+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship oath - outside Canada

Joshi85

Apr 14, 2015
Dear all
I have got invitation for video ceremony for oath. But I am outside Canada, therefore I already replied back on the same email which I got invitation from . i requested them to allow me take oath outside as I am getting some medical treatment in my home country.I also provided the documents required. After submitting the request I got automated reply, explaining various situations. It also mentions that one if outside Canada can take oath( i will attach email portion below). I am still waiting further response from them if I still need to join the video ceremony coming up or I have to skip it and wait for further instructions.my video ceremony is in 5 days . If anyone can please shed some light because I think even for video ceremony one has to be in Canada..what if ircc doesn't reach me before ceremony.i am puzzled.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to identify yourself. In order to process your request without further delay, you need to provide the following information: Name, Application Number and/or Client ID Number (UCI). Without these details, your request will not be actioned.

Completed Oath Forms

If you are submitting your signed oath form, this is confirmation of receipt.

Additional Documents

If you are submitting documents or additional information to our office, we will not confirm receipt of these documents unless further follow-up is required.

Missed Ceremony

If you are requesting a re-schedule of a missed ceremony, you need to provide an explanation for why you missed your ceremony. Your request will be put in queue for an officer to review and approve or deny your request.

TRAVELLING OR OUTSIDE CANADA

If you have advised us that you will be TRAVELLING or are OUTSIDE CANADA You MAY take the Oath OUTSIDE CANADA. However, Please note your MUST Destroy your PR card. Apply for CANADIAN passport in order for you return back to CANADA. Therefore, the oath ceremony can be CANCELLED for YOU. If you choose to not to proceed with the Ceremony.

Please advise us of your return date. Please note, we can only POSTPONE the ceremony up to a maximum of 6 MONTHS. THIS IS ONLY FOR MISSING THE FIRST CEREMONY.

IMPORTANT: Once you are back in Canada, please contact us and PROVIDE PROOF of your return, such as the boarding passes. Once we receive the proof that you are back in Canada, we will re-schedule your oath ceremony.

A decision/response to your request will be added to your file. Should you require additional information, contact IRCC’s Client Support Centre for further information.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all
I have got invitation for video ceremony for oath. But I am outside Canada, therefore I already replied back on the same email which I got invitation from . i requested them to allow me take oath outside as I am getting some medical treatment in my home country.I also provided the documents required. After submitting the request I got automated reply, explaining various situations. It also mentions that one if outside Canada can take oath( i will attach email portion below). I am still waiting further response from them if I still need to join the video ceremony coming up or I have to skip it and wait for further instructions.my video ceremony is in 5 days . If anyone can please shed some light because I think even for video ceremony one has to be in Canada..what if ircc doesn't reach me before ceremony.i am puzzled.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to identify yourself. In order to process your request without further delay, you need to provide the following information: Name, Application Number and/or Client ID Number (UCI). Without these details, your request will not be actioned.

Completed Oath Forms

Additional Documents

If you are submitting documents or additional information to our office, we will not confirm receipt of these documents unless further follow-up is required.

Missed Ceremony

If you are requesting a re-schedule of a missed ceremony, you need to provide an explanation for why you missed your ceremony. Your request will be put in queue for an officer to review and approve or deny your request.

If you have advised us that you will be TRAVELLING or are OUTSIDE CANADA You MAY take the Oath OUTSIDE CANADA. However, Please note your MUST Destroy your PR card. Apply for CANADIAN passport in order for you return back to CANADA. Therefore, the oath ceremony can be CANCELLED for YOU. If you choose to not to proceed with the Ceremony.

Please advise us of your return date. Please note, we can only POSTPONE the ceremony up to a maximum of 6 MONTHS. THIS IS ONLY FOR MISSING THE FIRST CEREMONY.

IMPORTANT: Once you are back in Canada, please contact us and PROVIDE PROOF of your return, such as the boarding passes. Once we receive the proof that you are back in Canada, we will re-schedule your oath ceremony.

A decision/response to your request will be added to your file. Should you require additional information, contact IRCC’s Client Support Centre for further information.
Post to the Citizenship section.

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Dear all

Completed Oath Forms

Additional Documents

Missed Ceremony

can you please update us of what happened?

Joshi85

Apr 14, 2015
can you please update us of what happened?
Yeah i didn't attend the video ceremony as the mail mentioned you have to be in Canada to attend the ceremony.. I am still waiting reply from them for my situation..i don't have much hope though.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Dear all

Completed Oath Forms

Additional Documents

Missed Ceremony

I think this was a big mistake for you to miss the video ceremony and not push for a response. It clearly said, “You MAY take the Oath OUTSIDE CANADA.” Should have just informed them and gone ahead with it…

Reactions: kslojewska

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think this was a big mistake for you to miss the video ceremony and not push for a response. It clearly said, “You MAY take the Oath OUTSIDE CANADA.” Should have just informed them and gone ahead with it…
It says May so no guarantees and then there is a contradictory statement that essentially says you need to be in Canada.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
If you all miss your oath, then it wasn't really that important to become Canadian after all. Now deal with the consequences.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
If you all miss your oath, then it wasn't really that important to become Canadian after all. Now deal with the consequences.
It’s mind boggling - people just think they can just not attend the oath ceremony. Even in urgent circumstances or if you’re abroad, you can at least show up to the ceremony and explain your situation. That’s better than just not showing up.

Imagien not showing up to jury duty or to a court subpoena. Shows that most are not ready to become Canadian citizens at all…

Joshi85

Apr 14, 2015
As per their instructions on website, one has to send email or inform using web form about our absence. Yes the invite said you can take oath outside but it also said, you have to be in Canada to attend this zoom meeting so it was self contradictory.Therefore I thought joining meeting might create confusions for them as i have already informed them via e-mail. But I totally understand your point to attend the meeting but it would be more likely taking a chance... I did not have many reference people have done it so i decided to skip

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It’s mind boggling - people just think they can just not attend the oath ceremony. Even in urgent circumstances or if you’re abroad, you can at least show up to the ceremony and explain your situation. That’s better than just not showing up.

Imagien not showing up to jury duty or to a court subpoena. Shows that most are not ready to become Canadian citizens at all…
You should really contact in advance and ask whether it will be possible to attend the ceremony abroad and take the oath. Believe that it is still not guaranteed. people should cancel if not attending to allow someone else to attend.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
As per their instructions on website, one has to send email or inform using web form about our absence. Yes the invite said you can take oath outside but it also said, you have to be in Canada to attend this zoom meeting so it was self contradictory.Therefore I thought joining meeting might create confusions for them as i have already informed them via e-mail. But I totally understand your point to attend the meeting but it would be more likely taking a chance... I did not have many reference people have done it so i decided to skip
So any updates? Almost 2 months, right?