+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship interview - don't have old passport

spherical

Aug 23, 2015
Hi,

The passport that was valid for the 5 years prior to my Canada citizenship application expired in July and I had to mail it in with my application for my new UK passport. The passport application stated that my old passport would be returned to me, but as it's now been almost 5 months I've had to accept that it must have been lost in the mail.

I'm trying to understand if this is going to be an issue for me during my citizenship interview (I took the test a couple of months ago) and if there's anything I can do to prepare for that or if anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer advice. With hindsight I should have taken copies of all the pages before sending it in but unfortunately I didn't do that.

Thanks,
Sophia

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi,

The passport that was valid for the 5 years prior to my Canada citizenship application expired in July and I had to mail it in with my application for my new UK passport. The passport application stated that my old passport would be returned to me, but as it's now been almost 5 months I've had to accept that it must have been lost in the mail.

I'm trying to understand if this is going to be an issue for me during my citizenship interview (I took the test a couple of months ago) and if there's anything I can do to prepare for that or if anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer advice. With hindsight I should have taken copies of all the pages before sending it in but unfortunately I didn't do that.

Thanks,
Sophia
No one knows. They may put your file for more scrutiny.

Grassquit

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Hi,

Thanks,
Sophia
It's been almost a year so I'm fuzzy on details, but I think I got a tracking number for both new passport and (separately) old passport. Do you have that to show it was sent but not delivered? I'd contact the UK passport office as well to enquire as to the old passport's status - at least that way you'll have something to show IRCC when/if you can't comply with their instructions

spherical

Aug 23, 2015
It's been almost a year so I'm fuzzy on details, but I think I got a tracking number for both new passport and (separately) old passport. Do you have that to show it was sent but not delivered? I'd contact the UK passport office as well to enquire as to the old passport's status - at least that way you'll have something to show IRCC when/if you can't comply with their instructions
I only ever got a tracking number for the new passport but not the old one. Sounds like a good idea, I'll follow up with them to confirm it actually got sent!