+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship interview from outside of Canada

from_india_to_canada

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Has anyone ever attended the interview from outside of Canada? My understanding is
- test: Outside of Canada is OK
- Oath: You have to be inside Canada

What about interview?

Thanks bros

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Has anyone ever attended the interview from outside of Canada? My understanding is

What about interview?

Thanks bros
Interviews also need to be within Canada - I know this because when I spoke to an IRCC officer who had called me up to tell me my test was invalidated because they couldn’t see me doing the test (webcam issues). When I mentioned that I had upcoming travel at the time and what to do in case I get the invite when I’m outside Canada or an interview request, they distinctly told me “Taking the test from outside is fine, but for interviews and oath you need to be in the country.”

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

What about interview?

Thanks bros
You have to take the Oath while be present in Canada.
During the oath you have to cut your PR card(s) as well

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Interviews also need to be within Canada - I know this because when I spoke to an IRCC officer who had called me up to tell me my test was invalidated because they couldn’t see me doing the test (webcam issues). When I mentioned that I had upcoming travel at the time and what to do in case I get the invite when I’m outside Canada or an interview request, they distinctly told me “Taking the test from outside is fine, but for interviews and oath you need to be in the country.”
That's what I know, until recently someone received an email saying to them it's OK if they are outside Canada.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/online-citizenship-test-completed-waiting-for-next-steps.716627/page-111#post-9772621

jv35

Sep 21, 2018
If anyone has more information on whether it is being allowed to take the interview outside Canada, it would help me so much! I've been asked to appear for an interview next week and I'm just trying to figure out if I should request to take it from outside Canada or if I need to now make travel plans.

from_india_to_canada

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
If anyone has more information on whether it is being allowed to take the interview outside Canada, it would help me so much! I've been asked to appear for an interview next week and I'm just trying to figure out if I should request to take it from outside Canada or if I need to now make travel plans.
have you contacted the office? which office are you with?

jv35

Sep 21, 2018
have you contacted the office? which office are you with?
I'm with the Surrey, BC office. I haven't contacted them yet. Their instructions just said to reach out to them if I am outside Canada, and that they will then send further instructions. I am not sure if that means - allowing me to take the test outside or if I will be rescheduled to a later date when I am able to travel to Canada. Honestly, I don't want more delays in my process..but it's also hard to make suddent travel plans so just trying to get as much info in the forum as possible.

ac_2018

Nov 13, 2018
I'm with the Surrey, BC office. I haven't contacted them yet. Their instructions just said to reach out to them if I am outside Canada, and that they will then send further instructions. I am not sure if that means - allowing me to take the test outside or if I will be rescheduled to a later date when I am able to travel to Canada. Honestly, I don't want more delays in my process..but it's also hard to make suddent travel plans so just trying to get as much info in the forum as possible.
I'm in the same situation as you. Have IRCC responded back to you regarding online interview yet?

from_india_to_canada

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Did you mean test or interview? I'm confused.

ac_2018

Nov 13, 2018
I just received a notice from Surrey IRCC that video interview from outside of Canada is OK. IRCC is finally being more reasonable now.

Here's what the email said, "Thank you for your email. Kindly be advised that you can still attend the MS Teams video session from outside Canada (you must have received a notice inviting you to the session along with the MS Teams consent form). "

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I just received a notice from Surrey IRCC that video interview from outside of Canada is OK. IRCC is finally being more reasonable now.

Here's what the email said, "Thank you for your email. Kindly be advised that you can still attend the MS Teams video session from outside Canada (you must have received a notice inviting you to the session along with the MS Teams consent form). "
Thanks for posting this. This might help others who are in a similar situation.