+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Interview Question

ahmedtiko

Sep 26, 2019
Hello All,

I received an invitation to attend a citizenship online interview. The email didn't request any extra documents from me except for the citizenship application original documents (which I can only think of the original passports to bring).

My question is: what is the interview for? I was always under the impression that if called for an interview, then the officer probably needs some extra supporting documents to prove/clarify something specific about your application.

in this case, it just seems to be a regular interview, but what does that mean? is there something I need to "prepare" for? or is it only going to be questions about my situation.. like things I can answer of course without preparing!

Not sure if I'm overthinking this, but I enjoy reading and preparing for big events in my life, they make me feel "ready" and this just seems too simple to prepare for :)

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The interview used to be mandatory before covid, and usually lasted 5 to 10 minutes.
A quick chat during which the officer will ask casual questions (what you do for a living, whether you have family in the country and such), and have a look at your passport.

There's nothing to prepare for really. I'm not sure what criteria IRCC uses now for deciding whether to have an interview or not, but it's usually no big deal.

As for documents, that includes the IDs you used or the language proof, and potentially a translation of the passport stamps.

ahmedtiko

Sep 26, 2019
Thanks guys!
The interview used to be mandatory before covid, and usually lasted 5 to 10 minutes.
A quick chat during which the officer will ask casual questions (what you do for a living, whether you have family in the country and such), and have a look at your passport.

There's nothing to prepare for really. I'm not sure what criteria IRCC uses now for deciding whether to have an interview or not, but it's usually no big deal.

As for documents, that includes the IDs you used or the language proof, and potentially a translation of the passport stamps.
Thanks for this. I am comfortable knowing my application is nearing the end :)

About the passport stamps, I remember before Covid a relative was asked for the passport stamps translation and he had to get an affidavit and resubmit the translated stamps. Well, I have my stamps translated and organized in an Excel, but is this enough in your opinion (as an initial translation, to see if the officer would ask me for formal translation?)

Or do people with non-english stamps have to get them formally translated in all cases before the interview?

Thanks

ahmedtiko

Sep 26, 2019

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks guys!

Thanks for this. I am comfortable knowing my application is nearing the end :)

About the passport stamps, I remember before Covid a relative was asked for the passport stamps translation and he had to get an affidavit and resubmit the translated stamps. Well, I have my stamps translated and organized in an Excel, but is this enough in your opinion (as an initial translation, to see if the officer would ask me for formal translation?)

Or do people with non-english stamps have to get them formally translated in all cases before the interview?

Thanks
Yes stamps will need to be formally translated to English or French if they are not already in either language. Same as what your relative did...so the requirements haven’t changed, just virtual. ;)

ahmedtiko

Sep 26, 2019
Yes stamps will need to be formally translated to English or French if they are not already in either language. Same as what your relative did...so the requirements haven’t changed, just virtual. ;)
Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure if this had to be done proactively or if I need to wait for an officer to request it.

You're right though, I'll google how to get these translated formally and have them ready on time!

ahmedtiko

Sep 26, 2019
More details here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html#s3

Whether the agent actually spends time going through each and every stamp, or even glances at them, is another story...
That you'll only know during the interview itself ;)
hahahaha 100% would rather be ready even if the officer decides there is no need to go through the stamps :)

Thanks for your help

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My apologies for focusing on a tangent . . . the primary query has been well answered above, including the link to the PDI regarding the interview, so I hope my comments below are not too much a distraction.

I do want to emphasize one aspect of the interview: one of its purposes is to verify ability in an official language. The proof of language ability submitted with the application is ONLY for the purpose of meeting the requirements to make a complete application. That proof with application requirement was added to the process less than a decade ago because a high percentage of applicants were failing to meet the language ability requirements, diverting a substantial amount of CIC/IRCC resources to process applications which led to hearings (which involve a huge, disproportionate consumption of time and resources) for applicants ultimately denied citizenship (until this requirement was added to the application, there were many thousands of applications denied each year due to a failure to meet the language ability requirement).

