+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications Delivered: October 16-20, 2017 (C6)

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
Quick question. Does decision made mean file is closed and if all check out (as per the CO during interview), we will get a oath invite?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Quick question. Does decision made mean file is closed and if all check out (as per the CO during interview), we will get a oath invite?
A decision can be negative or positive. However it is positive in majority of the cases.

Do note that, till you take the oath anything could happen. Not trying to scare anyone, but in the past there have been cases that had their oaths cancelled and status changed from DM to IP, because of some administrative error with background checks. Hopefully, no one has to go through that.

Following is what ECAS says about DM status. Next expected step is Oath.

DECISION
MADE

(A decision has been made at this point.)

Applicant Notified
You will be notified by mail about the decision on your citizenship application.

If you meet the requirements, you will be invited to a citizenship ceremony where you will take the oath of citizenship and receive a certificate of Canadian citizenship.

If you do not meet the requirements, you will be informed in writing.

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
A decision can be negative or positive. However it is positive in majority of the cases.

Do note that, till you take the oath anything could happen. Not trying to scare anyone, but in the past there have been cases that had their oaths cancelled and status changed from DM to IP, because of some administrative error with background checks. Hopefully, no one has to go through that.

Following is what ECAS says about DM status. Next expected step is Oath.
Thanks. The CO officer did say congrats! Your file is complete. Expect oath in 2-3 months. In 2 days my status changed to DM. I am not worried about any background checks or anything. I am just concerned because pretty much everyone else who had DM around my time (who took test as the same day as me) have been invited for oath. So I was just trying to figure out what could be causing the delay.

Reactions: lonleyplanet1995

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thanks. The CO officer did say congrats! Your file is complete. Expect oath in 2-3 months. In 2 days my status changed to DM. I am not worried about any background checks or anything. I am just concerned because pretty much everyone else who had DM around my time (who took test as the same day as me) have been invited for oath. So I was just trying to figure out what could be causing the delay.
Probably the same reason behind some people getting AOR before others, despite applications being delivered on the same day or even earlier. Probably got put into a slow bin.

Reactions: lonleyplanet1995

sylviabenita

Nov 13, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-10-2017
AOR Received.
16-11-2017
Probably the same reason behind some people getting AOR before others, despite applications being delivered on the same day or even earlier. Probably got put into a slow bin.
:oops::(o_O Yup the mysteries of IRCC.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@pd123 PLEASE CONFIRM THE OFFICIAL FORM NUMBER FOR WHAT YOU RECEIVED

LOCATION WINDSOR
APP SENT : OCT 16-17
APP DEL : OCT 20-17
IN PROCESS : DEC 20-17
TEST DATE : MARCH 13-18
OATH DATE : AWAITING

I GOT A FORM IN THE MAIL A WEEK AFTER MY TEST TO FILL OUT THE QUESTIONNAIRE AND SUBMIT ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS WHICH INCLUDED MY WHOLE HISTORY IN CANADA AND ABROAD WHICH I FILLED IT OUT AND SUBMITTED NEXT DAY .I ACTUALLY MISSED TO ENTER 1 TRIP OUTSIDE CANADA FOR 5 DAYS . MY PHYSICAL PRESENCE DAYS ARE OVER 500 THEN REQUIRED.

DID ANYONE ELSE GET THIS KIND OF ISSUE!! WILL IT CAUSE MY APPLICATION DELAY . IT JUST HAD TO BE MAILED TO THE LOCAL OFFICE WHERE I WROTE MY TEST!!

. . . .

i received RQ- residence questionnaire. does any one know how long my application will be delayed because of that. As soon as i received it i submitted all the documents the next day!!

did any one else get this
no there were no such indication. the lady just verified my documents and i missed one entry from my passport which i travelled to US for 5 days!!

she said i will just have to verify for that date and then said you are good to go !!

i dont know what will be the next step and any approximate idea on how long my application will be delayed!! i just had to mail the RQ at the local office in windsor which was included in the return envelope!!

did anyone else get RQ!!
Again, PLEASE CONFIRM THE OFFICIAL FORM NUMBER FOR WHAT YOU RECEIVED.

