+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CITIZENSHIP APPLICATIONS - January 2015 Onwards

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
All applicants for 2015 Citizenship applications, let's get together here !

I will start with one Tip:
Do not send an unofficial transcripts for your degree, make sure you send an offical transcript in an sealed envelope.

i read it on forum that one applicant downloaded his unofficial transcript from university website and sent it along with his application, after few months he was asked to send an official one.

gqx

Dec 28, 2014
I have a question: I attended ESL programme and the proof I could get from the instituition is Report card (Only my signature, no shool signature). Can I send photocopies of it, together with the application? Thanks for your answers.

gqx

Dec 28, 2014
I have a question: I attended ESL programme and the proof I could get from the instituition is Progress Report (Only my signature, no shool signature). Can I send photocopies of it, together with the application? Thanks for your answers.

Jayl

Aug 12, 2013
I thought no one should send original documents though. I photocopied my official transcript when i sent mine. And... plz... lol if it says unofficial then it is not official ;D

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Jayl said:
I thought no one should send original documents though. I photocopied my official transcript when i sent mine. And... plz... lol if it says unofficial then it is not official ;D
Hmmmm.... interesting, cause an official transcript means a sealed transcript, that's what I was told by the CIC call centre !

And I guess by original document they mean original degrees, yeah they don't want that......lol

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
gqx said:
I have a question: I attended ESL programme and the proof I could get from the instituition is Progress Report (Only my signature, no shool signature). Can I send photocopies of it, together with the application? Thanks for your answers.
I am not sure and I hope you find a best answer for this, but I would suggest you to get some sort of letter from the institute you took ESL training from, letter could include the dates of your training.....

Jayl

Aug 12, 2013
Ah! Voila! This is from the CIC citizenship application instruction about providing proof of language proficieny. "If yes, send a copy of your diploma, certificate or transcript that shows you completed the program." Wouldn't it be weird if they only accept original transcript for education proof per say, and a photocopy of it for the language one?

SK_NKR

Dec 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Jayl

I Agree with you as it would be absurd to send "original" transcript only to find that CIC returned your application because it was incomplete and then the application got lost in the post with your "original" transcript or degree!!!!

Many people on the forum (July to Sept 2014) have indicated that their application got lost after having confirmation from courier that it was delivered and signed by receiver at CIC in Sydney.

Always send photocopies of all documents that you include with your application. This is outlined in the application guide as well as on the form.

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Jayl said:
Ah! Voila! This is from the CIC citizenship application instruction about providing proof of language proficieny. "If yes, send a copy of your diploma, certificate or transcript that shows you completed the program." Wouldn't it be weird if they only accept original transcript for education proof per say, and a photocopy of it for the language one?
Don't worry much, CIC's call centre's information is always screwed up ! I am sure you won't get a call for resubmitting anything ! !

Cheers ! !

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
SK_NKR said:
@ Jayl

I Agree with you as it would be absurd to send "original" transcript only to find that CIC returned your application because it was incomplete and then the application got lost in the post with your "original" transcript or degree!!!!

Many people on the forum (July to Sept 2014) have indicated that their application got lost after having confirmation from courier that it was delivered and signed by receiver at CIC in Sydney.

Always send photocopies of all documents that you include with your application. This is outlined in the application guide as well as on the form.
Actually transcripts are separate from the original scorecards, one thing i have observed is that not many universities in Canada provide original print version of scorecards, they only provide degree, but you can always request them for a transcript which is basically a print version of what you see on your university profile, but it's signed by University administration. And you are right CIC has a track record of loosing applications........

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Just want to share a note mentioned in the section 4 of guide for Application for Citizenship:

Note: Student identification cards and letters from institutions, teachers, principals are not accepted as official education records. For example, an official transcript from an educational institution would satisfy this requirement

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

SK_NKR

Dec 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gst8486 said:
Just want to share a note mentioned in the section 4 of guide for Application for Citizenship:

Note: Student identification cards and letters from institutions, teachers, principals are not accepted as official education records. For example, an official transcript from an educational institution would satisfy this requirement

@ gst8486
The page you quoted above namely:

clearly says:

"Step 1. Gather documents
What documents are required?

This section outlines the documents that you need to include with your application. You must also use the Document Checklist included at the end of the form (CIT 0002) to assist you gathering the necessary documentation.

Note. If any of the required documents are missing, or photocopies are not clear, your application may be returned to you."