The knowledge of Canada test plus interview is the screening done to verify the applicant meets the statutorily required ability in an official language. As noted by others, Covid has skewered this process some, and it is unclear why some virtual test applicants are required to also participate in a subsequent interview, while some are not. Nonetheless, the proof of language ability submitted with the application only gets the application past the completeness screening; all applicants who are subject to the language ability requirement can be further screened for language ability . . . and when in-person testing and interviews resume, that will indeed be a routine part of the process.

Of course the interview has additional purposes, as described in the linked PDI and discussed by others above.

More details here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html#s3

Whether the agent actually spends time going through each and every stamp, or even glances at them, is another story...
That you'll only know during the interview itself ;)
Thank you for the link to this PDI.

The PDI you cite and link definitively answers the question as to passport stamps which is asked in this forum again and again.

Those experienced with IRCC procedure are well aware that in EVERY case, in regards to EVERY application process, with perhaps only rare exceptions, if a document to be presented to IRCC contains information that is not in one of the official languages, a properly authenticated translation is required . . . EVEN IF this requirement is not always or uniformly enforced. There are, for example, at least a dozen references to "translations" in the guide instructions for an adult citizenship application, and yet again and again if the request for this or that particular document does not explicitly state that a translation must be provided for any information not in an official language, the question is asked, "is a translation required?" . . .

. . . and this is most frequently asked in regards to passport stamps. Over and over again we see queries in the vein of "the request for passport pages does not say to provide a translation of stamps, so do I need to have a translation of passport stamps not in English or French?" And, unfortunately, we also see a fair number of responses "I did not have a translation of my passport stamps and it was OK, so you will be OK." A form of reasoning, illogical reasoning, that is all too common here, and which is all too often misleading. (Note: I am among those who took the risk of arriving at my interview without a translation of stamps in a language other than French or English, and it was OK; but I know what the requirement is, and among my excuses I got the notice to attend the interview way, way sooner than I expected, and just days before it was scheduled, catching me off-guard with no time to get the translation done, which of course I should have done as a matter of course when I applied. I am known for failing to follow my own advice.)

The PDI you cite and link definitively answers such questions: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html#s3

It states:
Note: At this time, these instructions are applicable to the immigration and citizenship programs.

It further states:
In all situations, supporting documents that are in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by an official translation of the original document, or of a certified copy of the original document in English or French.

I cannot explain why this particular PDI, which states it applies to ALL situations, and is applicable for both immigration and citizenship, is found in the hierarchy of PDIs under Refugee protection, let alone Pre-removal risk assessments, and yet cannot be reached through the link-trees for either of those. I have been finding navigation of the PDIs problematic since the Harper government started replacing operational manuals and bulletins with PDIs around seven years ago.

But in any event, @Seym, I appreciate you were able to navigate to this particular PDI and have shared a link to it here. It helps to have a definitive IRCC source to reference even when the answer to a question is otherwise widely known and well understood.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
^ The instruction to provide official translations by certified translators for documents not in English or French is definitely in the current request letter for supplementary evidence when asked for passport stamps. Many people just don’t read and prefer to ask and hear it from others.

ahmedtiko

Sep 26, 2019
^ The instruction to provide official translations by certified translators for documents not in English or French is definitely in the current request letter for supplementary evidence when asked for passport stamps. Many people just don’t read and prefer to ask and hear it from others.
What if in my case I was not asked for supplementary evidence?

I just wasn't sure if every person being interviewed is expected to be asked for his passport stamps (on camera) and then if I need to have the stamps translated proactively before being asked, or if I should wait to be asked for them in the interview and then get them translated and send via email!!

I guess I don't understand how an agent will go through 50 stamps on camera when I wasn't asked to submit supporting documents.

ahmedtiko

Sep 26, 2019
My apologies for focusing on a tangent . . . the primary query has been well answered above, including the link to the PDI regarding the interview, so I hope my comments below are not too much a distraction.

I do want to emphasize one aspect of the interview: one of its purposes is to verify ability in an official language. The proof of language ability submitted with the application is ONLY for the purpose of meeting the requirements to make a complete application. That proof with application requirement was added to the process less than a decade ago because a high percentage of applicants were failing to meet the language ability requirements, diverting a substantial amount of CIC/IRCC resources to process applications which led to hearings (which involve a huge, disproportionate consumption of time and resources) for applicants ultimately denied citizenship (until this requirement was added to the application, there were many thousands of applications denied each year due to a failure to meet the language ability requirement).