This is in the lower left hand corner of the form, and has the format:
CIT #### (mm-yyyy) which may include a final capital letter indicating if it is the English or French version.

The likely official form number based on what you describe is CIT 0171 (10-2017); possible alternative is a version of PPQ (Physical Presence Questionnaire) such as CIT 0205 (10-2017).

In particular, you say it is the "RQ- residence questionnaire," and if it is indeed the form titled "Residence Questionnaire," the form is PROBABLY CIT 0171 (10-2017), or a version otherwise dated. Again, PLEASE confirm this.

(Description of questionnaire indicates this is NOT RQ-lite, which is CIT 0520.)

WHAT GETTING RQ MEANS:

The main thing RQ (issued at or after the test and interview) means is that your interviewer, or the Citizenship Officer responsible for your application, perceives a reason-to-question-presence and you, the applicant, are required to more completely prove you meet the physical presence requirement for citizenship.

It is bit unfortunate you rushed submitting a response, especially since it is likely you could have and maybe should have included documents you could not obtain within just a day, such as a printout from OHIP (assuming you were living in Ontario at the time of applying) showing dates medical services were obtained (unless there were none). This is something which warrants taking the time to carefully and diligently complete, double checking all your facts, putting it aside for at least a day before reviewing it thoroughly, and potentially doing some extra homework, especially as to the collection and submission of supporting documents.

The seriousness of this can range widely, but it is nonetheless a substantially important step at the least. However, it can be so serious as to mean IRCC might not conclude you have met your burden of proof UNLESS your submission affirmatively and to a large extent objectively documents ALL the days of physical presence you have declared . . . meaning, for example, IRCC might not infer presence in Canada the days between a date of entry and next shown date of exit, requiring some objective proof you were actually present in Canada those days. This can be tough for some applicants. Easy for applicants with a solid work history showing physical presence at a work site in Canada while employed by a readily identified and verifiable employer. Not so easy for applicants with periods of unemployment, self-employment, or employment with an employer which does NOT have an obvious workplace in Canada.

TIME LINE:

Thus, the impact on the time line can vary, and vary greatly.

If this RQ was triggered by criteria automatically triggering RQ without any overt or explicit suspicions, in that case a solid response to the RQ could facilitate minimal delay. Likely to be at least a month or three, potentially longer.

On the other hand, if this RQ was triggered by overt concerns about your physical presence, or explicit suspicions (especially any perception of compromised credibility, and even more so if there is any suspicion of intentional deception), such that the Citizenship Officer will review the submission pursuant to the File Preparation Template (or its current equivalent), that could result in a lengthy delay.

FRANKLY, the TIME LINE IS NOT the PRIMARY CONCERN:

I do not have any idea how strong the merits of your case are. To be frank, however, the forum is NOT seeing many reports of RQ at this stage of processing. The implication is that if RQ is issued, at this stage, it is fairly likely there is indeed a substantial concern. As noted, the RQ may be triggered by more or less mechanically applied criteria, but these days the odds appear to be higher that there is an explicit and somewhat serious concern.

Which is to say that the primary concern for someone issued RQ at or following the test and interview should be focused on submitting a response which will BEST SUPPORT A POSITIVE OUTCOME. How long it will take is, in this situation, a secondary concern. Proving actual physical presence is the PRIMARY CONCERN.

It is difficult to say whether you were issued RQ because of circumstances triggering formal criteria for issuing RQ or whether IRCC perceives cause to overtly question your accounting of days present in Canada. So I do not mean to cause alarm. If you have a strong case, and submitted a response which well-documents your strong case, this should go well, or at the least OK.

