Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Mr Mohan, do you know if Canada post does forwarding of the certificate . Because PR cards are not forwarded. But are citizenship certificates forwarded.
THis is what i dont know. I tried to do forwarding but someone said they might not hence thought i didnt want to get it lost along the way of forwarding to new address, instead i tried to deal by contacting the new tenant at my old place.
So not sure about it. I dont know if anyone tried and successful.

Reactions: summaiya_t

Lamis

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-3-2015
File Transfer...
16-3-2015
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Reactions: summaiya_t

iSimran

Star Member
May 20, 2021
My Oath Ceremony is schedule on June 22, today I called IRCC for address change, as per agent if that's the case and If I change the address, then auth ceremony might get reschedule due to address change as my local office processing my file move the file to different office.
Now I moved to new location just recently and if I show my Driving license during oath ceremony will it cause any issue ?
during registration in oath they asked u your address and I think u can change your address during that

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Hi All,
Hope everyone is doing well and having some progress on their application.
I wanted to lean on some of you for advise. My oath date is set for June 29th and I have travels plans for July 11th. My uncertainty is how does one receive the citizenship application, is it via email or mail? and is there a way to expediate the request after you complete the oath ceremony? I want to ensure I can receive the certificate ahead of time so I can apply for the passport before my travels on the 11th. Hoping some of you can share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

The website states that you receive the certificate on the day of the oath, but its very vague in defining the timeline for this.

Last edited:

Hi All,
Hope everyone is doing well and having some progress on their application.
I wanted to lean on some of you for advise. My oath date is set for June 29th and I have travels plans for July 11th. My uncertainty is how does one receive the citizenship application, is it via email or mail? and is there a way to expediate the request after you complete the oath ceremony? I want to ensure I can receive the certificate ahead of time so I can apply for the passport before my travels on the 11th. Hoping some of you can share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

The website states that you receive the certificate on the day of the oath, but its very vague in defining the timeline for this.
The certificate is mailed out via Canada Post to your address on file, after the Oath Zoom ceremony. You can request the Officer at the end of the Ceremony to expedite the delivery/pickup of the certificate.

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
The certificate is mailed out via Canada Post to your address on file, after the Oath Zoom ceremony. You can request the Officer at the end of the Ceremony to expedite the delivery/pickup of the certificate.
Thank you for the clarification. I have been hearing that they mail out the certificate after the Oath but the response time in receiving it, seems to vary a lot. I wanted to confirm if there was a way to expediate this request. I will ask the Official who will be present after the Oath, to see what can be done, as I believe that is my only option. Appreciate the help as always

Reactions: 8494193

jupiter01

Sep 1, 2018
Thank you for the clarification. I have been hearing that they mail out the certificate after the Oath but the response time in receiving it, seems to vary a lot. I wanted to confirm if there was a way to expediate this request. I will ask the Official who will be present after the Oath, to see what can be done, as I believe that is my only option. Appreciate the help as always

I did my oath 19th of May and received the certificate today, I didn't request expedite from the officer, but I believe if you request during your oath it will maximum take 1 week to receive it. After receiving your certificate if you have travel evidence(air ticket etc) and are patient with waiting in long lines in the passport office, you'll travel on July 11th. In my opinion, It is difficult but not impossible.

I did my oath 19th of May and received the certificate today, I didn't request expedite from the officer, but I believe if you request during your oath it will maximum take 1 week to receive it. After receiving your certificate if you have travel evidence(air ticket etc) and are patient with waiting in long lines in the passport office, you'll travel on July 11th. In my opinion, It is hard but not impossible.
Also, depending on how adventurous one wants to be (and if it is possible logistically), you can use the certificate to enter Canada from the US by land if you can't get the Canadian passport in time (this trick assumes you can enter the US using your existing non-Canadian passport).

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
I did my oath 19th of May and received the certificate today, I didn't request expedite from the officer, but I believe if you request during your oath it will maximum take 1 week to receive it. After receiving your certificate if you have travel evidence(air ticket etc) and are patient with waiting in long lines in the passport office, you'll travel on July 11th. In my opinion, It is difficult but not impossible.
Thanks for the response and sharing your story. Wow, you did it on the 19th and just got it today? Good few weeks there. Not the most encouraging news with my tight deadline. I do plan to ask the Oath Official to expediate my request, if possible. I am hoping if I can get the certificate in 5 days after the Oath, I can look to get the passport under the express option which is next business day. But i also know they have a massive backlog with issuing passports, so not idea if the express option gets impacted. Glad to know its possible and not completely out of the question. I guess it depends on when I receive the certificate really and if I can do anything to expediate that request.

