+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship change and Canadian PR

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Hello Friends,

I am from country-A (Not visa exempt for Canada) and now living in Europe country-B (Visa exempt for Canada). I had applied for PR application from country-B and got approved in 2014.

Some background before I put my questions:

I landed in May-2015 and become PR and my wife and daughter become PR in July-2015.

My original plan was to do soft landing and go back to country-B where I am working since it was very good job in Europe.

Than luckily I got good permanent job in Canada even before my landing and I change my mind to quit job in Europe instead soft landing and move at once to Canada.

But things didn’t went very well and the Canadian company get closed within 6 months from my joining and all employee were laid-off. I was immediately start feeling depressed since I quit very good job in Europe and lose chance of that citizenship.

I decided to call my previous employer in Europe and they offer me job again so I move back to Europe in end of 2015.

Since then we all three are in Europe and eligible for Citizenship in sometime but by that time our PR card will be about to expired or will expired.

My intention to get 1st European citizenship and maintain Canadian PR for long term by move and staying there.

Questions:

When we become European citizen our Canadian PR card shows our previous nationality (from a country that doesn’t allow dual citizenship) so:

1. Due to expire PR card we can’t board direct flight to Canada and neither eTA is option since it will alarm that we are PR already. Any other thought on this?

2 Can we enter via US land border on European passport? Do we expect to have trouble re-entering Canada with our European passport? By that time we will be in RO breach.

3. What type of question we can expect at land border? Can we simply hide our PR and enter on European passport or still need to declare that we are PR?

4. In case we enter on European passport and stay in Canada for 2+ years (Safe side for renew) and can we renew our PR card? Are there any questions will be raised during renew of PR card due to change of citizenship?

5. If we are not able to enter on european passport or they know we in RO breach with PR, what are the option than?

I still have time to get my European passport but I am start preparing myself with information and options, instead waiting till last moment.

@Leon, @scylla,@dpenabill and all other seniors and group members, Please help!

Sorry for long post and your reading burden.

Last edited:

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You could apply for a PR travel document but you would have to state why you could not meet the RO. Reasons like having a good job or wanting to get citizenship in another country would not be considered under humane and compassionate grounds.

2. You could try entering from the US via the land border. They will likely peg you as a tourist and let you in with a 6 month visa.

3. Grey area. You probably should declare that you are a PR but odds are they will not catch you. If they ask, however, you have to tell the truth.

4. If you stayed 2+ years, you would be eligible to renew your PR cards. You should inform them of your change in citizenship.

5. If you get caught on entry as being a PR who is in breach of the RO, the question is if the immigration officer is going to report you or not. If they don't, you can still enter and stay for two years. If they do, you would have to appeal for your PR. You could then stay in Canada for the 1-2 years that the appeal process might take and see how you do. Since you don't have H&C grounds, it's likely that you will lose your appeal in the end.

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks lot Leon. Appreciate your detail answer.

2. If they let me in on tourist visa , than can I still live on PR and renew it? Please let me know. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, some people have managed to do this in the past. After all, you are still PR. Nobody will stop you from getting a job, getting health care etc.

If you are ever asked why you entered as a tourist, you should however probably not say that you were trying to avoid getting reported. You might say that you were actually only planning to visit and changed your mind or something like that.

Reactions: rish_ind

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I hope you don't have any more children because that will pose a problem. It is true that people have entered Canada through US border using visa exempt passports but they are getting better a cross referencing passports and your name and birthdate are the same so no guarantee that you don't get flagged as a PR.

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
I hope you don't have any more children because that will pose a problem. It is true that people have entered Canada through US border using visa exempt passports but they are getting better a cross referencing passports and your name and birthdate are the same so no guarantee that you don't get flagged as a PR.
Thank lot canuck78,
NO, we dont expect any addition to family member. Is it ok if i shorten my name during acquiring european citizenship? And in future when i am renewing PR i will declare that i had change my name with new citizenship. Is this the option?

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Yes, some people have managed to do this in the past. After all, you are still PR. Nobody will stop you from getting a job, getting health care etc.

If you are ever asked why you entered as a tourist, you should however probably not say that you were trying to avoid getting reported. You might say that you were actually only planning to visit and changed your mind or something like that.
Thanks lot again Leon, Hope i will able to enter on visa exempt passport without any issue and stay 2+ years.

