+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Applications after Bill C-6

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What shoud I be using for 2 pieces of ID? Driver's license and PR card?
It is not certain whether a PR card will suffice as one item of identification. Probably NOT but this is not certain (at least one report suggests it was for one applicant, but most other indications suggest it is not).

Passport and drivers license will usually suffice.

rockwidme

Oct 6, 2016
Hey All,

I am eligible for applying for the citizenship but have one concern . My concern is I do not have a sur name in passport from india , as a result my given name field was left blank and both my given names were used as my last name in my PR application . I was wondering will this have issues when apply for citizenship? is it better to fix this and then apply? how do I go about fixing it? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated

Thanks

CAforCA

Jan 27, 2009
Doc's Request.
20th Jan 2010
AOR Received.
25th May 2010
IELTS Request
15th Dec 2009 Taken Score 7.5
File Transfer...
20-01-2010
Med's Request
28-09-2010
Med's Done....
11-10-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
6/1/2011
LANDED..........
25/6/2011 Yoo Hoo
Hey All,

I am eligible for applying for the citizenship but have one concern . My concern is I do not have a sur name in passport from india , as a result my given name field was left blank and both my given names were used as my last name in my PR application . I was wondering will this have issues when apply for citizenship? is it better to fix this and then apply? how do I go about fixing it? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated

Thanks
Hi
You can proceed with your citizenship application and once you receive your citizenship you can apply for change of name. This situation is with many PR holders also - it is up to you how desperate you are for your citizenship status - if not then you can wait for your official change in name on your PR card and passport. You can apply after those changes to you documents.

canehh

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
There is your answer. I didn't realize it until I helped a friend with his application. Then i was 50/50 whether I signed it or not, and then I somehow convinced myself that I signed it 100%. Today I got my answer, now I am behind all the 10 million October applications.
Sorry for your application! You were lucky that they picked your application before so many other people and now at least you could resubmit your application without error. Some of us may only know about this type of error
Hey All,

Thanks
I had an Indian classmate and his first name is same as last name. I was very curious but never asked him about it, now I understand! When I knew him he was a Canadian Citizen so I don't think it's is an issue for you!

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Then probably you will receive AOR within today or tomorrow :)
Still nothing :-(

Details like how often you crossed the border can't be relevant for AOR. They are just doing a completeness check. They are not checking (yet) if what you say is true.

I think "random" is the most appropriate term here. A while ago I posted these thoughts about how IRCC starts processing the new applications:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-applications-after-bill-c-6.503102/page-141#post-6464226

So now imagine they have a pile of thousands of applicants. Why would they sort it by day of arrival? Imagine the amount of time this alone would take, time they could instead spend on processing applications. Sure, they will try to process the November applications before the October applications (roughly), but it would, with such a volume, in fact be an enormous amount of work to ensure that the applications are sorted by day. It might in fact very well be the case that they have agreements with some of the delivery services that they don't deliver every day but on a weekly basis and so on.

Long story short: If your application wouldn't be processed before an application that was submitted in late November, I would be concerned. But this "racing the day" narrative is something that started in this thread. It is just inconceivable to sort and manage (managing is a whole different story) thousands of envelopes by day unless you have an enormous manpower.

Regarding stapling/putting in a binder/plastic sheets: You can rest assured that this will not speed up your application. It only means that the person handling your file will have to do one more step. The very first thing they will do with your application, even before it reaches the local office, is to remove everything from the binder and put it into one of their document management systems. Then they will throw out the binder. The person who actually works on your file will never see that binder.
Thank you for the information! :)

@spyfy is right. For AOR, trips to US should have no effect. Officers in Sydney are mindless robots pretty much just looking for unanswered questions, missing documents, signatures, dates etc.

I too am waiting for my AOR, application delivered on Oct 13th. Given average time to receive AOR is 30-35 days, I would give it till end of next week before i start panicking a little.

As for a theory on how it's being processed, I think every officer has a pre-assigned pile of applications which are randomly chosen from a bin. I'm assuming this bin has all applications delivered between Oct 12 - Oct 18/19 or maybe 20 ... a weeks worth of applications. Now some officers are processing fast, others slow. This explains the random order of AORs, and why only Oct12 -20 applicants have received it so far. I guess their plan is to finish these applications before moving on (I truly hope!).

I also believe they have a small % of officers working on C6 applications, while rest are still going through C24 apps. Slowly they will all transition over and things will speed up. I believe they did this because of the vast number of applications received after Oct 11. I would assume their goal should be to get to average AOR in 30-35 days by November 11th - 13th (roughly 1 month after C6 was implemented).

I also hope that all C6 applications will be sent to local processing center in order of receipt (none of the C6 applicants have their statuses updated to "In Process" yet). As CIC's website indicates applications will be processed as such. This last bit is too much to hope for though.
For "As CIC's website indicates applications will be processed as such.", where did you see that on the website? I must've have missed that part.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Still nothing :-(

Thank you for the information! :)

For "As CIC's website indicates applications will be processed as such.", where did you see that on the website? I must've have missed that part.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=068&top=3

Why do some application processing times change and others do not?
This is normal because the volume of applications may vary from one month to the next. Rest assured that files are still being processed.

In many cases, a file is waiting in a queue for initial review. Applications are processed in the order in which they arrive. Some take longer to process than others. There is no maximum time frame for reviewing an application.

Reactions: MarceauBletard

Dimahq

Nov 22, 2012
I am mailing the application for me and my family tomorrow morning. My question is the eligibility period is 6 Nov 2012-6 Nov 2017. And i have more than 200 days extra than the 1095 days. So shall I sign Nov.6 2017 or Nov 7 2017 based on their statment that says: five years BEFORE the date of the application??

ksa0510

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-11-2014
IELTS Request
03-07-2014
File Transfer...
09-07-2014
Med's Request
18-05-2015
Med's Done....
03-06-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-07-2015
LANDED..........
21-07-2015
I am mailing the application for me and my family tomorrow morning. My question is the eligibility period is 6 Nov 2012-6 Nov 2017. And i have more than 200 days extra than the 1095 days. So shall I sign Nov.6 2017 or Nov 7 2017 based on their statment that says: five years BEFORE the date of the application??
Sign on the date of your presence calculator.Good luck

dsiddiqui

Oct 20, 2017
About the AOR do you get them in email and also in shape of a letter form CIC can some one comment??? please

dapin84

Star Member
Jul 28, 2010
I applied on October 12, and put the maternity period of my wife as employment, and I am realizing I should have specified maternity. Do you know if I can send and amended form to CIC?

krishna_05

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
I applied on October 12, and put the maternity period of my wife as employment, and I am realizing I should have specified maternity. Do you know if I can send and amended form to CIC?

We have also mentioned it as "employed" for that period. And I think it is what it is. A lady being on mat leave is considered to be employed on ROE if I'm not wrong.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It is not certain whether a PR card will suffice as one item of identification. Probably NOT but this is not certain (at least one report suggests it was for one applicant, but most other indications suggest it is not).

Passport and drivers license will usually suffice.
Only 3 lines in this reply? I think this ID has been hacked and this was posted by someone else... LOL, just kdding

Reactions: sistemc