The actual application form CIT 0002 (05-2014) E on page 3 section 6F says:

"6. F Work and education history in the past four (4) years before the date of your application:
See section 6 -"Step 2. Complete the application" and section 4 - "Step 1.Gather documents " in the instruction guide.

if you answered yes to questions A and/or B, list your work and/or education history (inside and outside Canada) in the past four (4) years, including the city and country, starting with your most recent. If you were not employed (i.e. you were unemployed, retired, homemaker, etc.) you must indicate the reason for being unemployed and confirm the dates of your unemployment under Work/Education" and indicate the time period. Do not exclude any period of time during the past four (4) years. Do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you. If you answered yes to attending an educational institution, you must provide photocopies of your education records. (See instruction guide for examples of education records."

You shared your "note" from Section 4 of the instruction guide (education records) but forgot to read the first paragraph under this section! which clearly states "Provide photocopies of all your official education records ".

Just to make it clear, "Official transcript" does not mean Original transcript, it means "Authorized by a proper authority" and a photocopy of this document is acceptable by CIC with your application (as indicated in the application form and the guide).

If you follow the forum topics especially ones that talk about the actual test day and experiences, you will realize that the test invite specifically mentions that the applicant should bring all "original" copies of the documents that they submitted with their application. This would allow the officer to check any document they had a doubt with.

It is not CIC who has "track record" of loosing the application, but when they return your incomplete application, they do not use the courier services like you do, when you send your application to them. They use regular post services, and therefore there is no way of tracking your returned application. This is where it sometimes gets lost!!!

CIC also does not call you or send you any electronic notification in email or ecas format to inform you that they are returning your incomplete form. The letter outlining the reasons for return is inside the returned package.

Therefore adding my 2cents to the thread you started, my tip to all future applicants would be:
" Read the instruction guide and the application form carefully, and in the event somethings are not very clear to you, then ask a specific question in this forum, and you will most probably get an answer from numerous seniors who have had years of experience (personal or from other applicants predicament), which would enable you to complete your application form as correctly as possible."

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
SK_NKR said:
@ gst8486
The page you quoted above namely:

clearly says:

"Step 1. Gather documents
What documents are required?

This section outlines the documents that you need to include with your application. You must also use the Document Checklist included at the end of the form (CIT 0002) to assist you gathering the necessary documentation.

Note. If any of the required documents are missing, or photocopies are not clear, your application may be returned to you."

The actual application form CIT 0002 (05-2014) E on page 3 section 6F says:

"6. F Work and education history in the past four (4) years before the date of your application:
See section 6 -"Step 2. Complete the application" and section 4 - "Step 1.Gather documents " in the instruction guide.

if you answered yes to questions A and/or B, list your work and/or education history (inside and outside Canada) in the past four (4) years, including the city and country, starting with your most recent. If you were not employed (i.e. you were unemployed, retired, homemaker, etc.) you must indicate the reason for being unemployed and confirm the dates of your unemployment under Work/Education" and indicate the time period. Do not exclude any period of time during the past four (4) years. Do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you. If you answered yes to attending an educational institution, you must provide photocopies of your education records. (See instruction guide for examples of education records."

You shared your "note" from Section 4 of the instruction guide (education records) but forgot to read the first paragraph under this section! which clearly states "Provide photocopies of all your official education records ".

Just to make it clear, "Official transcript" does not mean Original transcript, it means "Authorized by a proper authority" and a photocopy of this document is acceptable by CIC with your application (as indicated in the application form and the guide).

If you follow the forum topics especially ones that talk about the actual test day and experiences, you will realize that the test invite specifically mentions that the applicant should bring all "original" copies of the documents that they submitted with their application. This would allow the officer to check any document they had a doubt with.

It is not CIC who has "track record" of loosing the application, but when they return your incomplete application, they do not use the courier services like you do, when you send your application to them. They use regular post services, and therefore there is no way of tracking your returned application. This is where it sometimes gets lost!!!

CIC also does not call you or send you any electronic notification in email or ecas format to inform you that they are returning your incomplete form. The letter outlining the reasons for return is inside the returned package.

Therefore adding my 2cents to the thread you started, my tip to all future applicants would be:
" Read the instruction guide and the application form carefully, and in the event somethings are not very clear to you, then ask a specific question in this forum, and you will most probably get an answer from numerous seniors who have had years of experience (personal or from other applicants predicament), which would enable you to complete your application form as correctly as possible."
I have a very strong reason now to agree with you, check the below screenshot:

I noticed in the end of section 4 (Highlighted) it says they are asking for photocopies only, now i see no reason behind sending the original transcript issued by the university on my request.

Thanks for the help !

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
Fellow applicants, in the below website you would find some interesting about processing of Citizenship Applications.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/about_us/mandate/citizenship.asp