I note for example you have previously queried about living abroad after applying. This in conjunction with an error in the presence calculator could easily be WHY an applicant is issued RQ (rather than, say, RQ-lite). If you applied with a comfortable margin over the minimum, a "buffer" many call it, AND you have well-documented your presence in Canada, this should not be much of a problem.

If your application is now on a presence-case-track, in contrast, that is more complex, more complicated, and more serious. And likely to take longer. And the outcome may be at stake (depending on the particular facts and circumstances in your case).

Again, PLEASE confirm for us that this is the CIT 0171 form, or if not, which form it is. This information helps keep the forum informed so we can offer more and better information for those with questions.

pd123

Jun 20, 2017
@dpenabill

I GOT A NOTICE "Request for Documentary Evidence of your Residence in Canada"

FORM NUMBER : CIT 0171 (11-2017)E

MY PHYSICAL PRESENCE DAYS WERE AROUND 1550 SINCE I BECAME PR ON FEB 14-2014 AND PLUS I CAME TO CANADA IN 2010 DECEMBER AS A STUDENT WHICH ADDS UP ANOTHER 1 YEAR TO MY PHYSICAL PRESENCE DAYS!!

I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSED TO GIVE ME THE RQ I ONLY MISSED 1 ENTRY FROM MY PASSPORT AND THAT TOO FOR 5 DAYS!!

I AM WORRIED A LOT AND I DO NOT KNOW NOW HOW LONG MY APPLICATION WILL BE DELAYED. EVERYTHING WENT OKAY EVEN MY TEST I SCORED 100%.

THEY ASKED ME TO FILL OUT THE RQ AND MAIL ALL THE DOCUMENTS TO THE LOCAL CITIZENSHIP OFFICE IN WINDSOR !!
DOES THAT MEAN THAT IT WILL NOT TO GO NOVA SCOTIA AGAIN AND THE CASE WILL BE RESOLVED AT LOCAL OFFICE IN WINDSOR!!

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO GOT THE RQ . FROM WHAT I HAVE READ IN THE OTHER FORUM THE TITLE ON MY RQ SAYS "Request for Documentary Evidence of your Residence in Canada"
WHICH IS A LITE RQ CIT 0250 BUT THE FORM THAT I RECEIVED WAS CIT 0171 (11-2017)E.

GOD KNOWS WHATS GONNA HAPPEN !! MAKES ME WORRIED!!

pd123

Jun 20, 2017
@pd123 PLEASE CONFIRM THE OFFICIAL FORM NUMBER FOR WHAT YOU RECEIVED

Again, PLEASE CONFIRM THE OFFICIAL FORM NUMBER FOR WHAT YOU RECEIVED.

This is in the lower left hand corner of the form, and has the format:
CIT #### (mm-yyyy) which may include a final capital letter indicating if it is the English or French version.

The likely official form number based on what you describe is CIT 0171 (10-2017); possible alternative is a version of PPQ (Physical Presence Questionnaire) such as CIT 0205 (10-2017).

In particular, you say it is the "RQ- residence questionnaire," and if it is indeed the form titled "Residence Questionnaire," the form is PROBABLY CIT 0171 (10-2017), or a version otherwise dated. Again, PLEASE confirm this.

(Description of questionnaire indicates this is NOT RQ-lite, which is CIT 0520.)

WHAT GETTING RQ MEANS:

The main thing RQ (issued at or after the test and interview) means is that your interviewer, or the Citizenship Officer responsible for your application, perceives a reason-to-question-presence and you, the applicant, are required to more completely prove you meet the physical presence requirement for citizenship.

It is bit unfortunate you rushed submitting a response, especially since it is likely you could have and maybe should have included documents you could not obtain within just a day, such as a printout from OHIP (assuming you were living in Ontario at the time of applying) showing dates medical services were obtained (unless there were none). This is something which warrants taking the time to carefully and diligently complete, double checking all your facts, putting it aside for at least a day before reviewing it thoroughly, and potentially doing some extra homework, especially as to the collection and submission of supporting documents.

