+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship dilemma

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Hi,

I will complete 1100 days on Oct 16 and plan on filing an application for citizenship. Judging from the current waiting times that everyone posted I get the feeling that it will definitely take 12 months if not more.
The thing is I just finished my bachelors and got a great opportunity for starting a masters degree in Europe, it starts in August 2021. I plan on leaving in July as I need to find accommodation as well. There is no way that the citizenship process would finish before that right?

I am in a dilemma now about whether or not I should apply for citizenship.
If I apply before going then I don't know if I'll be able to come back for the test and ceremony and the same problem follows if I try to match the whole thing to summer '22 as firstly there is no time guarantee as far as the application is considered and secondly I don't know if I won't be doing some summer internship. The only guaranteed time I'll be in Canada is from now till July.
I have been a PR since 2008 and always narrowly missed the days requirement, I finally completed it and don't want to give it up this time.
When would be the best time for me to apply? and what are some of the problems I could face.
It would be great if someone could help me in deciding.

Thanks
Harry

Last edited:

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Hi,

I will complete 1100 days on Oct 16 and plan on filing an application for citizenship. Judging from the current waiting times that everyone posted I get the feeling that it will definitely take 12 months if not more.
The thing is I just finished my bachelors and got a great opportunity for starting a masters degree in Europe, it starts in August 2021. I plan on leaving in July as I need to find accommodation as well. There is no way that the citizenship process would finish before that right?

If I apply before going then I don't know if I'll be able to come back for the test and ceremony and the same problem follows if I try to match the whole thing to summer '22 as firstly there is no time guarantee as far as the application is considered and secondly I don't know if I won't be doing some summer internship. The only guaranteed time I'll be in Canada is from now till July.
I have been a PR since 2008 and always narrowly missed the days requirement, I finally completed it and don't want to give it up this time.
When would be the best time for me to apply? and what are some of the problems I could face.

Thanks
Harry
Hello,
I can understand the dilemma one faces in such a situation. But having said that you are the BEST judge to take a call in this regard.

By your own admission you have been a PR since 2008 and narrowly missed the days requirement till now. There can be many reasons behind it and I do not wish to delve into the details. So I see this as your BEST opportunity to apply in Oct this year. This I am saying because once you move out of the country and think of applying in 2021/2022 then at the time of application you will have to still fulfill the minimum time requirement of 1095 days within the previous 4 years(or whatever at that time the rule might be if rule changes for any reason) as of the date of your application. And who knows "life" may happen in Europe and you may not think of returning back to Canada for many more years. That means you will be back to square one i.e. at today's predicament or in a worse state might have lost your PR status depending on when you come back to Canada. (Link https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1468&top=10)

If you want to look at the situation in a more positive light then with the current slowness in the process assume you would not get an invitation for test for the next 12-15 months but at least your application will be "in process" that I can say very confidently. You don't have to believe my words you can have a look at the tracking excel files from previous 2-3 years. That means you will have to make arrangements to visit Canada on a short notice may be after a year. OR if you see Europe to be more exciting you might even change your mind then and cancel your citizenship application. Another chance, though a very remote one is your application getting processed quicker than the current normal. Who knows, IRCC might be working on an alternative to conduct the testing and oath together either remotely or by opening up more temporary offices. This no one can be confident about and claim to be a possibility. But seeing how the number of candidates that are increasingly getting accommodated in a single zoom meeting, for sure indicates that IRCC has something up it's sleeve. Yet another positive way of looking at it is that (if you check the tracking files particularly 2019) prior to the pandemic there were many applicants who have had their citizenship completed within 10 months time span. Not to be boastful I got mine in a bit more than 10 months even during the pandemic.

But I would not want to give you a false hope of getting your citizenship in such a short time span specially in today's time. Think well, prioritize if Citizenship matters the most or what come at the top of your list.

All the best. Stay safe, stay happy!

Reactions: Harry99

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

Thanks
Harry
If you are completing residency days in mid Oct then how come you would be able to leave in July and still meet the requirements to apply?
Either way, as Srinivas said you should apply as soon as you are qualified - doesnt matter what the wait time would be(years fly quickly just like your pr years).

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
If you are completing residency days in mid Oct then how come you would be able to leave in July and still meet the requirements to apply?
Either way, as Srinivas said you should apply as soon as you are qualified - doesnt matter what the wait time would be(years fly quickly just like your pr years).
OP meant July of 2021 to find accommodation for course starting in August 2021.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hi,

Thanks
Harry
Why wouldn't you apply next year before leaving Canada? Let's say in May 2021, and if it takes 12-15 months for the test invite, you can finish your masters and come back for the test and ceremony. I mean as an option.

Harry99

Aug 3, 2016
Hello,
I can understand the dilemma one faces in such a situation. But having said that you are the BEST judge to take a call in this regard.

By your own admission you have been a PR since 2008 and narrowly missed the days requirement till now. There can be many reasons behind it and I do not wish to delve into the details. So I see this as your BEST opportunity to apply in Oct this year. This I am saying because once you move out of the country and think of applying in 2021/2022 then at the time of application you will have to still fulfill the minimum time requirement of 1095 days within the previous 4 years(or whatever at that time the rule might be if rule changes for any reason) as of the date of your application. And who knows "life" may happen in Europe and you may not think of returning back to Canada for many more years. That means you will be back to square one i.e. at today's predicament or in a worse state might have lost your PR status depending on when you come back to Canada. (Link https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1468&top=10)

If you want to look at the situation in a more positive light then with the current slowness in the process assume you would not get an invitation for test for the next 12-15 months but at least your application will be "in process" that I can say very confidently. You don't have to believe my words you can have a look at the tracking excel files from previous 2-3 years. That means you will have to make arrangements to visit Canada on a short notice may be after a year. OR if you see Europe to be more exciting you might even change your mind then and cancel your citizenship application. Another chance, though a very remote one is your application getting processed quicker than the current normal. Who knows, IRCC might be working on an alternative to conduct the testing and oath together either remotely or by opening up more temporary offices. This no one can be confident about and claim to be a possibility. But seeing how the number of candidates that are increasingly getting accommodated in a single zoom meeting, for sure indicates that IRCC has something up it's sleeve. Yet another positive way of looking at it is that (if you check the tracking files particularly 2019) prior to the pandemic there were many applicants who have had their citizenship completed within 10 months time span. Not to be boastful I got mine in a bit more than 10 months even during the pandemic.

But I would not want to give you a false hope of getting your citizenship in such a short time span specially in today's time. Think well, prioritize if Citizenship matters the most or what come at the top of your list.

All the best. Stay safe, stay happy!
Thank you for taking the time to type such a detailed answer. I know the final decision rests with me but still wanted some advice before deciding on something. I think I will go with what you suggested and apply as soon as I fulfill the requirement. Thanks again.