+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship timeline-Saskatoon, SK

sgimmy

Jun 12, 2014
SK_NKR said:
@ gst8486

If the CIC clerk I spoke to is reliable (which I hope he is!!), and if you factor in that CIC uses the new 1 step process from August 2014 and increase in processing fees this Janaury, then absolutely yes. But we will only get to know if this is true when we see positive case movement for Saskatoon applicants from August 2014 onwards and they get their test within 12 months.
does it mean those applied before aug 2014 would have to go through the citizenship judge process(if issued an rq) or all files from aug.2014 onwards would be finished in 1 single step.

SK_NKR

Dec 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sgimmy said:
does it mean those applied before aug 2014 would have to go through the citizenship judge process(if issued an rq) or all files from aug.2014 onwards would be finished in 1 single step.
In my opinion they need to reduce the backlog and process the new application faster, therefore having adopted the new process, there are no citizenship judges for approval of applicants as in the past but I am not 100% sure.

I hope some seniors like @eileenf, @dpenbill or others can comment on this.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SK_NKR said:
There was a Citizenship Oath Ceremony at Francis Morrison Library in Saskatoon today and as I was in vicinity, I decided to go and see for myself how many Saskatonians were becoming citizens today (to get a feeling of what is the processing number of applicants)

Also in one of the past posts, somebody had suggested that one should visit the oath ceremony and ask the CIC staff about the delays on processing times for Saskatoon, so I thought I will do that as well.

There were 45 Saskatonians who became citizens today. I asked couple of applicants when they had submitted their applications and when they gave test, and found that most of them had applied between 2011 and 2013 and most of them had done their test in November 2014. As mentioned in one of the earlier post on this forum, 5 oath ceremonies from 12th January to 16th January have been scheduled for Saskatoon, and if each ceremony had 45 people taking oath, this would mean 220 Saskatonians would become citizens.

I managed to speak to a CIC clerk who was assisting Judge Terrence O'Malley
for the oath ceremony, and he mentioned that in 2014, they have tripled the amount of applications who have been finalized (these are the applicants from 2011 to 2013).

He also mentioned that they are hoping that with implementation of 1 step process, the processing time will be shortened to 12 months from start to finish for 2015/2016.

This sounds promising knowing that Saskatoon has a rough population of 250,000 this means that the number of citizen applications would be also be proportional, and the new applicants from August 2014 would have their case finalized within 12 months (Also for applicants prior to August 2014 may get their cases finalized sooner as they are trying to clear up the backlog as indicated in the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/about_us/mandate/citizenship.asp.

Going by the following previous posts below from @ simkr and @ redstone :

This would mean that those who will be taking test in January should get their oaths by March/April which resonates with what the CIC clerk said to me and I think it is promising (Though not as fast as GTA where the whole process for many is completed in 6 to 8 months!!).

Below are the photos of the Oath ceremony in Saskatoon today.

SK_NKR - This is probably one of the best posts in this forum. Well done and you actually took the courage to go to the ceremony, speak with applicants and the clerk. Good on you. This is very helpful indeed.

May I ask when you applied? The range that you provided for the people who became citizens yesterday was very wide - 2011 - 2013? I thought it would have been little narrow window...

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hurray Hurray! I got the letter to write the test on Feb 12.... One step closer. Applied in October 2013.

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
sept15 said:
Hurray Hurray! I got the letter to write the test on Feb 12.... One step closer. Applied in October 2013.
Awesome...........it's nice to see that things are moving forward for 2013 applicants

suresure

Nov 29, 2013
sept15 said:
Me too!

Where is the address you are taking the test?

Good luck!

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Simkr said:
seems we ll be in the same oath ceremony.
hopefully... but looks like they are scheduling many oaths now... like there were about 5 in January... yes, around same time maynot be the same one.... april 2015?

Simkr

Jul 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
could be in feb or march considering how they are speeding up.

sept15 said:
hopefully... but looks like they are scheduling many oaths now... like there were about 5 in January... yes, around same time maynot be the same one.... april 2015?

SK_NKR

Dec 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@redstone,

Thank you for +1 :D

@suresure,
Congratulations on your test invite, wish you the best :)

@sept15
Thank you for the compliment and Congratulation on your test invite, wish you the best :)

As for the dates of the applicants (2011 - 2013), these were the actual time frame some of the oath takers gave me when I asked them. This is also very much in line with what I have been reading on this forum for western Canada for applicants with RQ's. As we all know RQ's make our application non-routine and therefore depends on the CIC officer speed and case load for the application to move on.

From the forums it is also evident that for most routine applicants (prior to August 2014) from western Canada, 24 months was a norm for start to end of application. @simkr 21 months, @suresure (ithink 16+ months) and you 17months from application to test invite.

Yourself, @suresure and @simkr are all 2013 applicants and from the test invites to you both it looks like Saskatoon is organizing tests in January and February and hopefully more every month in 2015, which indicates that what the clerk mentioned seems to be true. Saskatoon is showing faster processing of applicants in 2015.

My family (wife and 2 minor children) applied in August 2104 and their application is in Process since 6th November but has been referred to PSU for final review (which translates into parentage establishment), and after speaking with a very helpful CIC call center agent, I understood is a norm for minor children con-current citizenship application or proof of citizenship (@iheartca, @saria1, @Zorba5 @ anhnguyen have all minor children citizenship application aand have been referred to PSU, and some of them have already received the citizenship while others are stuck at PSU. note all of them are applicants from prior to august 2014) . I applied in December 2014 due to a pending court case in Provincial court which got resolved in my favour in december 2014.

I have as yet not received AOR,

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SK_NKR said:
@ redstone,

Thank you for +1 :D

@ suresure,
Congratulations on your test invite, wish you the best :)

@ sept15
Thank you for the compliment and Congratulation on your test invite, wish you the best :)

As for the dates of the applicants (2011 - 2013), these were the actual time frame some of the oath takers gave me when I asked them. This is also very much in line with what I have been reading on this forum for western Canada for applicants with RQ's. As we all know RQ's make our application non-routine and therefore depends on the CIC officer speed and case load for the application to move on.

From the forums it is also evident that for most routine applicants (prior to August 2014) from western Canada, 24 months was a norm for start to end of application. @ simkr 21 months, @ suresure (ithink 16+ months) and you 17months from application to test invite.

Yourself, @ suresure and @ simkr are all 2013 applicants and from the test invites to you both it looks like Saskatoon is organizing tests in January and February and hopefully more every month in 2015, which indicates that what the clerk mentioned seems to be true. Saskatoon is showing faster processing of applicants in 2015.

My family (wife and 2 minor children) applied in August 2104 and their application is in Process since 6th November but has been referred to PSU for final review (which translates into parentage establishment), and after speaking with a very helpful CIC call center agent, I understood is a norm for minor children con-current citizenship application or proof of citizenship ( @ iheartca, @ saria1, @ Zorba5 @ anhnguyen have all minor children citizenship application aand have been referred to PSU, and some of them have already received the citizenship while others are stuck at PSU. note all of them are applicants from prior to august 2014) . I applied in December 2014 due to a pending court case in Provincial court which got resolved in my favour in december 2014.

I have as yet not received AOR,
Good luck SK_NKR. Good writing skills by the way.