+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born in india to naturalized canadian father

Spouswifey

Mar 26, 2016
Hi, My baby is born in india and the baby is Canadian citizen but we don’t have citizenship certificate yet. Should I apply for citizenship certificate for which the processing time is over 15 months?
Or should I apply for Canadian passport without Canadian certificate?
Or Should I apply for Indian passport and get TRV and bring the baby to Canada and then apply for Canadian certificate and Canadian passport?

what is my best option?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Should I apply for citizenship certificate for which the processing time is over 15 months?
Apply for both at the same time.

My understanding is you apply for the citizenship certificate, and then apply for a passport (temporary?) for the child. They should issue on basis that the child is a presumed citizen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

This is rather hard to find but there is a procedure to apply for a passport for a newborn, before the citizenship certificate is finalized. (BTW one should apply for that on urgent basis)

Important: they're basically issuing passport on basis the citizenship of the child is 'presumed' (not a legal term here, just me), and obvious - so the passport is basically temporary to return to Canada.

Spouswifey

Mar 26, 2016
https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

This is rather hard to find but there is a procedure to apply for a passport for a newborn, before the citizenship certificate is finalized. (BTW one should apply for that on urgent basis)

Important: they're basically issuing passport on basis the citizenship of the child is 'presumed' (not a legal term here, just me), and obvious - so the passport is basically temporary to return to Canada.
Thanks for this info. At this time, I want my baby and wife to come to Canada soon. So I’ll apply for citizenship certificate and temporary passport together

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for this info. At this time, I want my baby and wife to come to Canada soon. So I’ll apply for citizenship certificate and temporary passport together
Please let others know how it works out. The information at this link seems to have been partially buried in the reorganisation of the the government's websites and not resurfaced well; I'm reasonably confident that the situation hasn't changed in this respect (and very certain they are not expecting all citizens abroad to wait over a year to get their certificates before returning to Canada), but still would be better to confirm.

Important note: as your child is a citizen, you need to speak to the consular office, not the 'visa office' (often also called the immigration section). The visa office has nothign to do with issuing passports for Canadian citizens.

Spouswifey

Mar 26, 2016
Please let others know how it works out. The information at this link seems to have been partially buried in the reorganisation of the the government's websites and not resurfaced well; I'm reasonably confident that the situation hasn't changed in this respect (and very certain they are not expecting all citizens abroad to wait over a year to get their certificates before returning to Canada), but still would be better to confirm.

Important note: as your child is a citizen, you need to speak to the consular office, not the 'visa office' (often also called the immigration section). The visa office has nothign to do with issuing passports for Canadian citizens.
Thanks for the info

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I have an update here that may be quite important here: that in some cases, IRCC/Global Affairs may recommend or be willing to issue a Facilitation Visa (F-1). This came up as an acquaintance was contacting a consular section abroad to apply for citizneship certificate AND (crucially) the passport for child (citizenship by descent) and eventually the immigration section came back saying 'if child has a claim for citizenship, a Facilitation (F-1) visa may be issued.'

Here's what Canadian government site says about facilitation visas:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/facilitation-visas.html

The relevant part: facilitation visas may be issued "when new, replacement or emergency passports cannot be issued in a sufficiently timely fashion and where the travel is urgent:
  • for dual nationals coming to Canada for the first time;"
Important to note: they emphasize strongly the point 'where travel is urgent.'

Now in this case, my acquaintance is in a country where Global Affairs has issued very strong warnings to Canadians to depart.

So this likely is indeed considered an urgent case, and I (personally) have never seen one of these issued, only heard that they exist.

But FYI...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, My baby is born in india and the baby is Canadian citizen but we don’t have citizenship certificate yet. Should I apply for citizenship certificate for which the processing time is over 15 months?
Or Should I apply for Indian passport and get TRV and bring the baby to Canada and then apply for Canadian certificate and Canadian passport?

what is my best option?
You apply for both at the same time.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/baby-born-in-india-to-naturalized-canadian-father.751868/#post-9996518

My understanding is they will issue a temporary passport for the child (valid for a year or two, which is normal for infants anyway).

But best to contact consulate/high commission consular section to work out details.

Reactions: prak11