+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for baby to be born in india

vishnuvk99

Mar 21, 2021
Hi,

My wife is a Canadian citizen and I am a PR holder.
We are planning to have our baby delivery in India.
Will the baby get Canadian citizenship if the baby is born in India? If so how should we apply..
Please advise and give us your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
Vishnu

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
If your wife was born or naturalized in Canada, then your baby will be a Canadian citizen by descent at birth as the first generation born abroad. Your wife will need to apply for a citizenship certificate for your baby. Note that India does not allow adults to have dual citizenship, so while your baby will have both Indian and Canadian citizenships at birth, he/she will be required by India to decide which citizenship he/she wants to keep when he/she turns 18.

If your wife is also a citizen by descent, then your baby will not be an automatic citizen at birth because of the first generation limit.

harryIsBrahmachari

Feb 26, 2015
India
If your wife was born or naturalized in Canada, then your baby will be a Canadian citizen by descent at birth as the first generation born abroad. Your wife will need to apply for a citizenship certificate for your baby. Note that India does not allow adults to have dual citizenship, so while your baby will have both Indian and Canadian citizenships at birth, he/she will be required by India to decide which citizenship he/she wants to keep when he/she turns 18.

If your wife is also a citizen by descent, then your baby will not be an automatic citizen at birth because of the first generation limit.
I think India does not allow dual citizenship even for minors (below 18).
so either apply for CAD citizenship and then before 18 let the minor decide which one he/she wants to keep.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I think India does not allow dual citizenship even for minors (below 18).
so either apply for CAD citizenship and then before 18 let the minor decide which one he/she wants to keep.
Under the 1955 Citizenship Act (which India still treats as its current law), anyone born in India from two citizen parents or at least one Indian citizen parent and legal alien is an Indian citizen. So technically, the minor can have both citizenships at birth. I believe the problem potentially arises when the person tries to voluntarily assert the privileges of the other citizenship, like acquiring a passport.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi,

Will the baby get Canadian citizenship if the baby is born in India? If so how should we apply..

Thanks
Vishnu
You may also want to investigate the exit procedure for the baby from India on a Canadian passport. Recently someone reported about an infant denied boarding when leaving India.

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Hi,

Thanks
Vishnu
I respect your plan, but if possible, stay away from unnecessary complications dealing with FRRO or MEA.

Shiv9122

Jul 5, 2023
Hi,
Can anyone please answer my query on how to get my child into canada from India
1. Baby born in india, as father is a canadian she is a Canada citizen by birth and we got Canada passport in India. Without having this in mind, applied for Indian passport immediately after birth and received that too. Do i need to surrender Indian passport before making travel arrangements to Canada
2.If surrender is mandatory, Upon surrender of Indian passport, when coming from India what documents do Immigration officer asks while exiting from India?
Please help
Thank you

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,
Can anyone please answer my query on how to get my child into canada from India
1. Baby born in india, as father is a canadian she is a Canada citizen by birth and we got Canada passport in India. Without having this in mind, applied for Indian passport immediately after birth and received that too. Do i need to surrender Indian passport before making travel arrangements to Canada
2.If surrender is mandatory, Upon surrender of Indian passport, when coming from India what documents do Immigration officer asks while exiting from India?
Please help
Thank you
If you wanna retain Canadian citizenship for your daughter you will have to surrender the Indian citizenship and cancel the Indian passport
Since your in India at the moment, You need to look at this "Other services (this includes registration/grant of visa/exit permission for child born in India, grant of visa to those who have surrendered Indian passport consequent on acquiring foreign passport, registration by those who claim to be refugees etc.)"
https://www.mea.gov.in/visa-related-services-provided-by-FRROs-FROs-menu.htm
https://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/faqSurrender
https://indianfrro.gov.in/eservices/home.jsp

moham13a

Nov 22, 2019
canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
Hi,

Can some one please help me get the answer for the query below.

I am (father) a Canadian Citizen and my wife (Indian) gave birth to my daughter in India.
I got the birth certificate of my daughter and started filling the online application to get the certificate of citizenship.
In proof of citizenship section there's this question

Is (My Daughter name) a citizen of one or more countries other than Canada? Yes or No.
should I answer this 'No' so that I don't have to get Indian passport and later surrender to keep Canadian citizenship?

Please help.

Thanks,

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hi,

Can some one please help me get the answer for the query below.

I am (father) a Canadian Citizen and my wife (Indian) gave birth to my daughter in India.
I got the birth certificate of my daughter and started filling the online application to get the certificate of citizenship.
In proof of citizenship section there's this question

Is (My Daughter name) a citizen of one or more countries other than Canada? Yes or No.
should I answer this 'No' so that I don't have to get Indian passport and later surrender to keep Canadian citizenship?

Please help.

Thanks,
Canada allows multiple citizenships, and India does not require their citizens to get passports, so why lie about it?