+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship by descent question

aQuarius16

Jan 12, 2018
Hi all,
I recently obtained my Canadian citizenship and was chatting with my sister-in-law and she mentioned that her paternal grandparents were born in Canada. It made us wonder whether she would be eligible for citizenship by descent. We tried the "Am I a citizen" tool and it didn't give a definitive answer so we'd ask for advice here.

Her grandfather was born in Canada (she thinks Ontario) in 1945.
Her father was born in Australia in 1973 and she isn't sure whether he ever had his birth registered in Canada, or if he ever obtained his Canadian citizenship. She doesn't have much of a relationship with her father so she can't ask him.
She was born in 2000 in Australia.

Would it be likely she would be eligible for citizenship by descent?

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Im no expert. But based on my understanding she is not eligible.

Her father is canadian by descent (with or without citizenship certificate) and your friend is a 2nd generation born already. That, in general, disqualifies her as a canadian citizen. Not sure if there will be an exception to that rule.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I recently obtained my Canadian citizenship and was chatting with my sister-in-law and she mentioned that her paternal grandparents were born in Canada. It made us wonder whether she would be eligible for citizenship by descent. We tried the "Am I a citizen" tool and it didn't give a definitive answer so we'd ask for advice here.

Her grandfather was born in Canada (she thinks Ontario) in 1945.
Her father was born in Australia in 1973 and she isn't sure whether he ever had his birth registered in Canada, or if he ever obtained his Canadian citizenship. She doesn't have much of a relationship with her father so she can't ask him.
She was born in 2000 in Australia.

Would it be likely she would be eligible for citizenship by descent?
It's possible, but ONLY if her father's birth in Australia was registered with Canadian authorities. This could have been done by his parents at the time of his birth, or, later, by himself. It just had to be registered before the birth of your sister-in-law in 2000. If so, then she would have been born to a Canadian citizen, and become one herself. The 2009 changes to the Citizenship Act did not take citizenship away from anyone who already had it.