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Also, depending on how adventurous one wants to be (and if it is possible logistically), you can use the certificate to enter Canada from the US by land if you can't get the Canadian passport in time (this trick assumes you can enter the US using your existing non-Canadian passport).
This is a great idea, and did not even think about it. My current passport does have a US visa, so I can travel to the US on it. I had no idea I can enter Canada by land via the US, and still be allowed in the country via the citizenship certificate. I was under the impression that I would need a PR card or the Canadian Passport to come back into Canada. If I can use the certificate to come by land, I can delay my passport until after my travel.

This is a great idea, and did not even think about it. My current passport does have a US visa, so I can travel to the US on it. I had no idea I can enter Canada by land via the US, and still be allowed in the country via the citizenship certificate. I was under the impression that I would need a PR card or the Canadian Passport to come back into Canada. If I can use the certificate to come by land, I can delay my passport until after my travel.
Yeah - I may be in a comparable situation in the coming months, so did this research and even booked travel via the US to factor in this scenario. It is adding a drive to a US airport and parking the car there, but it will save my bacon if I am in a situation with a Certificate in hand but no time for Passport. I have a valid US visa in my current passport, so it would work.

I have crossed between US and Canada using the CoPR similarly back in the days when my PR card was yet to arrive. The same principle applies for the Certificate. CBSA will accept that as proof of citizenship - it is only public transport (airlines, trains, buses) that need a proper entry document (which is only a passport or PR card, as the case may be).

Related thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/entering-canada-by-road-using-citizenship-certificate.567971/

Last edited by a moderator:

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Yeah - I may be in a comparable situation in the coming months, so did this research and even booked travel via the US to factor in this scenario. It is adding a drive to a US airport and parking the car there, but it will save my bacon if I am in a situation with a Certificate in hand but no time for Passport. I have a valid US visa in my current passport, so it would work.

I have crossed between US and Canada using the CoPR similarly back in the days when my PR card was yet to arrive. The same principle applies for the Certificate. CBSA will accept that as proof of citizenship - it is only public transport (airlines, trains, buses) that need a proper entry document (which is only a passport or PR card, as the case may be).

Related thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/entering-canada-by-road-using-citizenship-certificate.567971/
Glad I can connect with someone who might be on the same boat. I am trying to do my research on the matter now, so I appreciate you being a few steps ahead. I also have a friend who is checking with his lawyer to confirm that this is still viable so once I hear something, I can come back and confirm here.
The issue is not getting into the states, we clearly have a visa for there, the issue arises coming back into Canada. I have used my PR to cross the land border and never had an issue, I am assuming it will be the same with the certificate.

Its good to know that its commercial flights or other forms of public transportation that require a passport or PR card to travel.

Appreciate you sharing the other link as well, good to know its been done before without issues. This will be my backup, if I get the certificate too late to apply for the passport.

Thanks again.

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Glad I can connect with someone who might be on the same boat. I am trying to do my research on the matter now, so I appreciate you being a few steps ahead. I also have a friend who is checking with his lawyer to confirm that this is still viable so once I hear something, I can come back and confirm here.
The issue is not getting into the states, we clearly have a visa for there, the issue arises coming back into Canada. I have used my PR to cross the land border and never had an issue, I am assuming it will be the same with the certificate.

Its good to know that its commercial flights or other forms of public transportation that require a passport or PR card to travel.

Appreciate you sharing the other link as well, good to know its been done before without issues. This will be my backup, if I get the certificate too late to apply for the passport.

Thanks again.
So my friend spoke with his lawyer, who said that she does not recommend traveling outside of Canada with out a PR card or Passport. The lawyer said there is a good chance one can be denied entry with the certificate. At the end of the day, it will come down to the border officer and more times than not, they will refuse entry to the person.

The lawyer also said there is no way to immediate the certification, unless its a family emergency. But i guess there is no harm in asking them anyway after the Oath.

Hope this bit helps.