Citizenship Certificate After Oath

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So my friend spoke with his lawyer, who said that she does not recommend traveling outside of Canada with out a PR card or Passport. The lawyer said there is a good chance one can be denied entry with the certificate. At the end of the day, it will come down to the border officer and more times than not, they will refuse entry to the person.

The lawyer also said there is no way to immediate the certification, unless its a family emergency. But i guess there is no harm in asking them anyway after the Oath.

Hope this bit helps.
Citizenship certificate is listed as acceptable document:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Reactions: 8494193

Lamis

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-3-2015
File Transfer...
16-3-2015
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
I did my oath 19th of May and received the certificate today, I didn't request expedite from the officer, but I believe if you request during your oath it will maximum take 1 week to receive it. After receiving your certificate if you have travel evidence(air ticket etc) and are patient with waiting in long lines in the passport office, you'll travel on July 11th. In my opinion, It is difficult but not impossible.
What is your office for the oath?

Vaibhav.goel85

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
NOC Code......
Hi All I did My oath today and sent the signed forms today itself. When certificates are mailed do you get any notification from IRCC local office or Canada post

Lamis

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-3-2015
File Transfer...
16-3-2015
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
We have received the certificates today - Oath on 17th May, status closed on 30th May, Office Niagara
If you don't mind me asking what was your seat number? Just trying to figure out if they are going according to that

Lamis

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
AOR Received.
13-3-2015
File Transfer...
16-3-2015
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015

Majiedo

Jul 30, 2015
Citizenship certificate is listed as acceptable document:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html
Yes it is listed. I actually even called CIC today to confirm if they would accept this as a form of re-entry and they confirmed they would. However the problem is not with them, its with Health Services and ArriveCan. The person I spoke with at CIC said that even though they would accept it, they cant confirm if ArriveCan/Health Services will. I have tried to check with them, unfortunately they are not very helpful. They asked me to select Citizenship Certificate as the option in ArriveCan, but no such option exists.

I am going to try and call back to see if I can speak with another person. But since we now have to complete an ArriveCan form before returning to Canada, they could prevent entry, even if CIC accepts the document.

Yes it is listed. I actually even called CIC today to confirm if they would accept this as a form of re-entry and they confirmed they would. However the problem is not with them, its with Health Services and ArriveCan. The person I spoke with at CIC said that even though they would accept it, they cant confirm if ArriveCan/Health Services will. I have tried to check with them, unfortunately they are not very helpful. They asked me to select Citizenship Certificate as the option in ArriveCan, but no such option exists.

I am going to try and call back to see if I can speak with another person. But since we now have to complete an ArriveCan form before returning to Canada, they could prevent entry, even if CIC accepts the document.
TBH, I will just select 'Birth Certificate' in ArriveCan since that's the closest "equivalent" and explain if asked that 'citizenship certificate' isn't an option listed in the app.

Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

You will get straight forward answer from cbsa rather than from cic(who might not wellversed with all actual border laws). CIC is never up to date even with their citizenship application processing laws hence i would ask them only related to immigration, not border crossings.
I travelled using citizenship certificate 10 days ago. In arrivecan i used nexus but didnt use it at border. i showed only the certificate along with non-canadian passport. No issues.
I called the border to confirm before traveling and we have seen posts by few on doing same to travel via land.

CoralDG

Jan 9, 2021
Hi,

I received my Canadian Citizenship Certificate yesterday 7th Jun, 2022 by regular mail.

I noticed my given name ( i.e. my first name + father name) is truncated in the Certificate. Family name is written correctly. My PR card has truncated given name. This was because of character limitations, as informed, when I called up during renewal time 2 years ago. However, my Confirmation of Permanent Residence has full given name.

My questions:
(a) If I go ahead with truncated given name on the certificate for Canadian Passport, will the passport also carry truncated name? OR
(b) Should I ask IRCC to change the certificate to reflect full given name.

I appreciate your guidance on it.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: BeerBeem

BeerBeem

Feb 1, 2022
Hi,

I received my Canadian Citizenship Certificate yesterday 7th Jun, 2022 by regular mail.

I noticed my given name ( i.e. my first name + father name) is truncated in the Certificate. Family name is written correctly. My PR card has truncated given name. This was because of character limitations, as informed, when I called up during renewal time 2 years ago. However, my Confirmation of Permanent Residence has full given name.

My questions:
(a) If I go ahead with truncated given name on the certificate for Canadian Passport, will the passport also carry truncated name? OR
(b) Should I ask IRCC to change the certificate to reflect full given name.

I appreciate your guidance on it.

Thanks in advance.
How long is your first name + father's name? I might run into the same issue because my First + Last name is 15 characters long and if it includes my middle name it will be 27.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello, anyone changed their address on the oath day and received the certificate at the new address with no problems ? Can we forward the certificate to the new address with Canada post ? Or can we pick up the certificate? I would really love if I can just pick it up .
Thank you

CoralDG

Jan 9, 2021
How long is your first name + father's name? I might run into the same issue because my First + Last name is 15 characters long and if it includes my middle name it will be 27.
Hi

My given name
= my first name + space + my father's name
= 8+1+9
= 18 characters

Thanks