The seriousness of this can range widely, but it is nonetheless a substantially important step at the least. However, it can be so serious as to mean IRCC might not conclude you have met your burden of proof UNLESS your submission affirmatively and to a large extent objectively documents ALL the days of physical presence you have declared . . . meaning, for example, IRCC might not infer presence in Canada the days between a date of entry and next shown date of exit, requiring some objective proof you were actually present in Canada those days. This can be tough for some applicants. Easy for applicants with a solid work history showing physical presence at a work site in Canada while employed by a readily identified and verifiable employer. Not so easy for applicants with periods of unemployment, self-employment, or employment with an employer which does NOT have an obvious workplace in Canada.

TIME LINE:

Thus, the impact on the time line can vary, and vary greatly.

If this RQ was triggered by criteria automatically triggering RQ without any overt or explicit suspicions, in that case a solid response to the RQ could facilitate minimal delay. Likely to be at least a month or three, potentially longer.

On the other hand, if this RQ was triggered by overt concerns about your physical presence, or explicit suspicions (especially any perception of compromised credibility, and even more so if there is any suspicion of intentional deception), such that the Citizenship Officer will review the submission pursuant to the File Preparation Template (or its current equivalent), that could result in a lengthy delay.

FRANKLY, the TIME LINE IS NOT the PRIMARY CONCERN:

I do not have any idea how strong the merits of your case are. To be frank, however, the forum is NOT seeing many reports of RQ at this stage of processing. The implication is that if RQ is issued, at this stage, it is fairly likely there is indeed a substantial concern. As noted, the RQ may be triggered by more or less mechanically applied criteria, but these days the odds appear to be higher that there is an explicit and somewhat serious concern.

Which is to say that the primary concern for someone issued RQ at or following the test and interview should be focused on submitting a response which will BEST SUPPORT A POSITIVE OUTCOME. How long it will take is, in this situation, a secondary concern. Proving actual physical presence is the PRIMARY CONCERN.

It is difficult to say whether you were issued RQ because of circumstances triggering formal criteria for issuing RQ or whether IRCC perceives cause to overtly question your accounting of days present in Canada. So I do not mean to cause alarm. If you have a strong case, and submitted a response which well-documents your strong case, this should go well, or at the least OK.

I note for example you have previously queried about living abroad after applying. This in conjunction with an error in the presence calculator could easily be WHY an applicant is issued RQ (rather than, say, RQ-lite). If you applied with a comfortable margin over the minimum, a "buffer" many call it, AND you have well-documented your presence in Canada, this should not be much of a problem.

If your application is now on a presence-case-track, in contrast, that is more complex, more complicated, and more serious. And likely to take longer. And the outcome may be at stake (depending on the particular facts and circumstances in your case).

Again, PLEASE confirm for us that this is the CIT 0171 form, or if not, which form it is. This information helps keep the forum informed so we can offer more and better information for those with questions.

@dpenabill

i submitted enough documents that they required!!

following is the list if it gives you an idea:
1) passport colour pages even blank
2) my t4 for the eligibility period
3) my employment records.
4) my automobile insurance copy.
5) my tenant insurance.
6) my driving license colour copy from alberta and ontario
7) my business registartion , invoices and statement.
8) my registration with college of pharmacist
9) my practice permit.

dont know what else would they want to prove myself i was in canada!!

i had more than enough days required to be eligible for citizenship

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
FORM NUMBER : CIT 0171 (11-2017)E
Thank you for confirming which form you received. This really does help clarify things. The date, for example, clearly indicates that this is a version created specifically taking into account the changes in law implemented in October 2017.

