+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for Child Born Outside Canada. naturalized Canadian father

aiman.b

Nov 26, 2015
Hi all,

I am a naturalized Canadian citizen, and my wife is waiting for her PR visa from my Sponsorship application (in Jordan). Our baby was born in Jordan.
I read online that I need to apply for a citizenship certificate for the newborn baby (processing time is 13months, more if you're applying from overseas), to be able to apply for a Canadian passport (which could take more than 2 months as it's printed in Canada). I would like to get the baby's passport ASAP.

Any way to get it processed faster without waiting for the citizenship certificate?
Would they (embassy/ircc) accept a copy of my citizenship certificate + a copy of the baby's citizenship certificate application?

I really appreciate your input on this.

PS Available documents: baby's Jordanian passport, national ID, and birth certificate.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/baby-born-in-india-to-naturalized-canadian-father.751868/#post-9853971

This thread has info. In short, contact the consular section of the nearest embassy (or consulate): you will likely be told to apply for a passport for the child (temporary or emergency) on the basis of the application for the citizenship certificate. Details may vary depending on how soon the child will need to travel.

Important to note: the child IS a citizen - or at least a 'presumed' citizen (my term, not official). The certificate only confirms the child's status.

Hence they should (read 'shall') issue a passport when they are satisfied the child is a (presumed) citizen. If it's an infant, doesn't matter that much as would need a new passport before long anyway.

On that passport, the child can travel to Canada and get all necessary services, etc., and once the certificate is finalized get a new passport.

And note: this is NOT that rare. It's something any decent-sized consular section will have dealt with. It's possible you might get an initial wrong answer from someone on the phone or who hasn't xperienced such a case yet (junior local staff), but there is a solution.

You can also try searching more on web and/or contacting the global consular service phone number, or resorting to your MP if you wish.

Important to keep in mind: the 'visa' section of Canadian embassies and consulates does NOT handle this type of thing - because visas are for foreigners (non-Canadian citizens anyway). Hence it must be the consular section (services for Canadian citizen travellers).

Reactions: saou17 and snoopyta

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hence they should (read 'shall') issue a passport when they are satisfied the child is a (presumed) citizen. If it's an infant, doesn't matter that much as would need a new passport before long anyway.
Correcting my own earlier: I left out here between these two sentences that they shall issue a passport, BUT most likely a temporary or time-limited one - i.e. until the citizenship is confirmed and finalized by the government (citizenship is no longer 'presumed.') That's why it doesn't matter as much for an infant if time-limited.

waterlooengineer

Mar 13, 2018
@armoured just to clarify, we would have to file a Proof of Citizenship application? And then contact our nearest embassy/consulate with a Passport Application attaching the receipt of the Proof of Citizenship application?
In the US, since Canadian passport applications come to Canada. How would it work?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured just to clarify, we would have to file a Proof of Citizenship application? And then contact our nearest embassy/consulate with a Passport Application attaching the receipt of the Proof of Citizenship application?
In the US, since Canadian passport applications come to Canada. How would it work?
Basically yes. BUT: you will need to check with consular service, the wrinkle (one wrinkle anyway) being that most of the Canadian consulates in USA will handle the application centrally in Canada. (My experiences, a bit different, were elsehwere in the world).

So you'll likely end up having to clarify with consular through phone or on web, and do the passport app by mail. I don't know exactly. (There are options that are different if emergency case and a bunch of other small contingencies).

Since you haven't applied for the citiz. certifcate yet, I'd suggest checking into all at once and seeing how Global Affairs/IRCC expect you to handle it. (In some parts of the world they might ask to submit both together direct to consular section, but I doubt that's the case with USA apps).

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
In any case, baby can’t travel without mother anyway…..until she gets her visa you’re going to have to wait….
Also, you may-need to advise Cic on child birth too(your wife’s application)….you don’t add child to her file but notify cic of changes in family composition….even if child is Cdn….
Also you need to get your child’s documents (country of birth/origin/jordan) made too. Canadian govt may request those..

