+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Interview

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Question, does everyone have to do an interview or is it just random selection?
For now, neither.

It warrants noting that prior to the implementation of measures to deal with the impact of the Covid global pandemic, yes, all adult grant citizenship applicants were subject to the PI interview (with exceptions, such as those related to disability). Whether post-pandemic processing will see IRCC return to interviewing all adult applicants is an open question.

For now, who is subject to a PI interview (mostly verification of documents and language ability) depends on whether the applicant meets selective criteria, which of course is confidential and not shared with the public. Some is probably random, but mostly it is about identifying applicants to be interviewed on a case-by-case basis, relative to the particular facts in the individual case. It appears likely, for example, that applicants who were abroad when taking the online test, and those otherwise known or perceived to be abroad for extended periods of time (in practical terms, living abroad rather than merely traveling), are in particular more likely to have an interview. But again, we don't know the criteria employed (which does not make it "random").

• Love
Reactions: fulton1712

fulton1712

Star Member
Jun 27, 2022
Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
For now, neither.

It warrants noting that prior to the implementation of measures to deal with the impact of the Covid global pandemic, yes, all adult grant citizenship applicants were subject to the PI interview (with exceptions, such as those related to disability). Whether post-pandemic processing will see IRCC return to interviewing all adult applicants is an open question.

For now, who is subject to a PI interview (mostly verification of documents and language ability) depends on whether the applicant meets selective criteria, which of course is confidential and not shared with the public. Some is probably random, but mostly it is about identifying applicants to be interviewed on a case-by-case basis, relative to the particular facts in the individual case. It appears likely, for example, that applicants who were abroad when taking the online test, and those otherwise known or perceived to be abroad for extended periods of time (in practical terms, living abroad rather than merely traveling), are in particular more likely to have an interview. But again, we don't know the criteria employed (which does not make it "random").
Thank you for this detailed explanation :)

lanka1204

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
London visa office
App. Filed.......
09-08-2019
Doc's Request.
13-01-2020 Military service
AOR Received.
21-10-2019
Med's Request
18-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
I got update on my citizenship tracker and interview scheduled for 11th July. I haven't received any email yet.
you pass interview? what was there?

lanka1204

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
London visa office
App. Filed.......
09-08-2019
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-10-2019
Med's Request
18-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
Yes, I passed. He checked my DL, HC, PR, and other travel questions, passports check too.
Everything completed after the interview in the tracker. I am waiting for oath.
what does it mean? what other question been asked?

lanka1204

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
London visa office
App. Filed.......
09-08-2019
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-10-2019
Med's Request
18-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
You will see when you have yours, sorry I can't share all questions word by word.

Edit:
DL = Driving license
HC = Health Card
ok no problem thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
what does it mean? what other question been asked?
While I have had no personal experience at all recently (been there, done that, but that was years ago now), I can say that the nature, form, and scope of the standard PI (Program Integrity) interview has been consistent for many years, the differences lately being the fact that some interviews are now being conducted online, and not every adult applicant is interviewed (which is unlike before the pandemic when all adult applicants, with only special exceptions, were interviewed).

This is in reference to the PI Interview, which is part of "routine" processing. Applicants may otherwise also be required to participate in non-routine interviews. I assume your queries are about the typical, routine interview.

The primary subjects of the routine PI interview are about checking and verifying the supporting documents submitted with the application, including identity documents, status document (PR card), and travel documents (for most applicants this is about passports for most applicants -- basically confirming your identity and checking those documents.

The PI Interview is also to verify the applicant's ability in an official language. This is not a formal language test, but rather screening the applicant's ability to engage in the interview in either English or French. Most applicants do not even realize that they are being screened for language ability.

The scope of questions beyond that can and do vary considerably. Some applicants are asked very little more.

Many applicants (and this used to be almost all applicants in the past) are asked to verify no prohibitions (no criminal charges), and give current address and employment information. This is mostly a formality, and for most is related to screening to see how the applicant responds, largely to verify identity and discern credibility. NOT an interrogation in any sense.

Some applicants may be questioned extensively. It depends on whether the processing agent or citizenship officer conducting the interview has concerns or questions about any of the particular requirements. If, for example, IRCC discovered discrepancies in the information provided by the applicant, mistakes in travel history being fairly common, there may be questions about those particular things. One applicant reported, for example, that IRCC identified they failed to report one of their trips outside Canada, the applicant saw they had made a mistake, acknowledged the mistake (one three week absence left out of their travel history), but since the applicant applied with a big margin over the minimum and IRCC did not otherwise see reason to question let alone doubt the applicant's other information, no problem, and they were soon scheduled for the oath. However, a number of other applicant's have reported IRCC finding mistakes in the applicant's travel history, triggering more extensive questions, and for some also follow-up processing like requests for full copy of all passport pages, or the dreaded RQ (Residence Questionnaire).

Which is only to say how extensive the interview is can be very different for one person compared to another. If there is no reason to question the applicant's information, the interview is usually short, simple, polite, not at all confrontational. For most it goes fast, done before you blink.

lanka1204

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
London visa office
App. Filed.......
09-08-2019
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
21-10-2019
Med's Request
18-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
While I have had no personal experience at all recently (been there, done that, but that was years ago now), I can say that the nature, form, and scope of the standard PI (Program Integrity) interview has been consistent for many years, the differences lately being the fact that some interviews are now being conducted online, and not every adult applicant is interviewed (which is unlike before the pandemic when all adult applicants, with only special exceptions, were interviewed).

This is in reference to the PI Interview, which is part of "routine" processing. Applicants may otherwise also be required to participate in non-routine interviews. I assume your queries are about the typical, routine interview.

The primary subjects of the routine PI interview are about checking and verifying the supporting documents submitted with the application, including identity documents, status document (PR card), and travel documents (for most applicants this is about passports for most applicants -- basically confirming your identity and checking those documents.

The PI Interview is also to verify the applicant's ability in an official language. This is not a formal language test, but rather screening the applicant's ability to engage in the interview in either English or French. Most applicants do not even realize that they are being screened for language ability.

The scope of questions beyond that can and do vary considerably. Some applicants are asked very little more.

Many applicants (and this used to be almost all applicants in the past) are asked to verify no prohibitions (no criminal charges), and give current address and employment information. This is mostly a formality, and for most is related to screening to see how the applicant responds, largely to verify identity and discern credibility. NOT an interrogation in any sense.

Some applicants may be questioned extensively. It depends on whether the processing agent or citizenship officer conducting the interview has concerns or questions about any of the particular requirements. If, for example, IRCC discovered discrepancies in the information provided by the applicant, mistakes in travel history being fairly common, there may be questions about those particular things. One applicant reported, for example, that IRCC identified they failed to report one of their trips outside Canada, the applicant saw they had made a mistake, acknowledged the mistake (one three week absence left out of their travel history), but since the applicant applied with a big margin over the minimum and IRCC did not otherwise see reason to question let alone doubt the applicant's other information, no problem, and they were soon scheduled for the oath. However, a number of other applicant's have reported IRCC finding mistakes in the applicant's travel history, triggering more extensive questions, and for some also follow-up processing like requests for full copy of all passport pages, or the dreaded RQ (Residence Questionnaire).

Which is only to say how extensive the interview is can be very different for one person compared to another. If there is no reason to question the applicant's information, the interview is usually short, simple, polite, not at all confrontational. For most it goes fast, done before you blink.
thank you for answering that details, so assuming this its don't have to be a problem for me )

Coollime

Oct 29, 2016
It did not say anything but I emailed them. Got a response very quickly that within Canada is not a requirement for interview. Thanks for your reply though.
Hello. Can you please share if you got DM yet? i will do my interview out of canada as well and I am worried it would delay processing. Did the officer ask you in the interview to notify them when you are back to Canada?

Reactions: Dreamlad

Coollime

Oct 29, 2016
Hello! I have been invited for an interview, but I am currently outside of Canada and only has my valid passport, it is a problem that I can only show scanned pages of the expired passport?
Can you please share if you were able to do the interview while out of Canada?

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Can you please share if you were able to do the interview while out of Canada?
You can attend interview outside Canada. It's not new.

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Hello. Can you please share if you got DM yet? i will do my interview out of canada as well and I am worried it would delay processing. Did the officer ask you in the interview to notify them when you are back to Canada?
Just did my oath last week. It seems that that is not a major steps unless you botch the interview. I was asked when I should be back to Canada, but I think it was more for scheduling the oath ceremony.