THEY ASKED ME TO FILL OUT THE RQ AND MAIL ALL THE DOCUMENTS TO THE LOCAL CITIZENSHIP OFFICE IN WINDSOR !!
DOES THAT MEAN THAT IT WILL NOT TO GO NOVA SCOTIA AGAIN AND THE CASE WILL BE RESOLVED AT LOCAL OFFICE IN WINDSOR!!
I take it that the test and interview took place in Windsor, and as you note this is the local office processing your application. This should continue to be the local office processing your application.

As I observed in my previous post, it is very difficult to guess whether this is more about due diligence and verification, or if IRCC perceives overt cause for concerns or has explicit suspicions.

It appears you have been self-employed or employed by your own business for a significant period of time during the eligibility period. If IRCC has identified overt cause for concern or has explicit suspicions, yes this can make it more difficult to persuasively prove your case. But if your business records (invoices and all) readily reflect being engaged in operating the business while physically present in Canada, that should go a long way toward making your case.

I cannot offer an opinion about the sufficiency of your submission, but it appears to be substantially responsive. I am NO expert. I am NOT qualified to offer personal advice. And, as a matter of fact even if I was qualified, a forum like this is not a proper venue for sharing anywhere near enough detail to offer a reliable opinion. To obtain such an opinion you would need to consult with a properly authorized, reputable and experienced professional, a lawyer. Which is not to suggest you need to see a lawyer. I do not know. Most applicants, including most who have been issued RQ, do not need a lawyer.

Note too, I have not seen the 11-2017 version of RQ. I do not know what documents it requests compared to older versions.

As long as you met the statutory requirements, and continue to be qualified, and you respond appropriately to notices and requests from IRCC, the odds should be good this will go OK.

BUT it could take a long while. It might not take much more time at all. Or it could take months, and then go into a queue for a hearing with a Citizenship Judge which could delay the process a year. Again, this depends in part on whether this is more about due diligence and verification, or if IRCC perceives overt cause for concerns or has explicit suspicions. If the former, it should go well and quickly. If the latter, especially if there are any explicit suspicions, it could take a long while.

A KEY FACTOR could be whether or not you are currently living outside Canada. Your previous posts suggested this was a possibility. This tends to complicate things. It does not negate your qualification for citizenship and in itself should not cause the application to be denied. BUT for rather obvious reasons, those who appear to apply-on-the-way-to-the-airport have long, long been approached with suspicion (and indeed, for awhile, pursuant to Harper era amendments which were repealed by the current Liberal government, living outside Canada while the application was pending would support an independent ground for denying the application). If you are in fact living abroad now this, I suspect, could quite likely be the real reason for the RQ. (Please let us know if this is the situation . . . many, many forum participants ask about the risks of moving abroad after applying, and if this is your situation that helps clarify the issue better for others.)

For now, all you can do is wait to see how this goes. Be sure you are getting your mail timely and be sure to properly and timely respond to any further requests or notices from IRCC. Please let us know how it goes.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Our file status changed to In Process on February 20 2018.

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 27, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on January 29, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on February 20, 2018.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Does status In Process mean that our file was moved to our local Visa Office?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Our file status changed to In Process on February 20 2018.

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 27, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on January 29, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on February 20, 2018.
Updated the spreadsheet

pd123

Jun 20, 2017
Thank you for confirming which form you received. This really does help clarify things. The date, for example, clearly indicates that this is a version created specifically taking into account the changes in law implemented in October 2017.

I take it that the test and interview took place in Windsor, and as you note this is the local office processing your application. This should continue to be the local office processing your application.

As I observed in my previous post, it is very difficult to guess whether this is more about due diligence and verification, or if IRCC perceives overt cause for concerns or has explicit suspicions.

It appears you have been self-employed or employed by your own business for a significant period of time during the eligibility period. If IRCC has identified overt cause for concern or has explicit suspicions, yes this can make it more difficult to persuasively prove your case. But if your business records (invoices and all) readily reflect being engaged in operating the business while physically present in Canada, that should go a long way toward making your case.