The knowledge of Canada test plus interview is the screening done to verify the applicant meets the statutorily required ability in an official language. As noted by others, Covid has skewered this process some, and it is unclear why some virtual test applicants are required to also participate in a subsequent interview, while some are not. Nonetheless, the proof of language ability submitted with the application only gets the application past the completeness screening; all applicants who are subject to the language ability requirement can be further screened for language ability . . . and when in-person testing and interviews resume, that will indeed be a routine part of the process.

Of course the interview has additional purposes, as described in the linked PDI and discussed by others above.

Thank you for the link to this PDI.

The PDI you cite and link definitively answers the question as to passport stamps which is asked in this forum again and again.

Those experienced with IRCC procedure are well aware that in EVERY case, in regards to EVERY application process, with perhaps only rare exceptions, if a document to be presented to IRCC contains information that is not in one of the official languages, a properly authenticated translation is required . . . EVEN IF this requirement is not always or uniformly enforced. There are, for example, at least a dozen references to "translations" in the guide instructions for an adult citizenship application, and yet again and again if the request for this or that particular document does not explicitly state that a translation must be provided for any information not in an official language, the question is asked, "is a translation required?" . . .

. . . and this is most frequently asked in regards to passport stamps. Over and over again we see queries in the vein of "the request for passport pages does not say to provide a translation of stamps, so do I need to have a translation of passport stamps not in English or French?" And, unfortunately, we also see a fair number of responses "I did not have a translation of my passport stamps and it was OK, so you will be OK." A form of reasoning, illogical reasoning, that is all too common here, and which is all too often misleading. (Note: I am among those who took the risk of arriving at my interview without a translation of stamps in a language other than French or English, and it was OK; but I know what the requirement is, and among my excuses I got the notice to attend the interview way, way sooner than I expected, and just days before it was scheduled, catching me off-guard with no time to get the translation done, which of course I should have done as a matter of course when I applied. I am known for failing to follow my own advice.)

The PDI you cite and link definitively answers such questions: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html#s3

It states:
Note: At this time, these instructions are applicable to the immigration and citizenship programs.

It further states:
In all situations, supporting documents that are in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by an official translation of the original document, or of a certified copy of the original document in English or French.

I cannot explain why this particular PDI, which states it applies to ALL situations, and is applicable for both immigration and citizenship, is found in the hierarchy of PDIs under Refugee protection, let alone Pre-removal risk assessments, and yet cannot be reached through the link-trees for either of those. I have been finding navigation of the PDIs problematic since the Harper government started replacing operational manuals and bulletins with PDIs around seven years ago.

But in any event, @Seym, I appreciate you were able to navigate to this particular PDI and have shared a link to it here. It helps to have a definitive IRCC source to reference even when the answer to a question is otherwise widely known and well understood.
Thanks for this. It definitely makes sense that all documents ready to be presented be also ready with certified translation. I also realized that I have the email address for the person interviewing me and I send him the question.

I wanted to avoid delaying my application (if I get asked for the translated stamps and THEN I go, get them translated, and schedule a new interview). So I guess the right thing to do is to get this out of the way and translate the stamps, won't cost me more than $50 and will give me peace of mind for sure.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
What if in my case I was not asked for supplementary evidence?

I just wasn't sure if every person being interviewed is expected to be asked for his passport stamps (on camera) and then if I need to have the stamps translated proactively before being asked, or if I should wait to be asked for them in the interview and then get them translated and send via email!!

I guess I don't understand how an agent will go through 50 stamps on camera when I wasn't asked to submit supporting documents.
Your invitation PDF only had 2 pages? Because mine had 4, the last 2 pages were the request letter with the translation instructions.

Your case seems unusual. IMO, these are the pains of a pilot program. Sometimes even the officers themselves are not consistent.

You have the right idea by getting the translations done for peace of mind. Or email your officer for clarification, perhaps.

Last edited: