CITIZENSHIP Interview Tests & Documents - 2016 & 2017

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iceskater said:
This may sound stupid....

Do you need to submit any of the old / expired id's along with the citizenship application?

1. Expired PR Card
2. Expired Health Card
3. Expired Driving License... and so on...

Most of them must have been tossed?

Thanks,
If you have a new PR card....you need not send your expired one....as it needs to be shredded/destroyed once your new PR card is in your possession. But If like me,I applied for citizenship June and my PR card expires October of the same year....then you have to hold on to your expired PR card. Other expired IDs like health card and DL.....it's a NO,you don't need them. It's the old/expired passport/s IRCC will be interested in,as it will show pertinent information/s of your travels or lack thereof.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iceskater said:
Hi All,

Please share your experience for the citizenship test and interviews for 2016 & 2017

1. What documents to be taken with you?
2. Any irrelevant questions asked & the outcome?
3. etc....

Thanks,
I was so stressed about bringing ALL the original documents they mentioned in the letters.... I had it all with me but during my interview, my officer didn't even look at any of them.....
She asked when I came to Canada, my former and current job,family.....interview went for only 5 mins and went well,she congratulated me and said wait for my oath invite within 2-4 months....I got an Ecas update almost 2 months after my test and interview....
Still, it's best for you to be ready or overly prepared.....you'll never know what documents they'll ask for.

Iceskater

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
Thank you for your replies...Some more clarifications,

Do you take your house papers, utility bills, tax returns, bank statements, college education, work ex letters, payslips and so on...?
As these papers are the records from the 'addresses in past six years' & 'work/ education in past six years'....

Cause they seem to be extras...

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yup, nothing to lose if you come with one suitcase of records, better be prepared than RQ.

KtotheG

Jan 18, 2017
pie_vancouver said:
Yup, nothing to lose if you come with one suitcase of records, better be prepared than RQ.
Now I totally appreciate the sentiment of 'being safe than sorry' when it comes to rounding up documents, but for the sake of argument is it necessary? Are there examples of coming in to one's interview with a full dossier (as if anticipating a RQ) of documents being helpful?

For mine, I'm approaching it with the mind of bringing originals of everything I submitted photocopies of in my application(passports, IDs, etc.), my US FOIA entry/exit records, and anything else they specifically ask for ahead of time.

Of course, I'll be sure to know where my documents are and how to obtain other ones in the event they are required, but I just think it's a lot of unnecessary stress to compile what may very well not be needed at all.

That said, nothing wrong with being overly-prepared if that gives you peace of mind.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If you traveled a LOT and there are so many stamps in your passport, it is wise to have itineraries/records for those travels. But if you were like me who only traveled 6 days out of 3 yrs, you don't need a lot of records, the lady only checked my passport, asked me about my employment and if I have family in Canada, that was it, maybe 5-10 minutes and I waited for almost 1 hour for the interview.

KtotheG

Jan 18, 2017
pie_vancouver said:
If you traveled a LOT and there are so many stamps in your passport, it is wise to have itineraries/records for those travels. But if you were like me who only traveled 6 days out of 3 yrs, you don't need a lot of records, the lady only checked my passport, asked me about my employment and if I have family in Canada, that was it, maybe 5-10 minutes and I waited for almost 1 hour for the interview.
Yeah, absolutely agree as to documenting the entries/exits - for work/family I visit the US several times a year so that's why I got my FOIA report done. With that and the info IRCC can pull from CBSA, etc. it should be pretty apparent that residency requirements were met and exceeded. Bringing leases, pay stubs, etc. is probably a touch excessive in my case.

blucky

Feb 2, 2017
I brought followings:

1. Landing paper - almost lost it haha
2. Passports - Same passports you copied for citizenship application
3. PR card and driver's license as a photo ID

*Test was easy: I read Discovery Canada and took a practice test from online. There are lots :)

*Interview was right after the test. Just checked couple stamps on my passports to fill some missing information. Checked my PR card etc. Interviewers were nice. Just be yourself, and answer the questions honestly. They are not there to trick you.

Just waiting for my Oath date now :)

Iceskater said:
Hi All,answers ease some people who are looking for what they are going to go through.

Please share your experience for the citizenship test and interviews for 2016 & 2017

1. What documents to be taken with you?
2. Any irrelevant questions asked & the outcome?
3. etc....

Thanks,