I cannot offer an opinion about the sufficiency of your submission, but it appears to be substantially responsive. I am NO expert. I am NOT qualified to offer personal advice. And, as a matter of fact even if I was qualified, a forum like this is not a proper venue for sharing anywhere near enough detail to offer a reliable opinion. To obtain such an opinion you would need to consult with a properly authorized, reputable and experienced professional, a lawyer. Which is not to suggest you need to see a lawyer. I do not know. Most applicants, including most who have been issued RQ, do not need a lawyer.

Note too, I have not seen the 11-2017 version of RQ. I do not know what documents it requests compared to older versions.

As long as you met the statutory requirements, and continue to be qualified, and you respond appropriately to notices and requests from IRCC, the odds should be good this will go OK.

BUT it could take a long while. It might not take much more time at all. Or it could take months, and then go into a queue for a hearing with a Citizenship Judge which could delay the process a year. Again, this depends in part on whether this is more about due diligence and verification, or if IRCC perceives overt cause for concerns or has explicit suspicions. If the former, it should go well and quickly. If the latter, especially if there are any explicit suspicions, it could take a long while.

A KEY FACTOR could be whether or not you are currently living outside Canada. Your previous posts suggested this was a possibility. This tends to complicate things. It does not negate your qualification for citizenship and in itself should not cause the application to be denied. BUT for rather obvious reasons, those who appear to apply-on-the-way-to-the-airport have long, long been approached with suspicion (and indeed, for awhile, pursuant to Harper era amendments which were repealed by the current Liberal government, living outside Canada while the application was pending would support an independent ground for denying the application). If you are in fact living abroad now this, I suspect, could quite likely be the real reason for the RQ. (Please let us know if this is the situation . . . many, many forum participants ask about the risks of moving abroad after applying, and if this is your situation that helps clarify the issue better for others.)

For now, all you can do is wait to see how this goes. Be sure you are getting your mail timely and be sure to properly and timely respond to any further requests or notices from IRCC. Please let us know how it goes.
@dpenabill

thank you for helping me out with my concern!!

i have never lived outside of canada its just i have visited for a 3-4 small vacations and that too for 3-4 weeks max. i was an employee for 75% my eligibility period after that i started my own business which i personally operate in canada!!

I am checking my emails and mails regularly its just i dont know now what is the time frame the RQ processing at the local office , if you atleast come across who has the similar issue and got his citizenship please do let me know so i can think of when to expect my oath.

i also spoke to IRCC today and informed them about my case and told them about the documents that i submitted.
the agent said your application will be processed at local office in windsor . i asked him if RQ will delay processing of my application, he responded it will not delay your application process as long as you responded back to them with necessary documents and proper reasoning!!
also he mentioned current processing time of 12 months so if it exceeds that then you can call us back and we can investigate further .

but @dpenabill please keep me informed about other threads/ forums if someone has such issue!!

Once again thanks for your help

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
i have never lived outside of canada its just i have visited for a 3-4 small vacations and that too for 3-4 weeks max. i was an employee for 75% my eligibility period after that i started my own business which i personally operate in canada!!
Appears you should NOT have any serious issues and this could go forward on a relatively routine track. (Caveat: of course I do not really know how this will go; my best guess is, based on your reporting, it should go OK and not be delayed too long. That's an opinion more of a guess made from a distance.)

These days the focus of discussion about RQ-like requests and related issues is in the topic "RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205." Current page link: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rq-versus-physical-presence-questionnaires-including-cit-0205.534082/page-12#post-6813831

While that topic is predominantly focused on the PPQ -QAE process, pursuant to which applicants are issued a group of requests and required to submit the CIT 0205 form, the similarities in the various RQ or PPQ related procedures warrants continuing to address these issues there (I do not have time, for example, to follow all the various ongoing progress related topics, which tend to be where many will post that they have been issued one or the other of these requests).

Good luck and please keep the forum informed of your progress.