+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship oath - outside Canada

eccv

Star Member
Sep 9, 2023
You should have attended the meeting and explained your situation as you have not heard the response from your webform. Not sure why that's taking a chance -- not attending when they are expecting you to show up was a bad decision.

I suggest submitting a webform again to explain the situation. In the worst case, you just need to start the process again.

tushya

Oct 27, 2016
Hi, do you get any updates yet?

Dear all
I have got invitation for video ceremony for oath. But I am outside Canada, therefore I already replied back on the same email which I got invitation from . i requested them to allow me take oath outside as I am getting some medical treatment in my home country.I also provided the documents required. After submitting the request I got automated reply, explaining various situations. It also mentions that one if outside Canada can take oath( i will attach email portion below). I am still waiting further response from them if I still need to join the video ceremony coming up or I have to skip it and wait for further instructions.my video ceremony is in 5 days . If anyone can please shed some light because I think even for video ceremony one has to be in Canada..what if ircc doesn't reach me before ceremony.i am puzzled.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to identify yourself. In order to process your request without further delay, you need to provide the following information: Name, Application Number and/or Client ID Number (UCI). Without these details, your request will not be actioned.

Completed Oath Forms

If you are submitting your signed oath form, this is confirmation of receipt.

Additional Documents

If you are submitting documents or additional information to our office, we will not confirm receipt of these documents unless further follow-up is required.

Missed Ceremony

If you are requesting a re-schedule of a missed ceremony, you need to provide an explanation for why you missed your ceremony. Your request will be put in queue for an officer to review and approve or deny your request.

TRAVELLING OR OUTSIDE CANADA

If you have advised us that you will be TRAVELLING or are OUTSIDE CANADA You MAY take the Oath OUTSIDE CANADA. However, Please note your MUST Destroy your PR card. Apply for CANADIAN passport in order for you return back to CANADA. Therefore, the oath ceremony can be CANCELLED for YOU. If you choose to not to proceed with the Ceremony.

Please advise us of your return date. Please note, we can only POSTPONE the ceremony up to a maximum of 6 MONTHS. THIS IS ONLY FOR MISSING THE FIRST CEREMONY.

IMPORTANT: Once you are back in Canada, please contact us and PROVIDE PROOF of your return, such as the boarding passes. Once we receive the proof that you are back in Canada, we will re-schedule your oath ceremony.

A decision/response to your request will be added to your file. Should you require additional information, contact IRCC’s Client Support Centre for further information.

Joshi85

Apr 14, 2015
So any updates? Almost 2 months, right?
Yes while I missed my 1st ceremony because being outside Canada but people here in forum suggested That i should have attended.So I had 2nd invitation while still being outside because what i heard after you missed 1st ceremony,they ask you to tell them when you are back and send them boarding pass. In my case my 2nd invitation came after 2 months,and I emailed right away about me still being outside. But this time I attended the ceremony and told them I am outside and they said I can't take the oath. They told me to inform them once I am back...so in nutshell,In my case they didn't allow oath taking from outside

Reactions: satara9354

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Yes while I missed my 1st ceremony because being outside Canada but people here in forum suggested That i should have attended.So I had 2nd invitation while still being outside because what i heard after you missed 1st ceremony,they ask you to tell them when you are back and send them boarding pass. In my case my 2nd invitation came after 2 months,and I emailed right away about me still being outside. But this time I attended the ceremony and told them I am outside and they said I can't take the oath. They told me to inform them once I am back...so in nutshell,In my case they didn't allow oath taking from outside
Yes exact same thing for me. I pressed and asked why were some people allowed. And he said they had allowed it for 3-4 months but then stopped because of a legal challenge. Those people who were able to do it over summer were very lucky...

Reactions: satara9354

sams19

Feb 11, 2020
Hey guys, i just want to update, We as a family took oath outside Canada, due to medical conditions. Initially Oath ceremony scheduled on Nov 27, 2023. I sent an email to them that I am outside Canada due to medical treatment with medical documents and doctor's referral letter. Then we attended the Oath ceremony on Nov 27th, Clerk told me that we have received your request to take outside Canada. However didn't get approval from register. So Clerk asked us to leave the ceremony. Asked us to wait for an approval email. I waited for 2 months, Last week I got an approval letter and we took oath outside Canada. Hope it helps for others.

Reactions: YVR123

Donna01988

Jul 9, 2018
Hey guys, i just want to update, We as a family took oath outside Canada, due to medical conditions. Initially Oath ceremony scheduled on Nov 27, 2023. I sent an email to them that I am outside Canada due to medical treatment with medical documents and doctor's referral letter. Then we attended the Oath ceremony on Nov 27th, Clerk told me that we have received your request to take outside Canada. However didn't get approval from register. So Clerk asked us to leave the ceremony. Asked us to wait for an approval email. I waited for 2 months, Last week I got an approval letter and we took oath outside Canada. Hope it helps for others.
Hey, how did you apply for the Canadian Passport after the ceremony? How does the process work?
I am in the same boat and waiting for approval because of medical issues with my dad.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
Sorry to bother you but wondering what happened after you missed the second notice for oath? Was it the final notice?

Joshi85

Apr 14, 2015
This is really great news .. actually I had also requested them on to take oath outside Canada on medical grounds.My first invitation was 10th August 2023, so I had sent them doctors letter and other documents but i never got a mail back regarding my request until 10 January 2024 . Still this day I am outside and my date of return is 9 th April 2024 . Meanwhile i got my second invitation on October last year ,which I attended just to see if the clerk would allow but as your situation ,she refused.I also got my third invite on 5 th March 2024 , which also I will have to skip as still being outside. Presently I am waiting for the 2 month to complete to see if they will approve my request or not .It will be great help if you can elaborate how taking oath outside Canada work , do you take using video or you have to travel to the Canadian high commission in your country. Than how do you apply for passport. And if there are any legal visa issue if you are from a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship like India where I am from because taking oath will make you a foreign national in your country without a visa

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is really great news .. actually I had also requested them on to take oath outside Canada on medical grounds.My first invitation was 10th August 2023, so I had sent them doctors letter and other documents but i never got a mail back regarding my request until 10 January 2024 . Still this day I am outside and my date of return is 9 th April 2024 . Meanwhile i got my second invitation on October last year ,which I attended just to see if the clerk would allow but as your situation ,she refused.I also got my third invite on 5 th March 2024 , which also I will have to skip as still being outside. Presently I am waiting for the 2 month to complete to see if they will approve my request or not .It will be great help if you can elaborate how taking oath outside Canada work , do you take using video or you have to travel to the Canadian high commission in your country. Than how do you apply for passport. And if there are any legal visa issue if you are from a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship like India where I am from because taking oath will make you a foreign national in your country without a visa
You will still need very specific circumstances to get approved. For example you have cancer, you are in the midst of treatment, you have been too sick to travel since August 2023 and have a doctor’s note describing current treatment and why you are unable to travel, you are too sick to work, etc. Only a few people will be approved to take the oath outside of Canada. Would not assume all will be able to take the citizenship oath from abroad with a doctor’s note. You will need prove that you are too sick to leave your home and lead a normal life so traveling will be inpossible.