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
You cant apply for passport just with the receipt. First get Proof of Citizenship and then they apply for passport.
Mailing to apply for passport to Ottawa passport office is same as mailing from inside Canada. No difference except its higher fees if you applying as a US resident.
Even if you apply from inside US but if you reside in US, they would charge US fees as they would mail out to US via fedex.
You can contact embassy/consulate in US if you need passport urgently.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You cant apply for passport just with the receipt. First get Proof of Citizenship and then they apply for passport.
Mailing to apply for passport to Ottawa passport office is same as mailing from inside Canada.
You can contact embassy/consulate in US if you need passport urgently.
Note there IS a mechanism to apply for and get a passport without having received the certificate of citizenship. They suggest submitting both to the consular section at the same time.

Unfortuantely current consular services pages do not make this clear but it's out there in the webarchives:
http://web.archive.org/web/20181031032334/https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

This would really not be an issue in most cases if the government didn't take so long to provide the citizenship certificates.

But yes, you CAN apply for at least a temporary passport for the child without the citizenship docs.

Now worth noting: for US citizen children this may not be needed - because they can get on a plane to Canada and just tell the CBSA the kid is a citizen but has't yet received the certificate.

For most other nationalities this is not feasible.

Reactions: harirajmohan

waterlooengineer

Mar 13, 2018
Note there IS a mechanism to apply for and get a passport without having received the certificate of citizenship. They suggest submitting both to the consular section at the same time.

Unfortuantely current consular services pages do not make this clear but it's out there in the webarchives:
http://web.archive.org/web/20181031032334/https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

This would really not be an issue in most cases if the government didn't take so long to provide the citizenship certificates.

But yes, you CAN apply for at least a temporary passport for the child without the citizenship docs.

Now worth noting: for US citizen children this may not be needed - because they can get on a plane to Canada and just tell the CBSA the kid is a citizen but has't yet received the certificate.

For most other nationalities this is not feasible.
Thanks but I am more concerned about getting a health card made here in Ontario. If I wait for the Proof of Canadian Citizenship certificate, I am in for a long wait.
Would a temporary Canadian passport of the infant serve proof of being a Canadian in order to be eligible for the health card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks but I am more concerned about getting a health card made here in Ontario. If I wait for the Proof of Canadian Citizenship certificate, I am in for a long wait.
Would a temporary Canadian passport of the infant serve proof of being a Canadian in order to be eligible for the health card?
Are you in Canada already? Is the child travelling?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I do not know what Ohip requires, check their website. I assume they'd accept a temp passport but don't know for sure.

waterlooengineer

Mar 13, 2018
Yes I am already in Canada. Wife is Canadian too but delivering in the US. so we will have an American birth certificate. we plan to apply for the Canadian citizenship certificate as soon as we get the American birth certificate and then at the same time apply for temporary Canadian passport. Though we know that the baby can enter Canada using a US passport or birth certificate. For OHIP, we are trying to get the Canadian temp passport made urgently.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Show baby’s temp passport as well as the Canadian passport/ID of the mother…..a DL would also help as proof of address when registering for the ohip

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes I am already in Canada. Wife is Canadian too but delivering in the US. so we will have an American birth certificate. we plan to apply for the Canadian citizenship certificate as soon as we get the American birth certificate and then at the same time apply for temporary Canadian passport. Though we know that the baby can enter Canada using a US passport or birth certificate. For OHIP, we are trying to get the Canadian temp passport made urgently.
My point is: if you are trying to get the passport in order to get OHIP, you're phrasing your question wrongly. You may not need the temporary passport at all. (And you might get denied it, because the purpose of a teporary passport is ... to allow the child to TRAVEL, and you don't appear to need it now to TRAVEL.)

Your question is - in substance - how do I show OHIP that the child is a citizen.

Start with this: if you or your spouse are citizens, then the child IS a citizen. This is not unusual or a hard condition.

Call OHIP and ask, or check OHIP's webpages more carefully.

Your situation is not that rare. I think it's likely they'd look at the application for citizenship certificate for the child and/or accept the parent's proof of citizenship (passport or possibly cit certificate), proof of parentage (birth certificate) as sufficient to demonstrate that the child is a citizen. (At least while waiting for the child's cit certificate)

Reactions: waterlooengineer