about the possibility of getting the said statement before going to Serbia, I will do that.
My boyfriend says in Serbia official documents ( such as a birth certificate ) the deliverance date must be prior 6 months, if so does this apply to Canadians? I got mine done years ago, is that okay?

When you get married you'll get Serbian marriage certificate. International marriage certificate is better option as you don't have to translate it. It can be obtained anytime in the city hall. It cost less than certified translation of Serbian marriage certificate and saves time. Maybe it is possible to get International certificate right away after the ceremony. You can ask about it at city hall when you go to schedule date for your wedding.
Thank you, i will look into it!

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Hi vixengrrr,
I am Canadian and my bf is Serbian and we are planning on getting married in Novi Sad as well in October. He is busy calling the Canadian Embassy in Belgrade etc to find everything out. Our problem is that I am currently living/working in London (in order to be closer for visits) and we were asking about the Certificate that was needed. They just emailed him the document, which I need to fill in and then have translated and certified. That's all.