By the way FYI, i am maintaining some tie with Canada since i left. (i.e. DL valid, Bank account with XXX amount , File tax each year as zero income etc.., mail diverting service from Canada post ...)) also had inform OHIP that i am out of country and renew once i will back. Also inform CRA about stop any CCB... And have all proof via emails...

I do not want to abuse any canadian welfare system. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank lot canuck78,
NO, we dont expect any addition to family member. Is it ok if i shorten my name during acquiring european citizenship? And in future when i am renewing PR i will declare that i had change my name with new citizenship. Is this the option?
Meant while you have been abroad after acquiring PR. You will have to go to court to change your name and carry a copy of your name change documents for all your previous documents. You would need to apply for a new PR card and all other Canadian documents. If you are doing this just to try and enter Canada you will actually draw more attention to yourself. Changing your name creates a lot of problems.

Just wanted to point out that no being able to travel internationally often creates problems depending on your job. I hope you work in an industry with very little business travel.

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Meant while you have been abroad after acquiring PR. You will have to go to court to change your name and carry a copy of your name change documents for all your previous documents. You would need to apply for a new PR card and all other Canadian documents. If you are doing this just to try and enter Canada you will actually draw more attention to yourself. Changing your name creates a lot of problems.

Just wanted to point out that no being able to travel internationally often creates problems depending on your job. I hope you work in an industry with very little business travel.

Thanks canuck78.
Than its better to keep same name and try to enter. I will keep in touch with you guys and will seek guidance.

Thanks again,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are getting into some pretty intentional misleading schemes. You won't find much support on tolerance for that on this forum.

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks canuck78 :)

I decided to honest when i seek entrance to Canada. I will simply say that my citizenship is changed and RO obligation than rest will be my luck.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a big problem with your plan there.
1. Of course you cannot travel directly to Canada from Europe, simply because you will not have valid PR card or PRTD. If you attempt to hide your status using your new country passport, then you will have big big problem later.
2. You can attempt to cross from USA, just be aware that secondary review will be almost certain, so you will have only low chance to plead mercy on immigration officer. If you try to hide that you are PR during border crossing (and because of your new passport you might be able to do it), you will immediately commit a misinterpretation.

So if ever you get into country itself without revealing that you are PR, 2 or 20 years will not help to wait to renew the cards. As one basic thing they will do is to compare their system with your claimed arrival and if that will not match, they will simply find the landing card where you are supposed to identify yourself as PR. So yes, that is a bad idea.

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks @vensak ,
I agree it’s bad idea.

I just mention in my previous reply that I will simply say the truth at PoE with pray to god. Rest will be my luck. I will try to explain some H&C mainly related to my child. Chances are slim but simply I will try. :)

Thanks again.

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
1. You could apply for a PR travel document but you would have to state why you could not meet the RO. Reasons like having a good job or wanting to get citizenship in another country would not be considered under humane and compassionate grounds.

2. You could try entering from the US via the land border. They will likely peg you as a tourist and let you in with a 6 month visa.

3. Grey area. You probably should declare that you are a PR but odds are they will not catch you. If they ask, however, you have to tell the truth.

4. If you stayed 2+ years, you would be eligible to renew your PR cards. You should inform them of your change in citizenship.

5. If you get caught on entry as being a PR who is in breach of the RO, the question is if the immigration officer is going to report you or not. If they don't, you can still enter and stay for two years. If they do, you would have to appeal for your PR. You could then stay in Canada for the 1-2 years that the appeal process might take and see how you do. Since you don't have H&C grounds, it's likely that you will lose your appeal in the end.
Hi @Leon ,
Few questions.

(In case), During my appeal (1-2years) , if I establish my self with good employment and preparing strong future roadmap to contribute in Canada, is it going to help? Involvement in local communities work will help? I am also taking some online course from Canadian university.
I can also explain hardship for child if she lose PR.

Are these all going to help?

Thanks for your time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @Leon ,
Few questions.

(In case), During my appeal (1-2years) , if I establish my self with good employment and preparing strong future roadmap to contribute in Canada, is it going to help? Involvement in local communities work will help? I am also taking some online course from Canadian university.
I can also explain hardship for child if she lose PR.

Are these all going to help?

Thanks for your time.
No won't help,