+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Interview

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Can anyone please suggest what reasons you put forward to request an online interview from in-person.
I got an in-person interview scheduled next month. But I am out of Canada since 1 year, except visited for couple of weeks in May this year. I am planning to stay for the rest of the year. I am not sure what reason I can say to request for an online interview.
While I do not know for sure whether IRCC will grant a request to reschedule an online interview in place of an already scheduled in-person interview, odds probably lean against it. I have seen no reports indicating what criteria IRCC might consider in deciding whether to grant such a request. The only reasons to offer are YOUR personal reasons, why you cannot attend an in-person interview.

I agree with @lila777 that the faster and probably safer path to being scheduled for the oath would be to appear for the in-person interview as scheduled.

That said, I suspect that showing up for this interview, as scheduled, is not just outside what you have planned for, but is not practical for you. So, if indeed you cannot appear for the interview as scheduled, you will need to REQUEST the interview be rescheduled. While IRCC is fairly flexible in rescheduling events like this, be aware that multiple failures to appear as scheduled can result in the application being deemed abandoned.

When making the request to reschedule, you can, of course, include a request that they conduct the interview online, and explain YOUR reasons, basically explaining why it is too difficult for you to appear in-person, for YOU, in YOUR situation. Not everyone here agrees, but there is a significant probability that being outside Canada in this situation and rescheduling the interview will lead to a significant delay in how long it takes to complete processing your application . . . well, for sure, just rescheduling results in a delay, at the least however long it takes IRCC to set a new date. This can sometimes result in delay far longer than many anticipate. So the only way to avoid delay is to somehow get here and attend the interview as scheduled.

HNJ

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
Any guidance on how much time will it take for oath after interview? I had my interview today. Officer said she will reach out if any further questions or will forward my file for ceremony.

RESCUE EAGLE

Star Member
Aug 3, 2023
Any guidance on how much time will it take for oath after interview? I had my interview today. Officer said she will reach out if any further questions or will forward my file for ceremony.
Have you got anything back from them , is ur LPP completed, invitation for oath or you are still waiting,

I'm in the same boat , I had my interview Aug03 , and wonder how much time need to hear back from them or get any updates on my file processing

HNJ

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
Have you got anything back from them , is ur LPP completed, invitation for oath or you are still waiting,

I'm in the same boat , I had my interview Aug03 , and wonder how much time need to hear back from them or get any updates on my file processing
My LPP is now completed and updated on 4th August. Waiting for oath invitation.

Reactions: RESCUE EAGLE

pankaj.chhabra

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
England
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2017

How was your interview, what to expect from it?? I have mine on 23 august.. Also, what was your office??

pankaj.chhabra

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
England
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-02-2017
How was your interview, what to expect from it?? I have mine on 23 august.. Also, what was your office??

HNJ

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
Interview is basic questions on your work, travel history etc. Nothing to worry, its pretty normal. In my case i had an extended stay outside canada so most of the questions were based on that. Mine is Missisaugua office.

RESCUE EAGLE

Star Member
Aug 3, 2023
My LPP is now completed and updated on 4th August. Waiting for oath invitation.
Congratulations,
So it 3 weeks from the interview to the date of LPP completed update
U should get ur Oath invitation very soon,
Plz keep us updated

RESCUE EAGLE

Star Member
Aug 3, 2023
It was like 15 minutes, almost normal, the official was so nice ,questions about ur work , where r u now , and for sure need to IDs to confirm you identity,
Read carefully the invitation letter for the interview and be sure you have all requested documents ( the original one).
Best of luck.

CHIOMA OSSAI

May 30, 2020
I had my interview on the 25th of July and got asked for additional documents on the 28th of July. I am still waiting for my LPP to be completed. It’s frustrating having to wait for so long and to see Jan 2023 and March 2023 applicants having their applications approved while your application is from October 2022 and all you get is stupid interview and additional documents request

HNJ

Star Member
Mar 20, 2017
Congratulations,
So it 3 weeks from the interview to the date of LPP completed update
U should get ur Oath invitation very soon,
Plz keep us updated
Sure will do. Just a side note, for me only the physical presence was in progress at the time of interview, rest all was completed. I guess they only wanted to ensure if I am back in Canada and what are my plans going forward. Glad its completed now. Lets see when i get the oath invitation.

Janice2022

Star Member
Aug 19, 2022
Hello,

Is there any couple that was called for an interview? Wanted to check if we need to do the video conference separately or together as our timings are the same and it's a family application.

Thank you.
Please tell me your experience with this?

raven00090

Oct 27, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
27-01-2017
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
IRCC could rely more on the CBSA travel history information. Many believe IRCC should. For now, HOWEVER, that does NOT appear likely to happen, at least not anytime soon.
This does not appear to be correct, at least as per: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

"If you are applying for Canadian Citizenship, you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) can collect the report on your behalf when needed since consent to share information about the entry/exit information is no longer required. "

Also.

"
Data use by federal partners

The CBSA discloses entry and exit information we collect in accordance with legislative authorities to:

• Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the administration and enforcement of immigration and citizenship programs
  • the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) for law enforcement purposes
  • Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for the administration of the Employment Insurance and Old Age Security programs
  • the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the administration of Canada’s child and family benefit programs"